PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Torpedoes

rcocean
08-02-2005, 05:15 AM
I'v been using magnetic torpedoes in Oct 1940 onward to sink Merchant ships.

Yet, I thought Germans -like the US and British - Stopped using Magnetic torpedoes in 1940 and didn't start using them again until they got a reliable pistol in 1942.

I know the US stopped using Magnetic pistols in 1943, and they (and the British) NEVER made a reliable magnetic torpedo pistol during the war.

Does anyone know if the Magnetic Torpedoes are realistically modeled?

WilhelmSchulz.-
08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
In 42 the U.S made a new exploder and it was relieble. But many Sub Skippers still trusted there impact det.

panthercules
08-02-2005, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by rcocean:

Well, I can't say for sure whether or how realistically they are modeled, but I know that even though things have improved lately (I'm in November 1941) compared to the way it was in 1940, I'm still getting a higher failure/premature explosion rate with my magnetic pistols compared to using the impact ones - this failure rate was quite a bit higher for my boat in late '39 and '40 than it is now, so it seems like they've at least made an attempt at modeling this factor in the game.

Braunbecker
08-03-2005, 12:09 PM
I do not use them any longer ,100% realism rub 1.42. The same with steam torpedoes

paulhager
08-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by rcocean:
I'v been using magnetic torpedoes in Oct 1940 onward to sink Merchant ships.

Yet, I thought Germans -like the US and British - Stopped using Magnetic torpedoes in 1940 and didn't start using them again until they got a reliable pistol in 1942.

I know the US stopped using Magnetic pistols in 1943, and they (and the British) NEVER made a reliable magnetic torpedo pistol during the war.

I can't answer whether or not the mod is realistic because (1) I don't know the historical failure rate pre- and post- fix, and (2) I haven't kept track of all my magnetic torp shots in the game so I have no objective measure of the game stats. I assume that realistically modeling the torps would be fairly trivial.

Apropos of this, I've noticed that since switching to a IX-C (last two missions), a tactic that I was using for the past year of game time (late 1940 to late 1941) is now producing different results because of increased torp failures. My tactic has been to fire a spread of 2 torps with from 0.5 to 1 degree separation depending upon range at a large target (C2, C3, T2, T3). This will almost always guarantee a kill if both torps hit and usually get a kill if only one hits. I found that the large cargo ships were often requiring more than one torp and frequently more than two.

Since switching to the type IX, I've noticed that one of the torps in a spread will often predetonate. This happens even when there is minimal wave action. It seems to happen between a quarter and a third of the time which is enough to make me wonder if I've found a bug.

ILikePortillos
08-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I've just been fitted with magnetic torpedoes on my VII-B. The first, and only 2 I've launched, have exploded about a thousand meters out. Whether it's a decision from BDU or not, I'm opting out until a later date.

CRSutton
08-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Failure rate was pretty high. One German officer complained to the higher ups that they might as well send them to war with "wooden rifles".