PDA

View Full Version : Uru for Macintosh??

Bunee
02-03-2005, 03:36 AM
does it exist? if not...why??? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

GadrenURU
02-03-2005, 04:30 AM
nope, and it never will. Cyan has cancelled their Uru for Mac project.

you see, Cyan would really want Uru to be fore Mac, but the physics library that Uru used (called "Havok") has no Mac port, and so no MAc version can be made.

however, Myst V: End of Ages, Cyan's next game, will be realtime 3D, but also use a different physics library that allows porting to Mac.

Mowog
02-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Bunee --

The really unfortunate part is that Cyan fully intended Uru to be Mac compatible, and chose the Havok physics engine based on the promise that a Mac port was in the works. Turns out it really wasn't, and by the time Cyan learned that, Uru was too far along to start over.

It may be of interest to you to know that Cyan's next project, "Myst V - End of Ages," will have the same realtime 3D environment of Uru, but it WILL be Mac-compatible. Evidently they've sourced a cross-platform physics engine.

Cheers,

Scythephantasm
07-05-2006, 10:00 AM
This news came as a dissappointment to me, seeing as how I shall soon be switching to a mac (for college you see). I was hoping to be able to play Uru Live on my time off, but it seemed hopeless.

Until I learned of Boot Camp for Mac, which allows you to install Windows as a second OS on a pentium based Mac.

So here's my question: Will that allow me to play Uru, or is it the graphics card that will do me in?

Alahmnat
07-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Which Mac are you planning on getting? If you're getting a MacBook Pro or an iMac, the video card should be more than capable of handling Uru, and a few people have actually posted screenshots of the game running on MacBook Pros running Boot Camp.

If you're planning on getting a Mac Mini or a MacBook, those both have integrated Intel chipsets, so I don't know if they would run the game or not. If you've already got it, it won't hurt to give it a try, but I don't know offhand if Uru supports the Intel GMA950 chip... if it does, you'll *only* be able to play Complete Chronicles... Until Uru doesn't support Intel chipsets at all. Live *might*, but again, I don't know if it would support the GMA950.

If, somehow, you plan on getting a PowerMac, you're SOL (like me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), because those are still G5-based systems that won't run Boot Camp and only support Windows through the Virtual PC software, which doesn't allow programs access to hardware graphics acceleration.

The forthcoming Uru Live may at some point be ported to the Mac (a change in the physics engine to one that's open source and cross-platform ensures that it's at least *possible* this time around), but probably not for a while after its initial release, as there's about 26 people at Cyan right now and they're all working rather frantically to get the PC version ready to roll in the Fall.

SeaOtter
07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Thank you, Alahmnat, for all the information.

I had been wondering about URU Live and Macs. This pc has maybe another year in left in it as I can't add any more RAM (I'm at 512 with both slots used), and had been looking at the sleek Mac laptops. (sigh)

Pardon my ignorance - I may be completely confused/befuddled...

So the new program or operating system I've heard whispers about (that would run both Mac and PC programs and could maybe run on a Mac) wouldn't let URU run on the pc side?

nanoukmetal
07-05-2006, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I am wondering if SeaOtter would not be able to change her two "256 MB Ram" with two "512 MB" DDR Ram cards in those two slots ???

SeaOtter
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Thank you kindly, good Nanouk, but I was told I can't by the people at Dell.

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 my brother built me about 5 or 6 years ago. It was terribly advanced at the time. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

nanoukmetal
07-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Mayby they expected you to buy a new pc. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

I sure would like to know our tech people views about this.

Scythephantasm
07-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Alahmnat:
Which Mac are you planning on getting? If you're getting a MacBook Pro or an iMac, the video card should be more than capable of handling Uru, and a few people have actually posted screenshots of the game running on MacBook Pros running Boot Camp.

If you're planning on getting a Mac Mini or a MacBook, those both have integrated Intel chipsets, so I don't know if they would run the game or not. If you've already got it, it won't hurt to give it a try, but I don't know offhand if Uru supports the Intel GMA950 chip... if it does, you'll *only* be able to play Complete Chronicles... Until Uru doesn't support Intel chipsets at all. Live *might*, but again, I don't know if it would support the GMA950.

If, somehow, you plan on getting a PowerMac, you're SOL (like me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), because those are still G5-based systems that won't run Boot Camp and only support Windows through the Virtual PC software, which doesn't allow programs access to hardware graphics acceleration.

The forthcoming Uru Live may at some point be ported to the Mac (a change in the physics engine to one that's open source and cross-platform ensures that it's at least *possible* this time around), but probably not for a while after its initial release, as there's about 26 people at Cyan right now and they're all working rather frantically to get the PC version ready to roll in the Fall.

The mac I'll be getting is the new MacBook. According to the specs, it says it has an "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory" and a "2.0GHz Intel Core Duo processor."

I certainly hope it works. I knew that the Myst III-V DVD's are mac compatible, so I bought the 10th anniversary DVD set only to discover that Myst I and Riven only work on the older mac OS's. If I can get Myst I and Riven to work on the Windows side (which I'm sure they will) along with Uru, I'll be all set.