PDA

View Full Version : Bus people scare me

PacNW_CE
01-04-2006, 04:00 PM
So I am on my way to work this morning reading Mystic River (infinately better than the movie BTW), and a 50 year old woman with poor impulse control sitting in front of me says the following to a kid sitting across the row from me:

"Hey, I don't know if you know or not, but the crotch of your pants is torn out."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Ok creepy lady, what are you doing looking at young boys crotches? Further more, why are you announcing out loud in public to the poor kid that the barn door is torn open? The kid just turned red. Bet that kid checks his pants for holes before he leaves the house from now on. I looked up from my book and gave her the look of "what is wrong with you?", and she announced to the kid just as loudly that she knew what teenagers were like, and she just didn't want him to get made fun of.

An akward silence was maintained for a few minutes as everyone in earshot seemingly shook their heads and returned to their business.

wedgewu
01-04-2006, 04:40 PM
When I ride the bus, I often encounter people who smell like urine. And you can smell them even before they get ON the bus, it's that overpowering.

I think that's like 10x worse than a lady who will tell a young man that his pants crotch is torn.

I once had some guy threaten me with a lawsuit, telling me that I'd get "25 to life" for having accidentally brushed up against him. Which I'm pretty sure I didn't even touch him, he just hit a pole on the way out of the bus. Thank goodness he was getting off, otherwise he might have harassed me further.

I also once saw this woman PUSHING this other guy to get on the bus. Then she told the bus driver that she was going to call the police because the guy assaulted her.

I love living in the city... full of crazies, they are!

Mikevolta
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
In my work (construction) torn out crotches are every day. The problem comes when it warms up and you no longer have additional layers of cover. I actually bought a sewing machine and 'fixed' a bunch of my work jeans because it's irritating to toss a new pair every time you hear that 'riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip' sound. The guys I work with gave me so much **** about knowing how to sew that I haven't repeated it since, lol. I'd rather have the strange old lady point out the hole any day.

BitSeraph
01-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Mikevolta:
In my work torn out crotches are every day.

Quoted for out-of-context late night hilarity.

Ghengis_John
01-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Mikevolta:
The problem comes when it warms up and you no longer have additional layers of cover.

Sounds like somebody's running around with an unfurnished basement. Either that or a thong... *shudder*

Mikevolta
01-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Additional layers! Like coveralls, insulated bibs! Geez!

PacNW_CE
01-04-2006, 05:55 PM
You can smell like a cat box, or you can pick your nose on the bus. Please don't get on the bus smelling like a cat box and pick your nose. One distraction at a time please, is that really asking so much?

I worked on a survey crew one summer, and I can vouch that torn pants is pretty much the standard on the job. Since I became a white collar nancy boy who freaks when he gets a splinter, no torn pants. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

l337pino
01-04-2006, 06:00 PM
What's even funnier are the people on the MAX, this metro rail system that snakes it's way all over Portland, OR. There was this one guy on it that, as we were crossing a bridge over the Willamette river, asked me if I knew about the purple monster in the river http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif. Yeah...I got off at the next stop.

PacNW_CE
01-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Pino, I had no idea you lived in my town. I thought I was the only person from PDX cool enough to participate in the FD Forum.

Loganissocool
01-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Oh how I love the bus. The public transit in Tucson is less than desirable. It is like LA here. Everyone drives and only kids and the crazies ride the bus. I have many bus stories but this one was rather fun.

Going from downtown area the bus goes underneath a train underpass. The light flashes rapidly and it is very trippy. A guy in a wheel chair while in the underpass started to shake and make some girggiling noises. Everyone ignored him until a fluid started running down floor of the bus. The guy had an eplitic seizure and had burst open his colostomy bag. It was rather disgusting.

PacNW_CE
01-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Dude...

Bursting colostomy bags are never a good thing.

Blech.

SarinFDUK
01-05-2006, 12:50 PM
I avoid public transport at all costs! I do like trains though, looking out the window is like very dull TV, wonderful http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I am not looking forward to the day when I live somewhere where everything I need is not in walking distance. I don't do strange people mashed against me, and I hate the spit condensation that you get on bus windows on rainy days.

Jinx FD
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
i take the train every day to work, but i hate buses. the trains are smelly enough. bleh. but there's a muni bus i'll sometimes take (it's different, like... on tracks and occasionally underground) that connect to my train system. if i'm at work too late it's not really safe to walk all the way to the train station myself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

wedgewu
01-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Jinx FD:
i take the train every day to work, but i hate buses. the trains are smelly enough. bleh. but there's a muni bus i'll sometimes take (it's different, like... on tracks and occasionally underground) that connect to my train system. if i'm at work too late it's not really safe to walk all the way to the train station myself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Are you in SF? Talking about the Muni Metro? I take that sometimes to get home, but it puts me 10 blocks from my apartment. Blech. Still sometimes preferable to the smelly people on the bus... except when it's raining.

I usually take the bus and the Caltrain every day... I work so far away from the city.. *sob*

Jinx FD
01-05-2006, 01:16 PM
muni to bart. i live in the east bay so i have to bart into town every day, and there's a muni a block from my work that will take me back to bart if it's too late for me to walk.

wedgewu
01-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Jinx FD:
muni to bart. i live in the east bay so i have to bart into town every day, and there's a muni a block from my work that will take me back to bart if it's too late for me to walk.

BART is like three million times better than the Caltrain. I work in the South Bay so I gotta take the stupid slow expensive Caltrain.

At least I don't usually encounter smelly people on the train. Just on the Muni. >_<

Neeenja-
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
You know, Hawaii actually has one of the cleanest and most efficient bus systems throughout the United States.

Of course, we get the occasional stinker every once in a while, but other than that riding the bus is actually quite pleasant.

Too poor to afford gasoline ---> The Neeenja'

Calistah
01-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Ahh the BART. I rode it out of the airport to a friend's place once. It was quite an interesting experience. =)

It's not nearly as exciting as the Seattle Monorail though.

http://www.komotv.com/news/story.asp?ID=31515

http://www.komotv.com/stories/40469.htm

pdiep49
01-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Neeenja-:
You know, Hawaii actually has one of the cleanest and most efficient bus systems throughout the United States.

Of course, we get the occasional stinker every once in a while, but other than that riding the bus is actually quite pleasant.

Too poor to afford gasoline ---> The Neeenja'

If I was taking the buses in Hawaii, I wouldn't care how bad the person stinks next to me.

PacNW_CE
01-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I just don't get the mono in Seattle. It is so expensive in terms of maintenance and actual construction costs. Didn't a mono extension just get approved?

Catapharact
01-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Thank God for Cars.

*Gone to make sure his car never breaks down.*

wedgewu
01-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by PacNW_CE:
I just don't get the mono in Seattle. It is so expensive in terms of maintenance and actual construction costs. Didn't a mono extension just get approved?

"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook! And by gum, it put THEM on the map!"

And of course, the obligatory monorail song:

I hear those things are awfully loud
It glides as softly as a cloud
Is there a chance the track could bend?
Not on your life, my Hindu friend!
What about us braindead slobs?
You'll be given cushy jobs!
Were you sent here by the devil?
No good sir, I'm on the level!
The ring came off my pudding can...
Take my pen knife, my good man!

I swear it's Springfields only choice...
throw up your hands and raise your voice!

Monorail... monorail... monorail!

Mono... DOH!

Hehe sorry, I can't help but think of the Simpsons whenever I think of a monorail...

Ninja Kn1ght
01-05-2006, 03:01 PM
haha, I love that song.

l337pino
01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by PacNW_CE:
Pino, I had no idea you lived in my town. I thought I was the only person from PDX cool enough to participate in the FD Forum. Yeah, I didn't either. too bad there aren't any good con's or events for people like us that happen in our area (we'd have to go all the way up to Seattle...or down to Cali).

wedgewu
01-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Pino_GruntFest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PacNW_CE:
Pino, I had no idea you lived in my town. I thought I was the only person from PDX cool enough to participate in the FD Forum. Yeah, I didn't either. too bad there aren't any good con's or events for people like us that happen in our area (we'd have to go all the way up to Seattle...or down to Cali). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're at all a PC gamer, PDXLAN is in the Portland area. Right near the airport (hence the name of the LAN...) They even do some console stuff too, but it's very very minimal. Though they did have a Halo 2 tourney and a DDR one (sponsored by Game Crazy) last August. There's one coming up in February, but that's filled - they've opened registration for May though!

But yeah, it's mostly PC. Great time though, if you're into that at all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

l337pino
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by wedgewu:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pino_GruntFest:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PacNW_CE:
Pino, I had no idea you lived in my town. I thought I was the only person from PDX cool enough to participate in the FD Forum. Yeah, I didn't either. too bad there aren't any good con's or events for people like us that happen in our area (we'd have to go all the way up to Seattle...or down to Cali). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're at all a PC gamer, PDXLAN is in the Portland area. Right near the airport (hence the name of the LAN...) They even do some console stuff too, but it's very very minimal. Though they did have a Halo 2 tourney and a DDR one (sponsored by Game Crazy) last August. There's one coming up in February, but that's filled - they've opened registration for May though!

But yeah, it's mostly PC. Great time though, if you're into that at all. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, I completely forgot about PDX. Though, I haven't been to it in a year, so it's understandable I guess (i missed the big 1,000 person one in august).

stonelance
01-06-2006, 05:23 AM
InfernaLAN! Its not quite all the way to Seattle, but the next one is coming up on the 13th.

Canuckmikes
01-06-2006, 05:49 AM
What I wouldn't give for a mass transit system that gets me to where I need to be.

l337pino
01-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Canuckmikes:
What I wouldn't give for a mass transit system that gets me to where I need to be. That's crazy talk. You know that's too efficient for the system http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

PacNW_CE
01-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by wedgewu:

"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook! And by gum, it put THEM on the map!"

And of course, the obligatory monorail song:

I hear those things are awfully loud
It glides as softly as a cloud
Is there a chance the track could bend?
Not on your life, my Hindu friend!
What about us braindead slobs?
You'll be given cushy jobs!
Were you sent here by the devil?
No good sir, I'm on the level!
The ring came off my pudding can...
Take my pen knife, my good man!

I swear it's Springfields only choice...
throw up your hands and raise your voice!

Monorail... monorail... monorail!

Mono... DOH!

Hehe sorry, I can't help but think of the Simpsons whenever I think of a monorail... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY!

If the Simpsons taught us anything, it's that Monorails are evil. How can Seattle even consider an expansion?