PDA

View Full Version : Trim

tonywizzz
06-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Trying to get to grips with trim control.

Is there a listing anywhere showing which aircraft in FB have which trim controls?

Which order do you guys trim in, elevator-airelion-rudder?

How often do you guys alter each one during a normal mission?

I know you should re-trim on alteration of speed and height, but this ain't always possible in the middle of a dogfight, so what do you guys do in that situation?

Thanks.

Taylortony
06-11-2005, 06:57 AM
i have the elevator and aileron trim mapped on my stick. In combat i trim it so its straight and level before i get into an engagement, rudder trim has never been an issue on mine...
elevator is the one that i do first as it is effected as fuel is burnt stores are used etc i then tweak it to get it level, this can change with power settings but i compensate on the aileron trim

-HH- Beebop
06-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm finding that at lower speeds with 4.0 I need to add at least one tick of right rudder trim until I reach cruising speed.

Most often trimmed for me is the elevator. Which BTW is more responsive IMO with 4.0. Was RBJ on the beta team? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Tallyho1961
06-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I'm really only familiar with Allied a/c, so I can tell you this:

US fighters have trim on all three axis
Soviet fighters have trim an all three axis
British fighters do NOT have aileron trim

It's easy enough to figure out: get airborne, dial in trim and see if you get a reaction.

msalama
06-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Soviet fighters have trim an all three axis

Erm... sorry, but at least Yaks & LaGGs don't have aileron trim AFAIK... and the Sturmo has elevator trim only...

VF-29_Sandman
06-11-2005, 06:15 PM
the standard s.o.p. for dialing in trim was: rudder, elevator, then wings in that order. the torque in this patch is very noticeable with single engine planes i've tried; p-40's, p-39's. havent tried the fw's or 109's just yet. the p-38 is a dream to fly now.