PDA

View Full Version : FarCry stutters after using PCI Latency Tool 2.0

webaccount
01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
been playing online for a yr now & NEVER HAD any stuttering (on any video card) other than the occasional online lag (not stutter) but then I used this program to change the latency timer on my 6600GT around just to see if it helps improve my frame rate and now I get stuttering every 30-60 secs or so, the sound & graphics freeze for about 1 sec and then back to normal again. I reload the BIOS and reimaged the hard drive back to the state before running PCI Tool but the stuttering is still happening, it bugs the **** out of me, getting killed all the time because of this

Can anyone shed some light on this ??? Can this be something else and what can I do to remedy this ???

I don;t have anything running in the background, no spyware whatsoever, no USB gamepad plugged in and this is the same configuration I've always had

my spec:
P4 3.1 Ghz
6600GT
1GB of Kingston PC3500
MAxtor 160GB SATA
Audigy ZS 2

Using VStudio 71.24 Alpha (from guru3d.com)

BTW, the PCI Tool prog allows you to change the PCI Latency timer value which you can also do in the BIOS, apparently some people have their video card's latency timer at 248 and it hogs the PCI bus causing sound card to freeze or something like that

webaccount
01-14-2005, 01:28 AM
been playing online for a yr now & NEVER HAD any stuttering (on any video card) other than the occasional online lag (not stutter) but then I used this program to change the latency timer on my 6600GT around just to see if it helps improve my frame rate and now I get stuttering every 30-60 secs or so, the sound & graphics freeze for about 1 sec and then back to normal again. I reload the BIOS and reimaged the hard drive back to the state before running PCI Tool but the stuttering is still happening, it bugs the **** out of me, getting killed all the time because of this

Can anyone shed some light on this ??? Can this be something else and what can I do to remedy this ???

I don;t have anything running in the background, no spyware whatsoever, no USB gamepad plugged in and this is the same configuration I've always had

my spec:
P4 3.1 Ghz
6600GT
1GB of Kingston PC3500
MAxtor 160GB SATA
Audigy ZS 2

Using VStudio 71.24 Alpha (from guru3d.com)

BTW, the PCI Tool prog allows you to change the PCI Latency timer value which you can also do in the BIOS, apparently some people have their video card's latency timer at 248 and it hogs the PCI bus causing sound card to freeze or something like that

DocSEAL
01-14-2005, 05:03 AM
Quoting directly from my K8T Neo manual:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PCI Latency Timer
This item controls how long each PCI device can hold the bus before another takes over. When set to higher values, every PCI device can conduct transactions for a longer time and thus improve the effective PCI bandwidth. For better PCI performance, you should set them to higher values. Settings range from 32 to 248 at a 32 increment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thus, since your video card is AGP and your sound card is PCI, there's no reason not to set the PCI Latency Timer to 248 as they do not run on the same bus.

webaccount
01-14-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for replying,

If I take out the Audigy card and Farcry plays flawlessly but as soon as I put the sound card back in the stutter appears again so at least I know it has to do with the sound card but the strange thing is this same setup never gave me any problem until I ran that **** program PCI Tool

DocSEAL
01-15-2005, 01:54 AM
My advice is to have your chipset up to date so that your buses are differentiated correctly (AGP vs PCI bus) rather than mess with some Tool.

IdenElite
01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
dont listen to them, changing the settings on the pci latencey does directly effect your agp port. i have also used this same tool, make sure you settings are in 32's. i recommend setting your agp card at 64. also if you were not having this problem before try setting the latency back to 248. or just diasable the program from changing the values at startup