PDA

View Full Version : Very angry about pre-order information

alephzombie
08-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Had the pre-order information on Steam included the fact that UbiSoft was going to require me to have an ACCOUNT with them to play the game I was purchasing, I would not have purchased it. I refused to buy the Settlers games because of the DRM methods used, and I should have followed my instincts and stayed away from any Ubisoft game, it seems. I'll be complaining to Steam as well, but I'm angry that there was no disclosure of the requirement. I hate the way game companies are commoditizing our use of their games, as though paying for the game itself is not enough for them, we have to join their communities as well.

It was a pleasant surprise to see no sign that Ubisoft was doing that with From Dust, and I resent that it was a mistake to believe it. I generally distrust Ubisoft and was willing to give this title a try to mend my impression of them since there was no mention of your usual invasive DRM methods on the pre-order information. This reinforces my distrust and cements my resolve not to buy any more Ubisoft games in the future.

I should not need to log in and provide an email to your servers to play a game I ALREADY BOUGHT, one-time activation or not. Unlike many people I actually READ what you force us to agree to in order to play the game, and it's infuriating. After what people went through with PSN you'd think gamers would be more conscious of how stupid it is to keep distributing bits and pieces of identifying information to every company that churns out a game, but no. They'll still put up with this. Well not I.

EA lost my business this way, so did Blizzard/Activision, and next time I make a game purchase more of my money will be going to a company like CDProjekt. I bought an extra copy of the Witcher 2 just to support their bucking this trend, and I wish more companies would follow suit. Every company that does will get every cent I can see spending on them. I have never stolen a game in my LIFE and I do not enjoy being put through this garbage just because greedy companies are so terrified of people who will steal, as though those people have any problem with giving you a completely false identity to resell on the social network market.

I hope every company dumb enough to keep pursuing this commoditization of the user chokes on the kind of user that embraces such treatment-- as Blizzard is presently demonstrating, it's not a very good customer base to cater to.

KadorX
08-17-2011, 01:43 PM
While I also hate the drm and wont buy because of it, you obviously missed this on ghe steam From Dust store page

HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THIS VIDEO GAME AND ONLINE FEATURES AND TO PLAY ONLINE. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONE OR MORE SPECIFIC ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.fromdustgame.com/

alephzombie
08-18-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm not even sure it was there, they've changed their information so often since launch. Beside the point, though. What I did NOT miss was Ubi's public statement that this was to be a one-time activation situation, not a permanent commoditization of me by adding me to their uplay service. I can understand having to activate and provide a CD key-- registration often includes some kind of support account to link to. Because of their promise not to use the draconian, invasive DRM they typically used, that would preclude the quoted statement involving uplay. It's well known that uplay is tied in with the very DRM they said they would not be using. What I did get could not be played in offline mode, which was not what I was promised. So what I cannot understand are the lies, the changes to their own disclosed information, and their attempts to mislead us by altering, deleting, and replacing the information they released, right down to disappearing tweets.

The Steam information for this game has changed multiple times since I pre-ordered it, and I am hoping they will refund my purchase even if it's just in Steam credit of some kind. I don't want to pay Ubisoft a CENT for this bait and switch SCAM.

fxu
08-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by KadorX:
While I also hate the drm and wont buy because of it, you obviously missed this on ghe steam From Dust store page

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THIS VIDEO GAME AND ONLINE FEATURES AND TO PLAY ONLINE. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONE OR MORE SPECIFIC ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.fromdustgame.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was added after release. Which is why is Steam giving refunds because, essentially, Ubisoft lied to Steam and its customers.

KadorX
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by fxu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KadorX:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS AND CREATION OF A UBISOFT ACCOUNT ARE REQUIRED TO ACCESS THIS VIDEO GAME AND ONLINE FEATURES AND TO PLAY ONLINE. YOU MUST BE AT LEAST 13 TO CREATE A UBISOFT ACCOUNT WITHOUT PARENTAL CONSENT. UBISOFT MAY CANCEL ACCESS TO ONE OR MORE SPECIFIC ONLINE FEATURES UPON A 30-DAY PRIOR NOTICE PUBLISHED AT http://www.fromdustgame.com/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was added after release. Which is why is Steam giving refunds because, essentially, Ubisoft lied to Steam and its customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it has been there since at least July 27 when I first started looking into From Dust and I specifically remember being bothered about the DRM and that section at the bottom. It has not changed since then either.

Steam has been above board with providing this information on the store page since that date. I cant comment on before that.

Campuschris
08-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by KadorX:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fxu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KadorX:

That was added after release. Which is why is Steam giving refunds because, essentially, Ubisoft lied to Steam and its customers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, it has been there since at least July 27 when I first started looking into From Dust and I specifically remember being bothered about the DRM and that section at the bottom. It has not changed since then either.

Steam has been above board with providing this information on the store page since that date. I cant comment on before that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct, that was there since July 27th. Also, since August 5th and until the morning of August 18th (this morning), there was a post clarifying what that sentence meant:

http://webcache.googleusercont...ource=www.google.com (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:4TkXPnx-vroJ:forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751064939/m/8501013939+From+Dust+DRM+Clarification&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com)

Please read that post very carefully. Their clarification of that statement is that there is a ONE TIME REGISTRATION involved with the DRM, and that is it. Afterwards you can play offline.

However, that was taken down and replaced with this:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/foru...1064939/m/2901034249 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9751064939/m/2901034249)

This new statement, posted the day after release so it would be impossible for Steam to give refunds to the customers Ubi lied to, took that statement back and instead states that we cannot play offline, that a one time registration is not enough, and suck it up cause they lied and can get away with it.

That is why people are mad.

coykoi
08-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Not to mention the 30fps cap, the terrible mouse controls, 30 fps on a gorram PC game.

As soon as I started the game I realised it looked like poo on my 1920x1080 res, changed it to something smaller and not full screen, it worked, it's a smaller screen, but the menu/all texts are gone, all that's left is animated background.