PDA

View Full Version : What is the May release date, What day?

DELTA-9_THEBENZ
03-30-2006, 10:40 AM
What is the date of release in May? I what to see if I can take some time off.

Cirap
03-30-2006, 10:42 AM
I've heard 5th, 6th or 8th

but please, don't quote me on that, I'm not too sure

KingKat2
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
The dates from EBGames and Gamestop, are May 16th, BUT............these can be changed.

Just do what I am going to do...the day its released.....speed dial the local game store... until they answer the phone....then once it has arrived......and I have the game in hand........THEN call into work and say I have been DRINKING and I am DRUNK. Do you still want me to drive into work?...........
no......I haven't tried but my friend said......

deosl
03-30-2006, 10:50 AM
in the US, a Tuesday in Europe a Friday. Go ahead and guess ;D

Ghost9
03-30-2006, 10:56 AM
they say may, because it leaves it open. They aren't going to nail it down to a specific day until they're boxed and ready to be released. I'd bet on it. Otherwise they can still push it back to the end of May and still meet they're quoted release date.

DthDealer71
03-30-2006, 11:30 AM
Hopefully early may, the bad taste Lockdown left in my mouth I need something fast.

ST6_CrackShot
03-30-2006, 12:21 PM
as a software engineer I can tell you that if a release date is asked by the business group from the developers, we always give a date that is very very safe.

If we get done before that date, we don't give it to them when we finish, but test, test, and test again until the date rolls around -- there are bound to be errors found in that time, and it's better to have a more solid product than an early release.

With something as large of a project as a game, I'm willing to bet that the testing is closely tied to development in a kind of rapid cycle from planning to development to testing and back to planning again in a shorter amount of time to give everyone in that loop a quicker feedback and reduce the amount of cost of code/design change over time.

This means that actual meaningful development probably lasts nearly all the way up until the date that the game goes live.

So... in the end, the business guys may have some date written down for going gold, but they're not going to publish it to customers until it actually goes gold because of the way that development and timelines go.