PDA

View Full Version : FSW Ten Hammers!

AwYea
03-26-2006, 09:03 AM
This looks like the game I will trade GRAW in for this week. I never played the first one but this game looks like it could be off the hook with the new multiplayer mode on xbox live.

There is a new multiplayer versus mode where one player can control a team of coalition forces against another player controlling a team of insurgent forces in 8 different levels seperate of the single player levels. This sounds like a tactical squad based shooter that reminds of another game that UBI made years ago except you actually get to control a squad online and not just during single player.

Some people have said it has gotten bad reviews in gaming magazines because of A.I. issues,complicated controls and it's too difficult. I think the reviews where just based on single player also. I don't really know I haven't seen the reviews but if it's just because of complicated controls and it's too difficult that's even more reason to buy it for me.

Maybe the developers of UBI might want to take a look at this game. It might help remind them of what made GR a good game.

AwYea
03-26-2006, 09:03 AM
This looks like the game I will trade GRAW in for this week. I never played the first one but this game looks like it could be off the hook with the new multiplayer mode on xbox live.

There is a new multiplayer versus mode where one player can control a team of coalition forces against another player controlling a team of insurgent forces in 8 different levels seperate of the single player levels. This sounds like a tactical squad based shooter that reminds of another game that UBI made years ago except you actually get to control a squad online and not just during single player.

Some people have said it has gotten bad reviews in gaming magazines because of A.I. issues,complicated controls and it's too difficult. I think the reviews where just based on single player also. I don't really know I haven't seen the reviews but if it's just because of complicated controls and it's too difficult that's even more reason to buy it for me.

Maybe the developers of UBI might want to take a look at this game. It might help remind them of what made GR a good game.

HEEGZ
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Just so you know, it is more towards tactical play than being a shooter. You don't actually control a guy and aim your gun. I beat the first FSW and really liked it, though alot of people don't like not being able to shoot. They added a focus mode or something where you can manually aim where one of you guys will fire, but it is definitely a tactical game. I played the demo briefly and was pretty impressed with the difficulty and improvements over the first game. Sorry to hear you are trading in GRAW though, was hoping to catch a few missions with you on LIVE. My gamertag is HEEGZ if you want to shoot me a FR and play.

AwYea
03-26-2006, 02:34 PM
Thanks HEEGZ for the info. I've been looking at the info on this game and I seen where they added a option where you can take control of one of the players this time. I guess it's the focus mode you mentioned. Do you know anything else about this mode. I assumed you could take total control of the player and move him around or whatever? Is that all you do is control the aim? Can you switch to any squad member? I thought I read where you got to actually fire with one of the members this time instead of just tossing greneades this time.

I'm going to give it a try regardless. I like more of the strategy type games anyhow. If you plan on getting this game I will send you a FR when I get this game. I don't play online much at all anymore but I will definetly give this game a go online. This is exactly what I've been looking for in a online mode. This is the only game I've heard of online for the xbox where you control more than one person.

HEEGZ
03-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Okay going to say alot, so will use bullet points for clarity:

-Basically once you order your squad to a location you can then possess ANY member of the squad and use the 'focus' mode by holding down a button and looking where you want him to shoot. When you release the button he fires his weapon.
-You can't move him from that first person perspective. You can only move your men as a squad or two man buddy team.
-It's not like you take control of a guy, move him around while shooting with your right trigger ala a shooter. You move the squad, possess a guy if you want, and select where you want him to shoot at from a first person perspective.
-The demo disc from the Official Xbox Magazine for January of 2006 (disc #53) has a playable demo on it, or you can rent it before you buy.

*** If you are interested in controlling more than one person, even a full sized platoon in a realistic FPS military game, then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND 'Operation Flashpoint: Elite' for the original Xbox. It is by far the best military game I have ever played. It is set during the mid-80s during the cold war and is the US vs. Russian military. There is a mission editor, you can fly Blackhawks, Cobras, Apaches, A10s, Abrahms, Bradleys, Humvees, Jeeps, and about 3-4 dozen types of infantry load outs. From russian hardware you can choose alot but here's a few: MI-24 HIND, T72, T80, BMPs, etc. You can select your weapons from ammo/weapon crates and fully customize your gear. There is a wide range of weapons to choose from both NATO and Warsaw Pact. I am in a tactical gaming clan and it is one of our main games. It even uses HDR lighting to great effect, and has really, really good AI.

Let me give you an example of a mission a few months ago. Our clan started up a custom mission someone had made in the editor. At the beginning of the mission we split up into two squads of three each, Alpha and Bravo. There was an even mix of rifles, LMGs, and sniper rifles. A couple of us are rated for flying the Blackhawk, in this case it was Ghost 9 (his call-sign). He started up the helo, after the rest of us had selected our gear, we loaded up in the back. Our squad leader used the topographical map to guide the bird into our insertion point, and we hopped out. We split up and moved forward by bounds towards our objective and one squad got ambushed by spetznaz losing two. After eliminating the enemy, our squad leader called off the mission and the remaining four retreated to a nearby stand of trees. He called for an emergency extraction and when Ghost 9 got close with the Blackhawk, we popped red smoke, the helo swooped down and loaded up from a hover, then took us back to base.

There are four maps in Flashpoint and they are each 100 km square! There is little to no lag on LIVE and framerates are solid. I could go on and on about how cool this game is, but you can read the websites for it if you want to know more. Just so you know, it is not for everyone. It got some great reviews and some bad reviews, and some people absolutely hate the graphics, while I love them. You can play any vehicle/person in first OR third person as well. It is truly a gem of a game IMO, and definitely worth picking up if you are really a strategic or tactical gamer. Okay, enough raving from me. Xyonics or I can tell you more about it if you want, or point you in the right direction.

Oh, I don't know if I'm going to get 10 hammers yet or not, might rent it first.

-HEEGZ

My clan site if you are interested:
http://www.tacsimopsgroup.com/
http://gamesource.groups.yahoo.com/group/TacSimOpsGroup/

AwYea
03-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Yea, I had OFE, great game, best millitary game I've played by far. Matter of fact it's was the best game of any kind I've played for a while. I wish there was more like it. I hate to say I traded it for this. I think I actually played one of Xyonics maps online. It was all civilians and everyone had pistols.

Well, maybe I'll see you in FSW. I might not like it either but it sounds like something different than I've ever played before.

SPC.GRAY
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Okay, the first FSW was the reason I bought an Xbox to begin with (back then, it was only available on Xbox). It's definately a game where you have to think during gameplay (something Redstorm is notorious for excluding). I love it. I bought 10 Hammers the day it was released. It's awesome. Then again, if you enjoy the mind-numbing action of Redstorm, you may want to check out Halo instead.

HEEGZ
05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
How is it on Live?

SPC.GRAY
05-03-2006, 01:22 AM
It's great, though I'm trying to get ahold of Pandemic for some patch-work ideas. I was able to get ahold of THQ, though they told me "they were not accepting unsolicited feedback at this time." I asked how I could become "solicited," but they failed to respond.

Put Simply:
Co-op online: Awesome;
Versus online: Needs imporovment, but generally enjoyable.

HEEGZ
05-03-2006, 03:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SPC.GRAY:
...they told me "they were not accepting unsolicited feedback at this time." I asked how I could become "solicited," but they failed to respond. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
ROFL
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Put Simply:
Co-op online: Awesome;
Versus online: Needs imporovment, but generally enjoyable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm only really interested in the co-op, might have to give it a rent soon.