PDA

View Full Version : Multiple DVD Drives Bug

Eat_My_Shortz
10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a bug and not a problem with my equipment, due to the nature of the problem.
Basically I have 2 DVD drives and the game will only run if I place the DVD in the one with the earlier letter in the alphabet (I have E and F as my DVD drives and it only runs on E).

I get the error "Can't find CD-ROM" or something if played in the wrong drive.
I know this is already on the "fix" list:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Can't detect CD-Rom" issue resolution. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But my issue is a bit more specific than that so I decided to make a new post.

This is a pretty annoying problem since E is a burner, and is slower, so I think the game would run much better in F. Also, consider people who have a CD drive first, and a DVD drive with a later letter. Will they be able to run it or will the game only search the first CD drive?

Would it be easy to make the game search for the disk in all DVD drives, not just the 1st one, as it does in 98.6% of other games?

Eat_My_Shortz
10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a bug and not a problem with my equipment, due to the nature of the problem.
Basically I have 2 DVD drives and the game will only run if I place the DVD in the one with the earlier letter in the alphabet (I have E and F as my DVD drives and it only runs on E).

I get the error "Can't find CD-ROM" or something if played in the wrong drive.
I know this is already on the "fix" list:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>"Can't detect CD-Rom" issue resolution. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But my issue is a bit more specific than that so I decided to make a new post.

This is a pretty annoying problem since E is a burner, and is slower, so I think the game would run much better in F. Also, consider people who have a CD drive first, and a DVD drive with a later letter. Will they be able to run it or will the game only search the first CD drive?

Would it be easy to make the game search for the disk in all DVD drives, not just the 1st one, as it does in 98.6% of other games?

AFGNCAAP
10-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Is the run drive based on which drive you used install the game? You might be able to "fix" it through the registry.

christiancaron
10-05-2004, 06:50 AM
Errr... Did you install it from the E: or F:? Could you install it from F:?

Usually, a game will not "look" in each device, it will just execute from the device that has a media in it. But if you installed the game from one, you can't play from the other one (some files are linking back to the path, e.g. "E:/safedisc").

maztec
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
EMS: That's actually a common problem that plagues a lot of games and software. I've ran into it several times.. It's a windows thing.

"Find CD Drive" is called as a function and returns the first in the list or a list/hash/array and the software just grabs the first rather than going through the list.

Eat_My_Shortz
10-06-2004, 04:55 AM
Thanks for your replies. In answer to the questions:
- I installed it from F, the drive I *want* to use. But it still forces me to use E.
- I checked the registry. I can find nothing relating to the drive in there.
- I know that its been a problem with certain games, but I can only name about 3 of my many many games which force you to use the top most letter. Some of the older games (like Myst 1) force you to use the drive you installed from, or you can change the .ini file to change the drive. However, Riven, Exile, realMyst and Uru, along with the vast majority of all other games will work for either drive (and I've tested them all, since I switch between drives quite liberally).

So although it may be a windows thing, its only cuz theyre going the wrong way aobout it.