PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the flak gunner to fight?

fordfan25
03-17-2005, 03:05 AM
iv been tring for the past hour to figure out how to get the flak gunner to fight but all he does is just sit there. the only way i get him to fire is to use the bonoculers to high light the enemy planes. i watched the training video and did judt what it showed me like telling the watch officer to target at will ect. but nothing happens. any ideas?

Captain_David
03-17-2005, 03:31 AM
Make sure you've set the range and "Fire at Will" And have assigned some crew to the gun.

fordfan25
03-17-2005, 03:35 AM
yea i have tried that but all the gunner does is just sit there.

Kankkis
03-17-2005, 03:41 AM
I have the exact same problem, it doesen't shoot if i don't get the target with bino, yep Fire at will and target is selected from userinterface, but no shooting.

-Kankkis-

fordfan25
03-17-2005, 03:49 AM
well at least it is not just me lol. and to compound the problem i cant use bino's because of that stupid 6800 bug. also its the same with the deck gun. unless i use the UZO thing the deck gunners just sit there. wounder what the problem is?

Lobolopez220
03-17-2005, 04:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
well at least it is not just me lol. and to compound the problem i cant use bino's because of that stupid 6800 bug. also its the same with the deck gun. unless i use the UZO thing the deck gunners just sit there. wounder what the problem is? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup I have the same problem, maybe if I take that helmet of his off and thwack him round the head he`ll think again about being a pacifist at the worst possible moment http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

U-2323
03-17-2005, 05:23 AM
I don't know if this will help or not, but once i got command of my first type VII, due to the innaccuracy of my weapons officer's torpedo solutions, all of my fish have missed so far, so i have to attack the targets with my 8.8cm deck gun. luckily they have all been lone merchants so far. when im on the surface (i play at 100% difficulty by the way) i go to the crew interface and add the 3 crew to the deck gun station, then i order the watch officer to target nearest merchant, aim for waterline, and open fire. im usually at very close range, less than 1000m. initially i thought it didnt work either because they wouldnt fire right away... so try waiting about 30 seconds or a minute, thats how long it takes them to open fire sometimes. Hope this helps!

P.S. anyone who plays w/ the auto TDC option off know how to shoot? ive figured out the range thing w/ the slider bar, but angle on the bow and target speed is still a mystery to me. All the tutorials show u how to do it w/ auto TDC turned on. As i said before, i just ask the weapons officer for a quick solution, which usually takes him about 5 seconds, then i fire. And i have not had 1 fish hit the target so far, and this is after 4 patrols and about 35 torpedoes fired. Any ideas?

Cess-SGTRoc
03-17-2005, 05:38 AM
U-2323 , if it like the old one was you need to take more than one reading. Take one then move on and take one at another angle.
After that you should have a better luck.

HouseElfDobby
03-17-2005, 05:58 AM
here's what I figured out so far with the manual TDC:
first, identify the contact, thus you have mast height (also note down keel depth so if you want to go for magnetic detonation, so you can set your fish to a meter lower).
Next, on the notepad on the right, go to distance measurement. Then you have the stadimeter icon on the left of the notepad. position your crosshairs on the waterline, drag & drop the stadimeter onto the scope and position it at the mast height. Once you click, the distance to target will show up on the notebook.
Angle-on-bow: this is the next one on the notepad: select it, then you can set the angle-on-bow. This angle is basically the angle that the target would see you at, so if you're parallel to the target on it's starboard side (right side), AOB is 90 (another way for AOB is your target bearing minus 180, I think) (writing from memory here, so don't take my word for it)
The last item is the target speed. Once you have distance and AOB, calculating speed is a simple math problem (but the game does it for you). Center the target (like at the mast), start the stopwatch. Follow the mast, stop the watch after some time (make sure the crosshair is excactly at the same spot of the target as when you started the clock, else you'll introduce errors). The longer, the better. Now you have a solution.
Yet another way (the really hardcore one): After Target identification, just get a stopwatch and a calculator. Identify mast height and look at the angle (tick marks) in the scope. Distance equals mast height divided by tangens alpha. Do an educated guess on the targets speed. Try to match course and speed, if the target stops veering off in bearing and distance, you have heading and speed. Go to the TDC station, enter manual mode and input your target data. Now you've done the work of half a dozen crewmen all by yourself http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Cheers
Dobby

BBB_Petrus
03-17-2005, 06:00 AM
Same prob here. No autofire with any gun! Bug, bug, bug ...

All gun-fire I did by hand. No work with help of the crew

... not jet on the torpedos ... but if crew does not do it´s duty there as well wohle game is chrap so far ...

This has to be patched sooooooooooooon...

Holly ****, typical Ubi ... good games but **** issues

P http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

PoweredBySoy
03-17-2005, 06:43 AM
The crew never fires the deck gun or flak gun for me either. I have to do everything manually.

Here's a question though: during campaign play, if I fire everything manually, or do the hydrophone manually, etc... does the crew still gain experience and get better?

BBB_Petrus
03-17-2005, 07:03 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PoweredBySoy:
The crew never fires the deck gun or flak gun for me either. I have to do everything manually.

Here's a question though: during campaign play, if I fire everything manually, or do the hydrophone manually, etc... does the crew still gain experience and get better? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol...wot for? as u have to do all the work anyway ... this is motherf u c k i n g... super-bug we are talking here about!!!

alphaBeta_
03-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Yeah, same thing for me. Crew only fires the deck gun and flak guns when I give them the target via the binoculars. From reading the manual, they should engage targets that fit the orders given to the Watch Officer.

The micromanagement required this way is a little too demanding.

G-like
03-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Same problem here with WO ordering gunners to fire. If i target them with Binocs, then they take em down, but I have to target each one. Fire at will has tunred into sit there and look pretty and only fire at will at what I command you to fire at.... Not really fireing at will now is it???

PoweredBySoy
03-17-2005, 07:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Petrus:

Lol...wot for? as u have to do all the work anyway ... this is motherf u c k i n g... super-bug we are talking here about!!!

P http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop the inbreeding and calm down.

The crew experience question has nothing to do with the AA/Deckgun "bug".

Pr0metheus 1962
03-17-2005, 07:46 AM
What are you guys firing at? In WW2 if you saw a plane you dived quickly (because it was very hard to shoot down an aircraft), and if you saw a ship you hit it with a torpedo first.

Could it be that your crew is frightened to death by your tactics, and that they're freezing up as you give them crazy orders? I'm serious, do they have a red exclamation mark over their bodies? This game models morale and crew inefficiency, so you can't just put your crew in a suicidal situation and expect them to excel. I'm not saying that this isn't a bug, but have you examined all the possibilities? After all, many players aren't getting this bug, and some can't stop their crews from shooting.

BBB_Petrus
03-17-2005, 07:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PoweredBySoy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BBB_Petrus:

P http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop the inbreeding and calm down.

The crew experience question has nothing to do with the AA/Deckgun "bug". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sry don t take it personal plz. I´m angry with Ubi, not with you.

And plz think yourself. How can a crew which does not do it´s work, get experience? Being ship around by the captain so far ...lol...for sure there is no expierence with the crew in this!!!

Half the game is yet not working! That´s the point! Officer-oder-sytem is not working! you have to do everything yourself!

... btw .. I also got the game without manuel first but with 2 reference-cards instead lol.. ...had to go to the shop again to get the manuel from another box ... c wot this Ubi is ...

Messervy
03-17-2005, 07:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
After all, many players aren't getting this bug, and some can't stop their crews from shooting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be the Yanks! I mean Germans that were born in a U.S. and returned to fullfill their duty for the Fatherland! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
03-17-2005, 08:37 AM
The crew experience question has nothing to do with the AA/Deckgun "bug". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you know? It can't be that the guns just don't work, because some folks are not seeing the problem, and others have the opposite problem. To me, that suggests that there's a more complicated cause.

Let me put it this way - if you assign a torpedo mechanic to the deck gun, it might be that he has no experience on the deck gun and he won't be able to fire it. It might be as simple as that. Are there character stats for gunnery? If so, it probably means that you must assign gunners to the deck gun. On the other hand, maybe the computer auto-assigns them, in which case it can't be an experience-related issue.

Aviar
03-17-2005, 09:35 AM
It does seem as though there is a bug with the deck gunners. They will not fire unless you lock a target for them with your binoculars.

One earlier poster said to wait 30 seconds before they start firing. Well, I've waited for minutes and even accelerated the time, but they have never fired one shot.

This is obviously a bug, so let's hope it gets fixed.

Aviar

BBB_Petrus
03-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Once more ... to it looks as if the whole officer-order-system is not working.

This feature of the game can´t be used until now. Theories about which part of the crew should be send to deck or so are useless.

The crew does not obey the orders, any orders u give are not obeyed unless you, the gamer, gives/handels them directly.

The binocular tingy worked with me from time to time with the big gun but not with the AA.

Imo a major bug which has soon to be fixed!

P

Fitz505
03-17-2005, 11:17 AM
As for the Flak, it may be that they won't fire at a friendly aircraft, unless you order them to, via the binoc/designate command. Going to test it out.

Fitz

Fitz505
03-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Yup, that's the answer. They follow all the Fire commands against enemy aircraft.

Fitz

PoweredBySoy
03-17-2005, 12:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fitz505:
Yup, that's the answer. They follow all the Fire commands against enemy aircraft. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you saying that during the AA Tutorial... all those planes flying around are friendly aircraft... and as such the AA crew won't follow the order to 'fire at will'??

Because I follow every step the video tutorial tells me to, and still they don't fire on command.

Same with the deck gun.

HeibgesU999
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
I think in the AA tutorial you have to shoot them manually, because as someone pointed out, they are not enemy aircraft.

BBB_Petrus
03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HeibgesU999:
I think in the AA tutorial you have to shoot them manually, because as someone pointed out, they are not enemy aircraft. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol...
1. your friendly planes carry british markings towards a German U-BooT.. so who is friend who is foe ...

2. The intruction video as some mantioned already above tells everything how to make the crew work by orders ... so why should this not be possible to be executed in the training mission afterwards ...

Well, well ..gn .... Ubi ... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

P http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Mr_Nakajima
03-18-2005, 01:02 AM
I couldn't get the flak gunner to work in the training mission either, so BUMP. Thanks folks.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Captain_David
03-18-2005, 01:34 AM
The planes in the training mission IS friendly so they wont shoot at you.. Even though the MODEL is english, they AI seems to be German.. So in order to fire att "friendly" forces you must force them.. I've encountered an enemy airplane outside england. Told my WO to order fire at will, long range, and anything. 10shots and the bastard bursted into flames..

Pr0metheus 1962
03-18-2005, 04:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain_David:
I've encountered an enemy airplane outside england. Told my WO to order fire at will, long range, and anything. 10shots and the bastard bursted into flames.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the damage model is a bit off for aircraft. Or maybe it's the shell accuracy for deck AA guns. It certainly should be pretty hard to shoot down an aircraft from a sub.

GanthonyGurface
03-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Just to chime in. I've had no problems with the Flak, or deck guns...outside of the tutorial. The 'enemies' are set as neutrals, thus, the crew won't send them to hell, automatically. A notation on that would be nice, in the tutorial screen....but it's not a gamebreaker by any means, and not worth all this panty-bunching.

Aye, I'd agree that the AA is a bit too accurate. But, again....not gamebreakingly so.