PDA

View Full Version : Annoying details

ChasARGH
03-26-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm having some rather annoying problems with the game.. well, they're not as much problems as they are idiotic design features.
First of all, it seems I can't change the key layout. This is a big issue, since I don't like to save (realism issues), and I keep hitting the 'enter' key for some reason or other. In other words, I'm losing my valuable torpedoes.
Second, I can't change the resoultion. Yes, I know it's an issue that's been discussed to death... but seriously, how could they not implement this? I've never experienced a 3d game that doesn't allow you to change resolution before. Either way, this messes up ship recognition and aiming with the 8.8mm gun, as well as the annoying, but less crucial jagged edges.
Also, is there a way to use the gramophone, without having to listen to the music that comes with the game? I've put MP3s in the right folder, but they won't play if I turn off the in game music. I'd like the ability to switch between complete silence and the gramophone, without having to bother with the in game music.

Lastly, why is the depth not marked on the maps? The submarines naturally had maps with depth, but I can't seem to find it in the game. This, along with the very poorly made shorelines take away a lot of the realism and fun of the game. I've spent a lot of time in the waters around Bergen and the Norwegian coast, and it's nothing like in the game.

horrido1962_
03-26-2005, 02:54 PM
I think youve got reasonable gripes. The fire key being next to the time accelerate key is a big DOOOHHHH. This sim is truely half baked.

I still love it, but they really need to finish it. I can't remember the last time I played a game that was released this early in development. It used to be common place, but the last few years have been much better. I know all sims have a few bugs, but this one has dozens. Some are huge!

I still love it - its a really cool sim. PLEASE FINISH IT FOR US.

CaptainRadish
03-26-2005, 02:58 PM
My biggest problem was with the enter key. I'm used to playing SH1 where the '+' key was time accell and the '-' key was time decel, and the enter key was real time.

I lost a lot of fish before I figured that out.

As far as the resolution is concerned, the official reason (and one I believe since I have fiddled with the config to get the resolution up) is because at any higher resolution the game takes a major frame-rate hit. I was running at 1200-1600 for about ten minutes before I put it back. The frame-rates where horrendous.

NaKacu
03-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I found it VERY interesting that you can change just about anything in the game except the above!

Well, I got used to the keyboard, no biggie, resolution, oh well... I never had an issue with playing the gramophone but the fact that I can not re-map the folder where the "gramophone mp3s" are located just seems wrong. I did however work around it by changing the

<ProgramFiles>\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Sound\Music\music.cf g

file to accomodate custom compiled mp3s into ogg to suit my taste.

Having to duplicate your MP3s to play in a gramphone is a waste of space.

ChasARGH
03-26-2005, 03:04 PM
horrido: So the game was rushed, then?

I'll agree that the game is fun, and I'm not trying to bash it. But these shortcomings really take a lot of the realism and fun away from the game (despite what some landlubbers might say).

CaptainRadish
03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Wasn't the release dat pushed back from September to March? At least they didn't try to rush it for a Christmas release date like some companies I could name would have.

NaKacu
03-26-2005, 03:09 PM
oh, one more note....
YOU CAN change the gramphone directory by creating a virtual directory (kind of like a link) through Window's disk manager... yep yep yep...

but that's soooo not fun and easy as all the ini configurations used by the game!!

CaptainRadish
03-26-2005, 03:10 PM
And, ps, if you're willing to muck through the config files, you CAN change the shortcut key for firing fish.

Just go to /SilenthunterIII/data/cfg/commands_en.cfg and muck about. It's actually pretty well documented. I had no problem remapping my enter key from fire torpedo to 1x compression.

horrido1962_
03-26-2005, 03:24 PM
You know I'm speculating, but I suspect we wouldnt have gotten this great of a sim if it did come out relatively bug free. Its obvious that the dev teams shot for the stars - planned for more than the schedule would allow. If they had scalled back their plans to a more acheivable goal, we may not have gotten the level of detail we have. Thats the glass half full way to think of it.

The Nvidia bug - Jeezzz Luise - that's a firing offense. Imagine how much money thats costing due to reduced sales? If a person is on the fense when considering this sim, and has an Nvidia (which has a LARGE market share)...

There is just no excuse for that.