PDA

View Full Version : Ways to show the true genius of the AI

FatAslin
03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
it seems that the only fun im getting out of the AI of the soldiers is that when i shoot at them they run for cover. Im not experiancing them working as a team, attacking me or anything else. They simply run for cover and wait for me to attack.

Ive read reviews where reviewers talk about the mercinary's flaking them etc... this has never happened to me. Has it happened to you guys. I really want to know wther stuff like this happens because from the way i play, the AI isnt exactly what it was made out to be...

Perhaps its just me, perhaps im playing the game wrong... Being more aggresive so they wait for me to come after them?

FatAslin
03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
it seems that the only fun im getting out of the AI of the soldiers is that when i shoot at them they run for cover. Im not experiancing them working as a team, attacking me or anything else. They simply run for cover and wait for me to attack.

Ive read reviews where reviewers talk about the mercinary's flaking them etc... this has never happened to me. Has it happened to you guys. I really want to know wther stuff like this happens because from the way i play, the AI isnt exactly what it was made out to be...

Perhaps its just me, perhaps im playing the game wrong... Being more aggresive so they wait for me to come after them?

Shuzer
03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
What difficulty are you on?

I notice that on Realistic, they don't do much of anything with teamwork, instead, one merc can run up, survive 10 shotgun shots, and then kill you with one bullet.. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I haven't tried any lesser difficulties, but yeah, I haven't noticed the AI working as a team very much

But, I dislike that Realistic is less realistic than the name implies

Hakuryu9
03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Yea, they flank me all the time, and I hear them ordering each other forward alot.

My gripe is with long range battles... seems I can snipe at will, and then when they get close if there is only 1 path I just mow them down... and they on coming(dont use smoke grenades, etc). Sniping across large body of water in destroy towers mission... they all move around crouched and never fire at me, but there are like 10 gun boats available for them to use... untouched. Boy are they dumb at long ranges.

FatAslin
03-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Yep, so its roughly the same with you guys..

I play on medium difficulty, its been pretty easy to be honest, i should have started on challenging, but im 2/3rds of the way through now so no matta.

im.Danger
03-27-2004, 05:05 PM
They sneak up on me alot, and many times they call for backup when a guy nearby get's shot. I'm playing on challenging.

aguamoose
03-27-2004, 05:24 PM
well, i might be 5 miles away but they always seem to see me when i try to be stealthy, but hey thats what i get for wearing a red hawaiian shirt, maybe i should swap my shirt for some camo of a corpse. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

bent_toe
03-27-2004, 05:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by im.Danger:
They sneak up on me alot, and many times they call for backup when a guy nearby get's shot. I'm playing on challenging.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same for me..only im playing on Easy.

http://img11.photobucket.com/albums/v35/imghost/chillerFClogo.jpg

GregP
03-27-2004, 05:44 PM
I'm finding the AI to be pretty challenging, even though they seem to survive way too many close-range gunshots.

One real fun thing to do, I've found, is to lure a vehicle toward you and then stand behind a tree. They'll smash right into the tree every time! Then they're sitting ducks.

Arkanian_Xeno
03-27-2004, 08:18 PM
I started the game on the hardest setting' why you ask?

Because if youre a veteran why would you start the game on medium or easy? Your not giving the Devs the credit they deserve.

On the hardest level Ive found my self hiding in a corner sucking my thumb and thinking, find a happy place, find a happy place.

So please dont start complaining that the game is dumbed down when your playing it on mediocore levels!

Yes there are times where the Ai do things you'd think they wouldnt. But then again weve died several times so are we playing the smartest way either?
This game is the basis of what all AI shouldve been years ago. This is just a foot in the door to what we'll see in the next few years. So be patient and absorb the hard work our Crytek team has accomplished. DeusX 2 has been working on their game for years, they launch it and the game was utter crap. These guys worked on this game 3.5 years and have come closer than most of the veteran designers on thier third title.

Vyer
03-27-2004, 08:24 PM
For me; they flank. If I'm holed up in a building, they take and cover all exit points. They fire into windows.

When I'm in the jungle and fire, they take cover. Then they move around obstacles. I really have to guess at which side of a tree or boulder they will appear from after taking cover behind it.

Their snipers can be pretty good if warned.

So far...I'm impressed with the AI. Nothing completely revolutionary, but damn good.

goot
03-27-2004, 08:45 PM
The AI in this game is amazing. Make sure you play on Realistic difficulty and then u'll notice the difference.

They flank, work as a team, take cover, you name it.

rogo121
03-27-2004, 09:01 PM
This is by far the best AI ever!!
They flank snipe pop up behind you run for help when they are overrun. Indoors admittedly they are thick but hey...
And those mutants THEY ROCK

AussieMADMAX
03-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Wtf they come from all directions ,Ai is awsome they flank me i love to listen to them from a distance and hear the orders they give each other.. (tactics).Blowing choppers out of the sky is unreal seeing them crash into the jungle in flames http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gifSnipers are deadly...i never play games on easy why bother you dont get the real effect!

Nostradamus92
03-27-2004, 09:22 PM
this is not teamwork or anything, but one time ...i was walking down a slope and used my binocs and didnt see any ercs...then i walked a bit furth, and the sneaky baster stood behind a big rock and gunned me down...i found that rather suprising http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------------------------------
Fighting for peace is like ****ing for virginity

Mangapork-"the CryEditor makes me mess my pants."

Skullguise
03-27-2004, 09:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arkanian_Xeno:
On the hardest level Ive found my self hiding in a corner sucking my thumb and thinking, find a happy place, find a happy place.

So please dont start complaining that the game is dumbed down when your playing it on mediocore levels!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't agree more. I have been playing on challenging mode. I don't know how anyone hasn't seen the brilliance of this AI.

ESPECIALLY in the regulator level where 2 loads of armored mercs drop down and join the 10 or so other guys and proceed to slaughter you. I got crushed if I left the building after blowing it ip.

So there I was trapped inside the burning building with mercs running at full speed across the doorway lobbing grenades or bursting SMG's into the door each pass. Each time they straffed the door they would duck and take cover behind crates outside my field of view from inside the building.

So then I think. OK its just a simple AI program. I can outsmart it! So I run behind the flames and get in the prone postion so that they can't see me thru the flames. Then they would have to get thru the flames to get at me and they would take damage. BUT NOOOOO. What do I hear? You guessed it. "FRAG!!!!" and then "kachink **** **** ****". Not one of those bastiches even bothered to run into my "clever" trap. And I have just enough time to think I am truly getting PWNED like a true noob in a frantic game of UT2K3. And then I get to see the truly cool death seen you all no doubt have seen when you get naded in this game.

It certainly doesn't help my pride any that the mercs will yell out "You like that?" right after they have followed up on their promise to "Shoot me in my face!". They should also be yelling out stuff like "You got no skillz" "Go home noob" and then do the jkl: dance after they have properly handed me my own a**.

I have seen many many times the AI flanking and working as a team. Granted its not perfect. They sometimes just stand around and let pick you them off with a silenced SMG from 100 meters away. But the AI is certainly WAY better than ANY game I have ever played.

tncn241tncn
03-27-2004, 10:20 PM
The AI is iffy. It's definately not "amazing" or even "good", you guys just have beer goggles on. However when it works it is good - and they do flank when possible (later on you'll see this way more than earlier). But that doesn't stop the *shoots guy in head from afar* "ARE YOU ALRIGHT?!?!" *second guy stands there, then gets shot in the head also*... for example http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

L337Bossman
03-27-2004, 10:23 PM
I don't know if its the AI or what, but I keep getting destroyed when I get into close quarters battles. For some reason I have a very difficult time hitting them when they're strafing in front of me, while they on the other hand seem to have 100% accuracy.

I think that the strafing animation is a bit screwy, maybe its my settings or something? They move at like a sprint sideways, filling me with holes from their p90s. I also have to unload about a full clip into them with that high tech scoped gun before they drop.

I'm only playing on Medium!

I don't suck at fps, I've played em all, what's going on lol.

SPOILER

How do you guys kill these rocket monsters? I've just started running past them, since I waste practically all my ammo on them without them dying and I have no health after fights with them. And when there's 3+ of them? Do you guys just run? It takes all my nades and rocket launcher ammo to kill them practically.

PS&gt; How do you guys play on realistic setting? I tried it and died in 2 or so shots on the first level, and the AI spotted me from halfway across the map.

Someone said that a lot of the foliage on very high settings aren't there, so you think you're hiding but to the ai you're not. Could this be the problem for me?

QANU
03-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm going to wait until farcry goes on sale for $40 at Fry's or $30 at GoGamer to buy it. In the demos though, I was routinely flanked. Especially in the research demo. My only real complaint about the AI is that they don't all gang up on you. Seriously, which is more important, fixing your stupid boat or hunting down a very dangerous guy with a bunch of guns and rocks?

lordfirefox
03-27-2004, 11:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have seen many many times the AI flanking and working as a team. Granted its not perfect. They sometimes just stand around and let pick you them off with a silenced SMG from 100 meters away. But the AI is certainly WAY better than ANY game I have ever played.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Key word here is "Silenced", the enemy doesn't hear the Suppressed fire of the MP5, hence the name "Suppressed MPS SMG". - Captain Obvious.

Uh yeah what he said.

chu897
03-27-2004, 11:47 PM
This is hands down the best AI i have played with in an FPS so far.

It's not perfect but I wasn't expecting it to be, it never will.

vannostrom1974
03-28-2004, 12:07 AM
Just had a great show of AI last game i played. Near the start of Research just up the grassy slope to the left, i was shooting down on 2 mercs but retreated when i emptied my mag. While i was running back for cover they came up the hill after me, 1 went way right and flanked me. He went for cover behind a tree, peered out and took a few shots, then run over to another tree and kept on doing this till he killed me. I couldn't line up my shots cause he was running pretty fast and i couldn't predict where he would pop out from the trees. Overall this was really impressive and on challenging difficulty.

JonnyY88
03-28-2004, 12:21 AM
to the fellow who said he was waiting until the price drops to 40 bucks... uhh... it is 40 bucks, go buy it

Jopepie2
03-28-2004, 02:59 AM
I had one merc waiting behind the door until I walked in and shoot me in the back.
Could be just some pathfinding-problem http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
but anyway... suprises like that are priceless..
This game just keeps on amazing me.

dUEDEN
03-28-2004, 05:29 AM
all i've seen the mercs do is hide and call for help, nothing more, nothing less... im disappointed http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif plus it feels like there are alot of scripted AI events? or maybe it's just me, i dunno http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif nice graphics tho..

- Intel Pentium 4 3,2Ghz HT - FS 8x AGP 800Mhz FSB - 1024 DDR RAM PC3200 - Sapphire Radeon 9800 128M - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum - Western Digital Caviar 250GB - Logitech Z-540 / Sennheiser HD212 Pro - Logitech MX500 -

Lt2step
03-28-2004, 06:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakuryu9:
Sniping across large body of water in destroy towers mission... they all move around crouched and never fire at me, but there are like 10 gun boats available for them to use... untouched. Boy are they dumb at long ranges.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you ever joined a MultiPlayer game when the snipes are already set up? That would let you walk in their shoes for a while LOL. What else are you going to do when a sniper is set up 1/4 mile away and you have no idea where the shots are coming from?

It's only a game
but it makes my heart race just the same.
Comp Specs
P4 2.7 Ghz 533fsb
1GB Kingston PC3200
Gforce3 Ti500 128mb (56.64)
Asus P4PE 533fsb MBoard
Soundblaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 80gb ata133