PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to 1.9 -- a Questions if you please

SNAKE1937
01-25-2010, 08:26 AM
I just ordered a new SH4 Gold edition and will look forward to adding on the 1.9 TMO as soon as I understand what to do with my current "stock SH4" .

Question

1. Do I install the new disk with the 1.5 on it over the stock game( with 1.4 upgrade patch) or should I uninstall EVERYTHING and start fresh? If that is the case are there any issues with uninstalling SH4? Are there some "how to do this for you non-guru types out there" instructions?

2. Once the "Gold SH4" is installed can the 1.9 TMO be installed over it? Any special "but first things" to do there?

3. What is RSRD?

Thanks for your input as I am looking forward to more adventures under the waves. Still really like SH3 Grey Wolves Expansion.

tambor198
01-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by SNAKE1937:
I just ordered a new SH4 Gold edition and will look forward to adding on the 1.9 TMO as soon as I understand what to do with my current "stock SH4" .

Question

1. Do I install the new disk with the 1.5 on it over the stock game( with 1.4 upgrade patch) or should I uninstall EVERYTHING and start fresh? If that is the case are there any issues with uninstalling SH4? Are there some "how to do this for you non-guru types out there" instructions?

2. Once the "Gold SH4" is installed can the 1.9 TMO be installed over it? Any special "but first things" to do there?

3. What is RSRD?

Thanks for your input as I am looking forward to more adventures under the waves. Still really like SH3 Grey Wolves Expansion.

Hello Snake1937

1. Start fresh. The Gold Edition is the latest version (v1.5)and does not need anything else. To uninstall the program go to Add Remove Programs in your Control Panel. Also if your using Vista or Win 7 make sure you install directly to your hard drive and not to Program Files which is the default location.

2. Once you install the Gold Edition, to install TMO 1.9 you'll need something called the JSGME. You can find it here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=156898).

3. RSRDC is a mod that rewrites the campaign layers from the original game. You can find it here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=123467).

sneakattacks
01-25-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi

RSRD stands for "Run Silent Run Deep". The name refers to the motion picture with the same title, starring Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, a sub classic. Of course, you've seen it a dozen times, but didn't get the acronymn.

People often forget that everyone doesn't know these esoteric acronyms!

sneakattacks
01-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Hey Tambor198

You said to Snake1937 as regards loading the Gold Edition:

"Also if your using Vista or Win 7 make sure you install directly to your hard drive and not to Program Files which is the default location."

I don't understand. Generally I have found the "Default" install selection to be the most likely to succeed. What is the difference here? What happens if you do use the "Default" option? (I am about to do exactly this, so this is a practical question!)

VXB77016
01-25-2010, 11:47 PM
sneakattacks,

Seeing as you're "about to install" I'll try to handle your question in the interest of time--and at the expense of expertise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also, be aware that I'm approaching your question largely from my experience with another UbiSoft game that heavily depends upon JSGME to support its mods, namely IL-2.

The reason why you want to install outside of the Program Files folder has to do with modding. JSGME is a great program that allows you to organize and load/unload mods from session to session. It's a truly wonderful program.

However, Vista (and I think Win 7, although I'm not familiar with that OS) includes security features that become cranky when programs alter other programs within the Program Files folder. To allow JSGME to work its magic, it therefore is best to install SH outside of the Program Files folder.

So what would happen if you went with a default install? Nothing. The game would run fine and you'd be happy. Until you elected to mod the game, that is. Because the super mods depend (an assumption on my part, that's how it is in IL-2) on JSGME you'll need to re-install your game outside the Program Files folder to allow JSGME to work in peace.

In short, a standard install will work fine provided you never mod the game. But the odds are overwhelming that you'll eventually mod the game and installing the game outside of the Program Files folder will simplify your move into the world of mods--especially if downloaded your copy of the game.

I hope this was helpful and remind you, again, to take what I've written with a grain of salt. I'm not the best person to be fielding this question but it seemed that time was perhaps more critical that expertise in this case. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MWolfe1963
01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Good Stuff VXB...Over at subsim must be 20 threads people having problems with Vista and 7, locking up using mods...course they get the same basic advise, but your explanation really clears it up.

VXB77016
01-26-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks for backstopping my advice, MWolfe. I feel a lot better knowing you've given it a once over http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Phew!

SNAKE1937
01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys!

I am running XP Pro NOT W7 or Vista.

So I will remove the old SH4 (with 1.4 patch) and then install the new Gold SH4 with 1.5 included in it.

Should I play the "new game" a short while before downloading the 1.9 upgrade???

Any special instructions would be appreciated.

SNAKE1937

sneakattacks
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
And from this quarter, thanks for the advice! I now know an important option to use if my modding gets cranky! And I'll remember when I install the 1.5 Gold Edition!

I guess I've been lucky so far, using Vista and having default loaded all SH4 to my Programs folder and then having put both JSGME and my Mods folder in there too. No problems with SH4 v1.4 modded with TMO and a couple or three environmental mods after 2 months daily use, though I still frequently SAVE GAME! (Where's that "SH4 Murphy's Laws" thread?).

Being a Vista user, I think I can expand on what was described by VXB... as a "Vista security feature" that might disrupt gaming: Microsoft calls it "User Account Control" (UAC). For the pre-Vista generation, UAC is a feature that, if a program 'unexpectedly' tries to run, basically stops everything and raises a pop-up window saying, "Blahblah program is trying to run on you computer. Is this OK?" and you have to answer before the show continues. [The nice bit is that you can disable UAC via the Control Panel if you feel the urge.]

It is logical that UAC or any program that interrupts SH4 might cause it to crash. While UAC hasn't troubled me so far, I have run into the notorious gu.exe (game update . execute file) as a guilty party. And having given the matter some thought, I have come to suspect MicroSoft's, Adobe's, Norton's, McAfee's, and whoever else's automatic updaters as suspect for crashing SH4. And so "Beware", says I...

My advice is to disable all automatic updaters, scheduled scanners, etc. before assuming command. Also consider turning off the wife and the cat. If that's possible.

Wolferz
01-28-2010, 04:24 AM
OK kiddies, keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times...

I run Winblows 7 64 bit and I installed Silent Hunter into its default folder in the (X86) programs folder without a hiccup. The only thing that requires action is deleting the GU.exe file and using the standard SH IV startup file.
I never understood why they put a phone home for updates file in there with the 1.4 patch. Especially when they had no intentions of ever patching the game again.
I never had a problem doing the same thing with Vista.
JSGME works fine with both operating systems as long as you follow instructions during installation and use the "Run as Administrator" option with the shortcuts for both JSGME and SH.exe.

GU.exe will only crash the game if you are NOT connected to the internet.

A clarification for Snake.... TMO 1.9 is a MOD, not a patch. As such, you will need to install and run JSGME from within the main Silent Hunter folder. At least for the first time you run it. It will create a MOD folder within the main folder, where you will paste your mod files. Most of our Modders ZIP these files for smaller, easier to download files. Once downloaded, they require extracting. The extracted files can then be copied and pasted into the MOD folder where JSGME can get at them. After completing these steps once, you'll say; "WOW! that was easy!" If you're running XP this will all be a cake walk.

SNAKE1937
01-29-2010, 09:37 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

All is good. Your instructions were concise and accurate to the letter.

Should you get to Steamboat Springs CO during the summer I'll stand you for a beer.

SNAKE1937

sneakattacks
01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Good hunting, Snake1937!