PDA

View Full Version : mac screen too dark to find stone pillar room

jkausa
01-18-2004, 02:59 PM
i have imac dvd special edition. and myst 10th anniversary dvd. i am trying to locate the stone pillar room, but the tunnel is too dark to find the two remaining light bulbs needed to locate the stone pillar room. if i can find out where the light bulbs are even if i can't see them and i click in the right place will this get me to the stone pillar room? or do i have to see the light bulbs in order for them to work? and do i absolutely need to find the stone pillar room to complete the game? i'm sure other mac users must have run into this same problem. thanks for any help.

jk***

jkausa
01-18-2004, 02:59 PM
i have imac dvd special edition. and myst 10th anniversary dvd. i am trying to locate the stone pillar room, but the tunnel is too dark to find the two remaining light bulbs needed to locate the stone pillar room. if i can find out where the light bulbs are even if i can't see them and i click in the right place will this get me to the stone pillar room? or do i have to see the light bulbs in order for them to work? and do i absolutely need to find the stone pillar room to complete the game? i'm sure other mac users must have run into this same problem. thanks for any help.

jk***

wstrohm
01-19-2004, 06:56 PM
You need to keep going straight ahead through the blackness until finally you emerge at the seashore where you can turn around, go back in, find the first lamp and light it, which allows you to see far enough to light the second lamp, etc. I had the same problem.

You definitely need to do the stone pillar room. And it's one of the greatest rewards in the game when you get it right!

jkausa
01-20-2004, 08:00 PM
hi wstrohm thanks for your reply. i did as you suggested. but after i lighted the second lamp my problems began. there is nothing but darkness except for the bulb on the second lamp and then there is total darkness until i end up back at start of the tunnnel just beyond the prison. if i understand correctly there are two more light bulbs to be lit but all i see after the second light bulb is darkness. i read the read me file that came with the game and it said that there is a known issue with the screen being too dark on some computers. the game has been running fine until this happened i hope i can complete the game.i have also turned up the brightness on my screen. nothing has helped. after you lit the second lamp did you see another lamp? thanks for any information.

jka

wstrohm
01-22-2004, 06:34 PM
So have you tried turning up the brightness on your monitor just for that scene? If I could remember where the other lamps were as you travel back from the seashore, I would tell you, but unfortunately I don't have Riven installed at the moment. I'll edit this later if have a chance to look for the lamps.

wstrohm
01-24-2004, 11:46 AM
OK,

I replayed that & here's what I got:

NOTE: SPOILERS BELOW ---

At the seashore, turn around and light the first lamp. Take 1 click forward; you should see an easily-visible stick with a lamp hanging from it on the left side of your screen. Note that your cursor changes to a hand when it is over the lamp. Turn that lamp on. Another click forward and it is dark again, but there is a lamp 3/4 way toward the right of the screen about 5/8 down from the top. Again, when you are over it the cursor will change to a hand. After turning that one on, click forward once again and the lamp is about 4/5 of the way to the left screen edge, about 2/3 of the screen height down from the top. Turn that one on and you will see a closed door, but ignore it and click through the open doorway, which you came through going the other way. Past the dooway, there is a lamp about 4/5 of the way to the right side of the screen about 1/2 way down. One more forward click, and there is a lamp on the left about 2/3 of the way across the screen and a little above halfway down. Now you should be able to see the entrance from the prison cell. Turn around and return to the square door and you take it from there.