PDA

View Full Version : Heh, intresting topic about IGN.

Assassin_Elite
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, for starters, I am getting my new PC by Christmass, and I had strong plans to by DA for the PC.

but after so many bugs and bad reviews I've heard on the forums, I've decided against it.

I have instead decided to purchase the current gen version for my Xbox, and i can saftley say I made the best choice.

Now onto my main topic.

For review, I would like you all to remmember, that IGN gave DA on the PC, a 9.0, you can read the entire review here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747482p1.html

OVerall it stated that the PC game was very good and had good gameplay, it only mentioned bugs once or twice, here are some quotes.

On, PC, getting into an online match is rough. The interface is sketchy, difficult to use, and not nearly like the Xbox 360 version

With the exception of little graphic artifacts and tiny visual glitches here and there, which detract a little from the game's good looks, the PC version, even on the hightest setting, is slightly inferior to the 360 version. The loading times are longer. Multiplayer is, content-wise, the same as on Live, though it's far more difficult to get online and find a match, though there aren't any friends lists or achievements.

now i am not done here,

infact, i have just begun.

Anyways, as I am reading through the forums I can honestly begin to wonder, "Was IGN using a computer made SPECIFICALLY to play this game?", because when I read these forums I see tons and tons of complaints about lag issues, crashes, non-loadable saves, clipping, you name it.

Now onto the biggest shock of this post, I read a review on IGN for the game Gothic III, the full review can be found here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747903p1.html

Now you dont need to read the whole thing, I'll just give you some of the important points, which are all at the end.

Frustrating quest log, but other menus work fine. Lots of bugs that ruin immersion along with fairly frequent crashes.

A good character development system and a plethora of content is mired in broken gameplay and a greatly flawed combat system.

There's so much to do, but much of it just doesn't work properly

Now lets look at the facts, just like DA for the PC, this game had some very intresting gameplay that is shadowed by bugs and glitches that ruin the overall experience.

Now, I cant help but wonder, why did IGN refuse to point out the obvious glitches in DA, a game that without them could have been great, and gave it a 9.0.

And most importantly, why did they give another game that could have been great had it not been for glitches, a 4.9?

There are many answers to this, maybe its that DA was a lot more hyped that Gothic III, IGN didnt want to give it a bad score.

Maybe they have some deal with <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">Ubi[/b], since they tend to give even their worst games preety high scores *cough* Lockdown *cough*.

So anyways, discuss!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

--
http://eternal-realm.net/fisher/ae_sig_fisher.gif
xfire = vannaka4

Assassin_Elite
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Well, for starters, I am getting my new PC by Christmass, and I had strong plans to by DA for the PC.

but after so many bugs and bad reviews I've heard on the forums, I've decided against it.

I have instead decided to purchase the current gen version for my Xbox, and i can saftley say I made the best choice.

Now onto my main topic.

For review, I would like you all to remmember, that IGN gave DA on the PC, a 9.0, you can read the entire review here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747482p1.html

OVerall it stated that the PC game was very good and had good gameplay, it only mentioned bugs once or twice, here are some quotes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On, PC, getting into an online match is rough. The interface is sketchy, difficult to use, and not nearly like the Xbox 360 version </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">With the exception of little graphic artifacts and tiny visual glitches here and there, which detract a little from the game's good looks, the PC version, even on the hightest setting, is slightly inferior to the 360 version. The loading times are longer. Multiplayer is, content-wise, the same as on Live, though it's far more difficult to get online and find a match, though there aren't any friends lists or achievements.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

now i am not done here,

infact, i have just begun.

Anyways, as I am reading through the forums I can honestly begin to wonder, "Was IGN using a computer made SPECIFICALLY to play this game?", because when I read these forums I see tons and tons of complaints about lag issues, crashes, non-loadable saves, clipping, you name it.

Now onto the biggest shock of this post, I read a review on IGN for the game Gothic III, the full review can be found here: http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747903p1.html

Now you dont need to read the whole thing, I'll just give you some of the important points, which are all at the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Frustrating quest log, but other menus work fine. Lots of bugs that ruin immersion along with fairly frequent crashes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A good character development system and a plethora of content is mired in broken gameplay and a greatly flawed combat system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There's so much to do, but much of it just doesn't work properly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now lets look at the facts, just like DA for the PC, this game had some very intresting gameplay that is shadowed by bugs and glitches that ruin the overall experience.

Now, I cant help but wonder, why did IGN refuse to point out the obvious glitches in DA, a game that without them could have been great, and gave it a 9.0.

And most importantly, why did they give another game that could have been great had it not been for glitches, a 4.9?

There are many answers to this, maybe its that DA was a lot more hyped that Gothic III, IGN didnt want to give it a bad score.

Maybe they have some deal with <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">Ubi[/b], since they tend to give even their worst games preety high scores *cough* Lockdown *cough*.

So anyways, discuss!<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

--
http://eternal-realm.net/fisher/ae_sig_fisher.gif
xfire = vannaka4

Koopa22
11-30-2006, 05:53 PM
jus a suggestion... but have you tried contacting Direct2Drive ?

Forget <b style="color:black;background-color:#a0ffff">UBI[/b].. as weve found out their tech/customer support is horrid =/

TonikJDK
11-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the world that is SCDA.

It is a bug. There is no fix. We wait for a patch.