PDA

View Full Version : Additional Compartments almost a reality/ Update, Beta ready, Hell Yeah !!!

tuddley3
01-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Yep, textures are almost done, Urfisch just needs help from someone to help him implement them into the game. This would be a major breakthrough in SH3 modding.

Subsim Thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=104514&page=3)

Celeon999
01-27-2007, 12:15 PM
Very , very cool http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I just hope it works out. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

No crashes etc.

Goose_Green
01-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks for showing us this Tuddley http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Excellent screenshots - let's hope the project works out okay.

Minoos
01-27-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks Tuddley - In the next page, same Subsim post, there is a link to a video of U-995.
It is an interesting tour..

tuddley3
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Minoos:
Thanks Tuddley - In the next page, same Subsim post, there is a link to a video of U-995.
It is an interesting tour..

Oh, I thought it was that website with the virtual tour, but this is an AVI. Downloading now.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
01-27-2007, 10:21 PM
It blows my mind that a group of individuals could show more love and dedication to a game that was created, produced and distributed by another.

This mod is proof that it wasn't time that prohibited the developers from including a "free-roaming" environment in SH3 (and now SH4), it was politics... everyone should know that by now.

Great work to all that are contributing to that mod!

tuddley3
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Great point AO1. Modder's are different than the game makers, modder's do it with LOVE for the game, not a paycheck or a deadline http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

GoldenEagle8
01-27-2007, 11:02 PM
THAT IS THE ULTIMATE SCHWEETNESS! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
That is what I have been waiting for in a mod!
Finally a way to see the rest of the boat!
Now it won't feel so enclosed and unreal http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
Hooray! I hope it works out for him, that would be the best mod EVER! equal to GWX (in my opinion)
I hope it works with GWX. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifx1000

TheRealPotoroo
01-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:
This mod is proof that it wasn't time that prohibited the developers from including a "free-roaming" environment in SH3 (and now SH4), it was politics... everyone should know that by now.
You're not in a position to know that. The devs had priorities and deadlines. Modders don't.

comanderFritz
01-28-2007, 09:47 AM
sweet more compartments

3.JG51_Molders
01-28-2007, 11:35 AM
Anyone got UBI's game developer e-mail address ? They could have potential capitalized on this but their loss http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and Talk about those UBI deadlines http://foolstown.com/sm/nunu.gif

turnip_tick
01-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by TheRealPotoroo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:
You're not in a position to know that. The devs had priorities and deadlines. Modders don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...And lets not ever lose sight of the fact that if it weren't for the deadlines then there would be no SHIII to begin with. Oh sure there would be a beta copy floating around and it would be sweet. But with out a deadline (read that to mean release date) then there would be no SHIII and no modders etc. We should all be thankfull that there are deadlines and still have the source code open for mods. Falcon 4 Allied force is one the best modern air combat sims out there and all we had to do was wait nearly a decade and in the end the source code is locked and the devs hold tight control of all mods. Is that what we want for silent hunter??

Dead lines are not about politics, they are about getting the product to market. and that means getting it to us the gammers.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
What are game deadlines? The publishers say that it's a set timetable so that a certain product would be available to the general public on a certain date. In reality, it's a push to release the game before the competition does. Or, because the publisher wants the revenue before the end of the quarterly earnings report, so that their stockholders are happy.

It's deadlines that are one of the leading causes of a bug-infested game upon release (see Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

It's because of deadlines that features from a game's drawing board were left out, which disappoints fans upon release (in our case, SH3).

It's because of deadlines that games are released, earning sub-par reviews and a backlash from fans despite high expectations and hype (see Fable).

It's because of deadlines that games feel incomplete or of poorer quality compared to their counterparts (see Half-Life 2 and Vampire: The Masquerade, Bloodlines in 2004).

Yes sir, deadlines are really good for the gaming community... I'll buy that one any day.

turnip_tick
01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
The only problem here is that in the case of SH3 there was no competition so the release date was not a race against any other dev team. As for quarterly earnings, there are four quarters in a fiscal year. thats every three months. What that means is that EVERY title ever released has either just beat or just missed the quarter by no more than six weeks.

Deadlines are not the cause of bug infested games. it is the unwillingness of the corporations to bump the deadline up coupled with the refusal of the devs to dump some aspects of a game for whatever reason.

It is not the deadline that causes some features to be left out. It is often because a feature may be a real system hog. graphics can be turned off to help out with this but I guess it will depend on which features you mean when you say they were left out.

Expectations and Hype??? would lack of a deadline aleviate that. in fact I think that it could make it worse. if the development time were two years longer then wouldn't people just say 'all this wait and the wheels dont spin' (falcon AF)

Does SH3 feel incomplete when compared to its competition?? does it have any competition. Are you comparing apples to...to....to what exactly this is a niche market and there are no other german U-boat sims out there that take place in WWII. FPS are a different story but..

You may not buy that deadlines are good for the community but be honest with your self here. deadlines are why titles get released, and that release is why you went to Wal-mart and bought it.

but any way you cited a few titles that you thought were released too early
Oblivion
SH3
Fablehalf-life 2

can you now name some that were released with zero bugs zero patches and zero community mods all because none were needed? I bet not. I have never heard of a game where every one agreed that it was perfect straight from the box. And in fact back to SH3 even the mods are buggy in some cases. did grey wolves have a deadline?
Would you just sit on a title for years anticipating future mods before release or would you at some point in time say ' we are going to do X Y and Z and when they are done we release' bear in mind that UBI doesnt make a dime from programers sitting around writing code for perfect smoke effects. at some point they must sell it or they all lose their jobs and it is never released.

Yes sir, make no mistake deadlines are a good thing. So long as they allow enough time to complete the job. but without a deadline there is no release date, no date no hype, no hype no sales, no sales no SH3. Always remember that you had better keep the stock holders happy. I mean duh, we play the games for entertainment but they are written for profit. big profit. Trying to take the money out of just takes the game off the market.

Now cause im clever like this I actually know that your gripe isn't really about deadlines at all but rather about UNREALISTIC deadlines. and with that I agree with you. But not having a release date doesn't help at all. It will not eliminate a single bug.

AO1_AW_SW_USN
01-28-2007, 11:59 PM
I see and comprehend your points 100%, and I thank you for (somewhat) seeing my points.

You are looking at the validity of a deadline, and I'm looking at the negative aspects of (like you said) unrealistic deadlines. You're right and I'm right when it comes to our points in general. A game doesn't get released without a deadline, but because of a rushed deadline the game could have the potential to be a commercial flop due to some of the factors that I previously mentioned.

However, I never did mention that SH3 had competition because there isn't any. But, in their case, it was a deadline that was set too early. SH3 could have used another six months of development and testing before it was released. Perhaps that amount of time would have allowed for the implementation of the "free-roaming" environment that most of us wished for.

You're right, all games have bugs. But it's rushing a deadline that compounds the software problems upon their release... all due to insufficient time allotted for further testing.

I'm not debating you, not at all. I guess that in the future, I need to re-evaluate the body of my message(s) before I post them in order to alleviate confusion.

tuddley3
01-29-2007, 05:28 AM
I think deadlines are a waist of good talent. If you make a game, and take all the time you need, it would be a near perfect game. Like sh3, there would have been more options to choose from(like a tow back to base if you ran out of fuel), and would need less patches to fix bugs.

If you don't have any competition, take your time and out do yourself, and increase the "WOW" factor for your customers. If we have to wait until September for SH4, I don't mind. I still have SH3 to keep me happy, and the wonderful Forum they have created for us to visit and make friends. I am VERY happy with Ubisoft, but they can do better if they swallow some pride and do it right this time.

Am I wrong ?

Goose_Green
01-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Nothing in life is perfect - but it would be nice for game producers to give the customer something that is complete and within budget, I don't mind the odd update as I am sure there is always a need to tweek things and the odd glitch is expected.

Remember we are, as humans, naturally critical of things, and I think we have been spoiled by the fantastic and tireless work of the modders - Just be thankful that the game is modable!

ottoramsaig
01-29-2007, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by turnip_tick:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheRealPotoroo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AO1_AW_SW_USN:
You're not in a position to know that. The devs had priorities and deadlines. Modders don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
...And lets not ever lose sight of the fact that if it weren't for the deadlines then there would be no SHIII to begin with. Oh sure there would be a beta copy floating around and it would be sweet. But with out a deadline (read that to mean release date) then there would be no SHIII and no modders etc. We should all be thankfull that there are deadlines and still have the source code open for mods. Falcon 4 Allied force is one the best modern air combat sims out there and all we had to do was wait nearly a decade and in the end the source code is locked and the devs hold tight control of all mods. Is that what we want for silent hunter??

Dead lines are not about politics, they are about getting the product to market. and that means getting it to us the gammers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

hueywolf123
01-31-2007, 03:11 AM
OK, lets get back onto the subject. Are those compartments eye candy? Or are they modelled for us to enter?

tuddley3
03-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Hmm, OK, pinch me, or does it say DOWN LOAD ME!!!! Holy C.R.A.P. Click Me (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=104514&page=13)

U301
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
I tell you looking at that Kaleuns bed I think the war can wait for an hour or two!
Wake me if anything occurs!
KUrtz.
(Great work! Just like Tuddley3 to find/be involved with such great work! Lol!)