PDA

View Full Version : Game won't start-how do I repair/reinstall without losing Saves?

madmanfarmer
10-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I haven't played in a few months. Now when I start the game, it acts as if it is going to start, then I get a black screen (ie like when the resolution changes), then it just kicks back into Windows. No errors, nothing.

I haven't had any problems with my machine, and I tried updating to the latest patches with no success (same thing happens).

Anyway, how to I save my "saves", or can I simply uninstall/reinstall and the saves still be on my machine. I never quite finished the game, and really don't want to start over.

madmanfarmer
10-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I haven't played in a few months. Now when I start the game, it acts as if it is going to start, then I get a black screen (ie like when the resolution changes), then it just kicks back into Windows. No errors, nothing.

I haven't had any problems with my machine, and I tried updating to the latest patches with no success (same thing happens).

Anyway, how to I save my "saves", or can I simply uninstall/reinstall and the saves still be on my machine. I never quite finished the game, and really don't want to start over.

fabulouscoops
10-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Save the folder ..\farcry\profiles
uninstall the patches in reverse order.
Do a repair install of Far Cry
add back the patches 1.3, 1.31, 1.33
resore the profiles folder.

If you started the game unpatched, the saves will only work in the same patch version so do not add the patches if your savegames are from ver 1.0

madmanfarmer
10-11-2005, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the info. However, my problem seems to be a video driver. I just updated a few months ago, but for whatever reason, installing Nvidias latest driver fixed the problem.

This is the only game I've ever played that requires a new video driver every few months!