PDA

View Full Version : OT for the modelers out there

Kaiser_W
08-02-2005, 07:52 PM
For quite some time now I have wanted to assemble a WW2 diorama. With recent releases of accesories and my own collection quite numerous I have enough equipment for the task. Just one question,. What makes a good base material for dirt?

stinkhammer6
08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Simply put.....dirt. If you use regular dirt and want to simulate a pock hole or a fresh crater, you can buy small bags of topsoil looking dirt to spread around the crater to give it that appearance. To keep it in place from accidental bumps and vibrations spray it with hair spray from a pump bottle not a spray can and while its still wet, sprinkle dirt on top of it so it sticks it all together and you wont get the shiney effect of the dried spray.

I build models myself and know alot of tricks so if you need more help just shoot me a pm.

Kaiser_W
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Cool, thanks, I'll keep that in mind..

MRsteve
08-03-2005, 10:18 AM
use the verlinden way! If you dont know what I mean please send PM

Steve

Mylo42
08-03-2005, 01:20 PM
As goofy as I'm sure I look, I go out to the garden with a variety of sifters and start "sifting away", sorting out the different grades of dirt and "stuff". I then go out to my nearest gravel road and do the same thing. The whole procedure resembles a kid playing in a sand box. You have to be secure about your adulthood / manhood to use this technique. Between the two, I get a nice variety of colours and grades (course / fine). .....and....it's free.

As for the diarama, I will put down a 50/50 solution of white glue and water (with a shot of rubbing alcohol to break the surface tension of the water) on the base and sprinkle my dirt on that. I'll then use straight white glue to glue on any bigger rocks and whatever. If I really need it to be secure, I'll mist on some matt medium (artists stuff) to lock in all in but good.

I'm sure there are a million ways of doing it.

stinkhammer6
08-03-2005, 03:14 PM
yeah, wood glue will hold rocks down forever better than white. I recently finished a tiger 1 tank and a heinkel he-111. Im working on a sturmgeschutz3 in winter camo.