PDA

View Full Version : Anyone like the MULTIPLAYER?

THE_ROCK99
11-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Just wondering.

It seems to me most people have no fun at all playing the multiplayer part of DMoMM which would force me to buy the game or not.

I played the beta and i had my fun.
( Can you list what has changed positive and negative ? )
what i know is that the performance is still crappy well i see if it will stutter on my new card.

So MP-fun, anyone?

Rather_Annoyed
11-14-2006, 11:44 AM
If you have no problem with getting raped by mages with no skill, dealing with intense FPS lag, very long loading times, unbalanced and badly designed multiplayer maps and inconsistant gaining of exp. then the multiplayer is perfect for you.

If you're likely to have problems with any of the above, i'd recommend waiting for a patch which is known to solve a lot of MP problems.

keffooo
11-14-2006, 11:46 AM
I hate it, not because i played it twice and was lost but i'm trying to chase down people and my sprint bar always gets to the bottom and by the time i can run again they are long gone...you need faster ways around the map! and mages are too tough. This games more a single player.

THE_ROCK99
11-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I liked the maps in the beta i think it was L_MP4 and MP1 ... i think both teams had good chances.

But you needn'T walk where everyone does and you can these orbs were flying slowly and not really hard to dodge.

IDark-KillerI
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
i like the mp very much....
well for the changes.. there havn't been to many.... most differences to the last beta version seem to be some slight balance improvements

Majestic_13
11-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Ok, I had to finally sign up on the forum just to answer this.

Personally, I really like the MP, it is interesting and new to me. I have been playing FPS online since doom2 CTF and Im a huge counterstrike fan.

I have been playing for about 2 weeks straight now, every night at least an hour sometimes 3 or 4. I have lost a lot of sleep http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Yes, the ball of lightning/BFG1000 casting mages get pretty annoying but I dont see a balance issue with the game directly. More so I think it is the players who cant even the teams up that unbalance the game.

I have to disagree with the posters above and say that the MP is very fun, with a few tweaks here and there it could even be Great!

ArtyFTW
11-14-2006, 04:55 PM
More so I think it is the players who cant even the teams up that unbalance the game.

That is a sign of a rushed, or neglected game right there. Balance should should be left to the players! Most of us know better then that...Why is it so hard to simply include an autobalance option when creating a server?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_RED">EVERYONE HATES 56K</span>
Todd Lockwood (http://www.toddlockwood.com/)

Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

jamus_se
11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Off the top of my head, undocumented changes from the final beta patch:

Classes
- Warrior starting stamina got shafted. AGAIN.
- Assassin backstab now works 75% of the time, hurrah! On the down side, vanish smoke is back.
- Mage orb unbalance more apparent than ever.

Maps
-Added siege maps MP_1, MP_5 where defense starts with way more control points but cannot recap once offense caps a point.
-Added neutral ground map MP_3, basically a map identical on either ends with a highly contested center point.

Misc
- Various noticable improvements to attack animations from first person view... can't say the same about the models, that "I'm swinging a sword trying to hit something 5 inch in front of me" animation still grinds on my nerves.
- Some UI improvement such as smaller skulls on the map and a visual indicator on the capture points being attacked/under attack. You now learn skill by left clicking and unlearn skill by right clicking.

Otherwise, it's not all that different from beta, which can be good or bad depending on how beta worked out for you.

ArtyFTW
11-14-2006, 05:04 PM
"I'm swinging a sword trying to hit something 5 inch in front of me" animation still grinds on my nerves.

Adding to that:

Warrior stances sometimes lock up
Warrior stances are sometimes released in flurries.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

<span class="ev_code_RED">EVERYONE HATES 56K</span>
Todd Lockwood (http://www.toddlockwood.com/)

Little Johnny was a scientist. Little Johnny is no more. For what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

OddBa1l
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Well, the devs may be silent, but during beta they made some serious balance changes. Hopefully they're knocking up a new patch as we speak. With the number of complaints about L-orbs I'd be surprised if they didn't get a big nerf.

grossen
11-14-2006, 09:05 PM
The game is very unbalanced right now, especially if you want to play a melee class. I wouldn't buy it until they made it possible for warriors to get close to the other classes.

Pyromapes2k
11-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Played beta and I have to say what they have now is MUCH better.

As a warrior you start weak. By level 3 you can have full stamina regen and a slightly tougher attack. I dont get stamina complaints really. If you run our just run normally for 2 seconds and the bar is full. Put your shield up too. The onyl downside to warriors is that leap attack is broken, But I never use that anyway so meh.

Archers deal alot less now just quickly firing arrows off. Holding down lets them take 52 while just plucking one is about 28. Composite and Quick reload are nice. But I never really found a use for anything else as the basic arrow does more damage than everything except drill (which costs alot of mana but does 85 damage when held and 65 when plucked).

Assassin is OK. But backstab could still be a little more lienient when it comes to people turning slightly when trying to backstab. Failing a backstab on a warrior for example is usually suicide. Lots of abilities and disguise now doesn't drain mana and you have a blue name to your team (woot).

Priest. Well she is a great healer class (still) but can be taken down. Brambles + Corruption are still a pain for warriors but they are meant to be. However with the limited range and power they require level 7 before they can deal maximum damage at max range and use brambles. If you see one at this level with brambles just dont fall for the trap and let a ranged take her out =P

Mage. Basically ok, but lightning orb, the duration of the end fireballs fire effect and the high level second spell spam are all overpowered. But until level 7 mages can be classed as normal. After that they only require a monkey at the keyboard.

All classes are playable and under most circumstances each class can kill the others.
Warrior is my favourite as the only class I have remote trouble with is priests. (full strength and full stamina is godly =P)<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------------------------------------
Homicide, because your worth it.

syncourt
11-14-2006, 11:33 PM
The multi-player is GREAT in this game. If your an MP first person gamer I would definatley reccomend it. The only real problem is the serious FPS drop in multi at the moment. Maybe you should wait for a patch to know they will fix it up. But It's still pretty fun even with 10FPS so it'll be an awsome game once its fixed.

sneakyhulked
11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
well I thought it's amazing, and you people just need to stop complaining....

Sartakor
11-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I totally love MP.
Except for some balancing problems, it's a lot of fun. But did you expect to have perfect balancing after the first patch?

Sartakor<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://mitglied.lycos.de/j4zzm4n/sartakor08_ani_small.gif

antiy4ho0
11-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I would think it would be better than it is since they had the whole beta testing.

During beta, I remember people saying that melee classes needed some type of a buff, and then people saying, that Nelsham's scar was just a map more suited to ranged characters and that the other maps would be more balanced. When in fact, I think Nelsham's Scar is probably the most balanced map. I think a lot of people (myself included) would feel a bit better if we had at least a statement from Kuju saying they're working on balancing issues.

Personally, even with its flaws I really enjoy MP. It's all fun until someone shows up with a lighting orb, and even then you can still have fun with it. I think its obvious a lot of people at least enjoy some type of aspect to MP, otherwise we wouldn't have an 8 page thread on game balance.

Veraki
11-15-2006, 12:19 PM
I think multiplayer ain't to bad and it can be pretty fun but it definitely has a few issues. The main thing for me is that the game just doesn't feel smooth compared to other online games I play, which could be caused by a combination of lag and fps issues, not really sure, but you get used to it. There are also some ballance issues, the mage and his newb orb of death for example, but the main thing is you just have to practice and get good with the class you play and then it's not as much of an issue. Overall I would say it has alot of potential and I would recommend it to others, you just have to approach it with an open mind and get used to the way it plays. With some tweaking I think the multiplayer could be pretty sweet.

sprinkles6
11-15-2006, 12:52 PM
if they are just working on balancing then that is bad to me atleast because the multiplayer in my opinion just looks and feels stupid. As a warrior you must be up a guys behind just to hit em with your big long swords and fights just look dumb when people run around in circles to dodge or whatever which gets really annoying and makes me stop playing for a while. Now i only come back every once in a while to see if anything has changed.

Pyromapes2k
11-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Well apparently they cannot change sword range (not that I think its a big issue) and I doubt people will stop "running in circles". They run like that to dodge and to get behind you as attacks from behind deal alot more damage.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

------------------------------------------------------------
Homicide, because your worth it.

Gizmo1O1
11-15-2006, 07:26 PM
it takes SO long to download that when i start out a team has about 10 credits...and then we dl again
rinse repeat
so i never get to really play

I suggest timed maps instead of ticketed maps, unless we have thoose, if we do...longer times

English_sausage
11-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Hmm, I haven't had any loading time problems since the patch. If you're having long times to load try lowering the texture detail quality, when I did that in the beta testing load times improved dramatically.

As for whether or not I like the multiplayer, yes I do like it alot. I'd ignore the nay-sayers if I were you, because most of them seem to be whining about their own short comings or have just had a bad match or two which put them off.

Sure, it's not for everyone, and I think it would be better if there was a multiplayer demo version so that people could try before they buy. However I find it to be a solid experience which is really made or broken by the quality of players and teamwork in any given match, as a few good players who understand their class and some teamwork where each class is used in a specific role can really turn a match around.

Sartakor
11-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by sprinkles6:
...and fights just look dumb when people run around in circles to dodge or whatever which gets really annoying and makes me stop playing for a while.

I see, you would just run in a straight line towards the archer or the mage, who is aiming at you. You would, in other games (like any shooter), not look for cover or jump/duck/run to the left/run to the right/do anything to try to avoid projectiles?

Besides, what do you have lockon for?

Sartakor

Surrian
11-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Problems listed by class.(Please excuse typo's its late)

Warrior:

vs. A

English_sausage
11-16-2006, 02:22 AM
...problems Surrian? Oh really, let's have a look, despite this NOT being one of the many balance threads...

vs. Archer- Block arrow freeze with regular block, The physical armor doesn't do anything against the arrows, and the magic armor doesnt do anything against fire arrows, They more damage long/close range than i can possable do to them.

Umm, with a fully charged arrow you can do about 56 damage, with a fully charged warrior stance attack with full strength you can do 70 damage, with each very quick slash doing about 10-15. As a warrior I have quite literally mown through a group of archers and mages killing 10 of them before they took me down. Warriors are in no way underpowered against archers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vs. Priestess- Magic Armor doesn't defend against corrupt, Damage to low to possably kill a stone enchanted healing priest...
...and magic armour shouldn't, otherwise it would defend against healing as well. Their self heals are not that quick either, and stoneskin doesn't last that long, besides if you could still easily kill them whilst they were stoneskined it would make stoneskin worthless :P plus it doesn't defend against instant kill attacks, like shield charge and leap attack.

vs. Mage- The magic armor does almost nothing..at all.
Not true, it does reduce damage by a bit, which is to say you will survive a lightning orb rather than be instantly killed. Besides, if it was very good then it would make the magic shield skill pointless, a skill which does negate any and all magical effects http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vs. Assassin- Running after them and hitting an overpowered poison bomb..
that's not really an in game problem, that's just an assassin being clever and avoiding a painful death. Annoying, yes, but avoidable? Easily, just gotta keep your eyes open and your stamina bar relatively full.

Mage: No complaints, they are overpowered in EVERY aspect so they own. I suggest taking out the balance meter.. keep em neutral.
Overpowered in EVERY aspect? So they own with their staffs as well? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I'd say only their very high level spells could be considered overpowered, which many mages I've seen have a tendancy to teamkill with more than they actually kill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif besides a little poison can really screw them over, and when I'm playing my warrior they can barely hurt me thanks to the magic shield <3

Archer: Fairly overpowered and take no skill to shotgun other classes.
vs. Warrior- No problem they get owned.
vs. Priestess- That overpowered corrupt is near impossable to dodge without boost.
vs. Mage- hardest **** in the world 1v1.. They don't have to aim and you do..
vs. Assassin-nodda you own em.
"No skill to shot gun other classes"? HAH! Tell that to the trail of dead archers after a warrior has gotten within charging distance, well at least a warrior who doesn't run in straight lines http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif as well as assassins up close, if it's a good assassin you won't see him or hear him coming, I snuck up behind a little group of archers and mages attacking the sanctuary at stonehelm, killed all six of them by myself as an assassin. Mage is tough, but if you full poison arrow them then they can't see anything, can't nuke you if they can't see you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Priestess:Nearly invincable, all you do is switch the balance and with your staff and stone, it might take 3 warriors constantly hitting you to kill.

vs. Everything-One button wonder.(I say change the skills to different actual skills.. so its harder to heal yourself then hit others..)

vs. Assassin- That whole "you can see them" **** is faulse.. you pretty much cant.
Ahahaha, maybe against **** warriors :P and she'd never kill them unless she brambled, even then only maybe one before the others got to her or got support. Against cloaked assassins, you can see them more easily than other classes can, just not much more http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif soulmark will stop em from being cloaked at all mind!

Assassin:Overpowered in aspects of traps. And the BS doesn't work.. really ever.. unless your apponent is standing still..
overpowered in traps? umm, not really, as they can be detonated from afar by a mage, even better if the mage fires just as the assassin drops the bomb, BOOM explosion in the assassins face instantly killing him from his own bomb! and those bombs are pretty easily seen too. Regarding backstab it still does occasionally bug out, and it's alot harder to land than before, but by the sounds of it you just need a little bit more practice http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif with time and tactics you can be backstabbing warriors in the middle of combat in no time.

...so yeah, these "problems" are quite easily over come with the right skill choices and a little thought into how you play, as well as some practice. I wouldn't see these as issues with the game, just issues you have.

And lets not take discussions of balance any further in a thread which is about whether or not you like the multiplayer, especially posts that are soley about balance. Did you dislike the game for the reasons you listed, or do you still play and enjoy it regardless?

jamus_se
11-16-2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by antiy4ho0:
I would think it would be better than it is since they had the whole beta testing.

During beta, I remember people saying that melee classes needed some type of a buff, and then people saying, that Nelsham's scar was just a map more suited to ranged characters and that the other maps would be more balanced. When in fact, I think Nelsham's Scar is probably the most balanced map. I think a lot of people (myself included) would feel a bit better if we had at least a statement from Kuju saying they're working on balancing issues.

Personally, even with its flaws I really enjoy MP. It's all fun until someone shows up with a lighting orb, and even then you can still have fun with it. I think its obvious a lot of people at least enjoy some type of aspect to MP, otherwise we wouldn't have an 8 page thread on game balance.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

I would just like to add that is *exactly* how I feel like right now. I wouldn't be sitting around and typing up page after page of "nerf mages" stuff if I don't believe that is last piece of the puzzle to make multiplayer perfect.

I'm having a great time with it, it's all fun and games until someone shows up with a lightning orb and destroys everyone including his own teammates http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

slammer_dunk
11-16-2006, 05:45 AM
Why have only some users been allowed to try the beta patch? I appreciate the need to test things before releasing it, and that the beta patch is designed to try highlight/fix key problems your trying to flag with key users, but from discussions on this board it appears to fix alot of other problems to.

I, like many on this board, have had your bug-ridden "final" release for some weeks now and have been unable to play it.

I can't help feel that the concept of "doing everything we can to fix the game" concept doesn't feel very honest when you disclose a patch that could make a game we purchased playable to only a handful of people...

At the very least how about an update on when we can play it?

I realise releasing beta-patches isn't a widespread thing (though alot of developers do it to appease their customers) but surely given the state the game is presently in there should be some exceptions?

jamus_se
11-16-2006, 05:56 AM
The single player patch is already out. You can find the download link at the "release" thread. That is for single player... as for multiplayer, after you finish installing, steam will automatically patch the game for you.

There are some old threads (really old ones) that may refer to the "beta patch"... it could be talking about patches for the open beta of the game, which is no longer active... the few who used to play the beta version had presumably moved on to the release version now.

Lord_crapalot
11-16-2006, 05:57 AM
Its proberly just a precaution, and if it eliminates alot of new bugs then I think its worth it, but yes an eta would as always be nice.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

"You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there is one thing a warrior always keeps...his pride!"

slammer_dunk
11-16-2006, 06:05 AM
The 1.02 patch or 1.01? I was referring to beta 1.02....