View Full Version : Why do I keep loseing my***
01-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Why do I Keep losing my signature, avatar, and sometime locked out of forums?
Can any help?
01-17-2005, 04:20 PM
*cough* powered by Infopop *cough*
* If I'm not wrong, this software uses a very bad implemented caching system, modifications to the avatar could take some hours.
* When posting, the Options "signature" checkbox must be checked. (And modifications to the signature will not reflect the changes to old posts).
Locked out of the forums:
* I'm experiencing a similar problem. Solution: Delete your cookies and log in again.
01-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Thank you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
01-17-2005, 08:03 PM
Ok, I'd like to say that I've noticed that visiting the "My space" sections of the board tend to cause the formus lock out. I just avoid it if at all possible. After it happens thought delete cookies, temp internet files, after you have closed every Internet browser window. It's a pain I know, personally I prefer the Vbulletin system to Infopop. I've seen that system hold up under some rigarious conditions. (Shameless plug for good BB software if UBi's listening http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
01-17-2005, 08:16 PM
I like the Invision boards - they have the 'spoiler tag' option.....but I guess Ubi does what Ubi thinks is best. lol
01-17-2005, 08:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RaPhil:
I like the Invision boards - they have the 'spoiler tag' option.....but I guess Ubi does what Ubi thinks is best. lol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
There are alot of Boards that I've seen that have the "Spoiler tag" especially since gaming boards are common.
I'm actually quite surprised that a UBB/Infopop board has held up this well. I remember the old Wizards of the Coast RPG board. I was around when they decided to drop UBB. They had to purge the forums every 4-6 months to prevent massive lag. Even then it was of little help. Not to mention all the double posts, and random errors. Actually they switched to Vbulletin, it only like the 2nd time I'd ever seen VB at work and I must say it held up very well even under the strain of something like 100k users. I know that of the non free versions (Like PHPBB and others) VB is quickly becomming the most common type of board, mostly because of it's seemless transfer and varity of options.
I really won't mind a Line between posts and sigs. I tend to get confused as to where one starts and ends. But hey that's me.
01-18-2005, 05:56 AM
My theory is that if enough people give Ubi feedback maybe they might change it. So please feel free to send in a comment/suggestion. I think on their homepage they have a contact us section. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif But I will bring this section to the attention of our Community Managers once we have some more feedback. So type away. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif
01-18-2005, 06:26 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif okay typing away here
I visit about 4 forums a day. Usually COBBS, this one, GoG and maybe UO, or MystCommunity. By far, this one is the worst. For lack of ease of use for one thing. For another, the stupid URL feature doesn't work in Firefox to put in a URL in a post. Yes, I do know "HOW" to do it. Sometimes I will use IE just for this forum to get around that. Blech! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif Anyways, yes Invision boards are BETTER http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif And COBBS is the censorfree place to be http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
01-19-2005, 11:10 AM
It would be nice if Ubi could change to a better system, but what about all the threads that are here already? I know that there are several storyline threads at the moment (I'm in one of them). Unless these forums could be kept as an archive.
List of common problems I have are:
I have to sign in ever time I use a different instance of Internet Exporer.
Checking the box to keep you signed in comes up with the error "You are already signed in as Stellaflora, please click go to sign out and back in again". I mean Why do I have to sign out just to sign back in with the same username that I wish to use????
After copy and pasting into the fully functional posting window, I will oftern get "Erro, Body is a mandatory field". Can't it tell that theres about two pages of writing in the box???
I DONT find that I get locked out for no reason. and I think that with the last update to the forums the signiture is changed in all previous postings since the update came into affect (before that the signiture was treated purely as part of the post, so changes can't go beyond the update).
WHO HATES INFOPOP! Please raise your hands http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
01-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Hmm. I only get that "You have already signed in..." bit when using the PT.
As for the boards, well, I just created a Bookmark directly to the various and sundry boards and bypass all that. (Plus, I try to avoid using IE. I use Safari, the Mac browser.)
01-20-2005, 03:06 AM
*chiming in and raises hand in response to stellaflora*
The errors I get are as follows:
1) Same error as Stellaflora re: already signed in but like T.O.O.O I get it using PT...huh??
2) Same error as Stellaflora re: mandatory field....again huh?
3) Two boxes for posting replies or editing replies for threads - EVERY time. I have now become used to it and wait for the second one to appear before typing, but seesh!!
4) Slow loading of pages (I went and had a shower the other night and it still hadn't finished loading).
5) Obvious one is the being 'locked out' of the MystV forum - and the problem would return even after deleting cache/temp files etc and getting back in successfully.
Things I like about other boards - namely Invision boards.
1) Spoiler tags
2) Being able to select 'show new posts' and a page of new posts since your last visit shows up - that is great!!
3) Having a PM feature that not only alerts the person via email, but also at the top of the page when they next refresh or enter the forums.
4) GoG forums has the person's name in italics at the bottom of the page if they are replying (helps in stories and games!!).
5) Being able to select "go to first unread post" rather than the last (or first) post on the page and then being able to "mark all posts as read". That way you can keep up with what you have and are not interested in reading.
And as for Stellaflora's concern regarding existing threads etc, yes that would be my concern too, but as I don't think Ubi would change from what we have, we probably don't need to worry about it. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/joann99/thshrug.gif
Now I will just get down from my soapbox: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/joann99/soapbox.gif
Oh, and Toria: I have had the same problem with Firefox and using the URL feature. Now I copy the URL, click on the 'URL' box and use CTRL+v to past my URL into the box. Then I type the name as per usual. Don't know if this will help, but I am sure glad to see I wasn't the only one having probs there too.