PDA

View Full Version : OT: I have a tuff choice to make

Flanker15
03-03-2005, 04:51 AM
With the news that both the nvidia 6800 ulta PCI-X and the ATI X850xt PE PCI-X are avalible, I stand at a crossroads. All the other bits of my computer are selected, I just need to decide whether to buy the ATI card, which is faster and more stable than a 6800, but not as fast as a pair of them SLI linked. The advatage of the ATI is that it is stable, very fast and doesn't generate more heat. With the 2 nvidia cards I'll get top notch performance (only games that support SLI although) at the disadvatages of it costing twice as much, needing alot of power and being a bit unstable. I'm leaning more to the ATI card at the moment, even though it dosen't have PS 3.0 (which dosen't look any different anyway from the screens I saw of it)and there has been no sign of SH3 using PS 3.0 so I doubt it will have it. So what does everyone think I should pick.

F16_txmx
03-03-2005, 05:07 AM
The ATi card is surely a great card but i would choose the 6800. Why? Because you are probably going to be stuck with the card you select for some time to come as it is quite an investment. I woulden't wanna invest in a card that hasen't got support for a new technology (PS 3.0) thats gonna be heavlily used in newer games to come.

Just my 2 cent.

Good Luck to you whatever you choose.

eddie_wood
03-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Just how many FPS do you need? Is SLI *really* justified by twice the cost, or should you increase the ram and cpu? Or get a better monitor?

You'll be happy with either an ATI or GF. So if your gut tells you ATI, then get one and save your cash for when games really need and support SLI.

Better still, spend the difference on your mum/wife/girl whatever, she'll love the surprise and you'll play SHIII in peace for a while. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Messervy
03-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Read this:
http://www.xyzcomputing.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=257&Itemid=2