PDA

View Full Version : White robes to Black robes...

gsosolidk
06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
I was watching the AC:R trailer today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K39UWxdm0U

And so I showed the trailer to some of my family. None of them actually play AC, but they love the trailers and they are continuously amazed by the graphics of the games. In the trailer, when Ezio see's Altair, straight away, my sister said "I remember him. I like that one. With the white robes. They look a lot better"... And I couldn't help but feel the same way? This isn't a Ezio vs Altair thing. It's just, the white robes were kind of cooler?
The black robes were awesome in AC2... that was because it was something special. It was a novelty. If you get what I'm trying to say?
Slowly, the black became more usual and I preferred white again as the novelty wore off.

I watched the AC1 trailers (before it was released), and immediately associated the assassins with white robes, and now it seems as though the black robes are becoming more predominant?
I also liked the availability of being able to dye the robes, but on many colors this seemed cheap and not... assassin-ey? The browns, yellows and so and so really didn't fit in (the reds and blacks were OK however). This was the same for the brotherhood assassins.

Is this just me? Or would you agree that it would be nice to have Ezio back in some simple, white robes? And have Ubisoft actually rinsed out the whole black robe thing?

Bruno_Berg
06-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by gsosolidk:

And so I showed the trailer to some of my family. None of them actually play AC, but love the trailers and they are continuously amazed by the graphics of the games. In the trailer, when Ezio see's Altair, straight away, my sister said "I remember him. I like that one. With the white robes. They look a lot better"... And I couldn't help but feel the same way? This isn't a Ezio vs Altair thing. It's just, the white robes were kind of cooler?
The black robes were awesome in AC2... that was because it was something special. It was a novelty. If you get what I'm trying to say?
Slowly, the black became more usual and I preferred white again as the novelty wore off.
I watched the AC1 trailers (before it was released), and immediately associated the assassins with white robes, and now it seems as though the black robes are becoming more predominant?
I also liked the availability of being able to dye the robes, but on many colors this seemed cheap and not... assassin-ey? The browns, yellows and so and so really didn't fit in (the reds and blacks were OK however).

Is this just me? Or would you agree that it would be nice to have Ezio back in some simple, white robes?
I love the white robes, the AC:B robe is my favorite so far. However, I can't say I dislike the AC:R robes though, I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it fits in somehow.

Captain Tomatoz
06-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I think he's in black because he is now a mentor. Like al mualim from ac1 was in black

Bruno_Berg
06-07-2011, 04:05 PM
On a side note, isn't it more grey/brown than black?

Blind2Society
06-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Looks blue to me.

gsosolidk
06-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I agree... The ACR robes do look really good. I mean, the fur is a really nice touch surprisingly. And I guess it fits, as the trailer shows weather isn't going to be constant heatwaves as it has been...

And Tony, yes the reason he wears black now probably is because he is now a mentor, but they don't look no way near as assassinish as the white ones did? If I was one of the citizens in Italy, or Turkey, or Jerusalem, I would see the white robed, hooded man and think "assassin" straight away. I don't think I would for someone in black?

I just looked at the white robes, the hood, the leap of faith, and the hidden blade as the four things which defined an assassin... The hidden blade is still there, but now there's also a hook blade (not complaining about that, just making a point). Leaps of faiths are nowhere near as useful as they were in AC1. And the white robes slowly turn black.

ConnivingEagle
06-07-2011, 04:12 PM

And so I showed the trailer to some of my family. None of them actually play AC, but they love the trailers and they are continuously amazed by the graphics of the games. In the trailer, when Ezio see's Altair, straight away, my sister said "I remember him. I like that one. With the white robes. They look a lot better"... And I couldn't help but feel the same way? This isn't a Ezio vs Altair thing. It's just, the white robes were kind of cooler?

I also liked the availability of being able to dye the robes, but on many colors this seemed cheap and not... assassin-ey? The browns, yellows and so and so really didn't fit in (the reds and blacks were OK however). This was the same for the brotherhood assassins.

Is this just me? Or would you agree that it would be nice to have Ezio back in some simple, white robes? And have Ubisoft actually rinsed out the whole black robe thing?

They made his new outfit like that(grey and worn-out) to show his growth since the previous games. They're trying to give you the feel of a more older, rugged, experienced, and wiser assassin. I think they do a damn good job of it.

Blind2Society
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
A strange thing I noticed, that could just be the intense sun of the desert, but at 0.48 of the E3 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6Q14vBB1c) it appears ezio is wearing white robes. Again, this is probably just the lighting but they look very white.

Captain Tomatoz
06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
And Tony, yes the reason he wears black now probably is because he is now a mentor, but they don't look no way near as assassinish as the white ones did? If I was one of the citizens in Italy, or Turkey, or Jerusalem, I would see the white robed, hooded man and think "assassin" straight away. I don't think I would for someone in black?

I agree that white is a lot better and they'll probably allow you to dye your clothes back to white if you want to

gsosolidk
06-07-2011, 04:19 PM
@Blind2Society

I guess I just had a really stupid moment. I thought that was Altair. It makes sense now though, it's just another part of Ezio's journey to Masyaf. Stupid of me.

@ConnivingEagle

Can't say you're wrong there. It'd make sense of them to try give off that image with his new robes. I guess the white has to me, been subconsciously associated with the young, clean shaven Ezio, and young Altair. Ezio wearing them at the age of 52 wouldn't look as good.

Also on a side note, what happens to Ezio's robes from AC2? Not the master robes, but his actual white ones? Are they ever lost, destroyed?

BK-110
06-07-2011, 04:35 PM
I find the new colour scheme very fitting, both in terms of his age and the area. It makes him look more like the traveling, seasoned warrior that he is.

Aside from that, I gotta say that, along with Alta´r's, it's my favorite outfit in the series, yet.

kriegerdesgottes
06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
They look blue to me too but I agree I don't like how they changed the color even though the suit does look cool. As long as they give me the option to make him assassin white and still have him look awesome I don't care too much. Also please let me take off that stupid fur and put a cape on if I want.

medcsu11
06-07-2011, 05:17 PM
The new robes aren't black, they are a navy blue (and look great). If you remember from AC2 in Altair's codex pages, he states that the creed needs to evolve and "fit in" more as not to show the world who they are. In this, he meant no finger loss and I firmly believe the evolution also means in robes.
Pretty epic trailer all around. Love how the Templar Lord looks around to see what Ezio is looking at when he see's a vision of Altair.
Really coming together.

souNdwAve89
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I LOVE the new outfit that Ezio has since he has a more assassin vibe. You guys have to admit that walking around in a flashy white outfit does attract attention. I wished Ubisoft would make the game harder since guards can't be THAT stupid to not recognize an assassin... It helps make the player be more stealthy.

It worked in AC1 because the assassins can blend in with the monks and they were more known to the public. Also, the robe then wasn't too flashy compared to something like AC:B, Armor of Altair, or the Armor of Brutus.

I personally think the outfit for Revelations and AC2's (Giovanni's) had the best vibe of an assassin.

PinkSkittles284
06-08-2011, 03:45 AM
Looks blue to me.

They look blue to me too

The new robes aren't black, they are a navy blue (and look great).

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif yay! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought they were navy blue!

ChaosxNetwork
06-08-2011, 03:49 AM
The robes are blue and it is to blend in with the location same reason why Altair was white.

xangie1
06-08-2011, 04:08 AM
The one thing I love about this new robe is the missing cape. Watching Ezio drop that stupid cape in the trailer and swirl aournd guards like that really looked awesome. Also it's a lot closer to Altair's. In fact it's like a black version of Altair's robe and I definitvely like it!

Riley4142
06-08-2011, 02:34 PM
The assassins robes have always been about blending in, like the armor of altair with the black-robed monks of the sistine chapel, or the armor of brutus with the red-clad religious folk that roam the vaticano district.

NewBlade200
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I'll miss the old white and red but this fits in so much more. The white robes made me wonder why guards didn't attack you on site. The darker robes would help you blend with the people of Constantinople, while white would not. That, and the whole ''black(/navy/grey) goes with everything'' thing.

sassinscreed
06-16-2011, 07:24 AM
i think the new ezio look is awesome and perfectly fits the game setting

El_Sjietah
06-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Blind2Society:
A strange thing I noticed, that could just be the intense sun of the desert, but at 0.48 of the E3 trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo6Q14vBB1c) it appears ezio is wearing white robes. Again, this is probably just the lighting but they look very white.

Yup, it's the sun playing tricks on you. It makes every color seems lighter and the patch of fur on his shoulder, that's already close to white, becomes more dominant in the entire picture. Even more so because we view Ezio from above.

RzaRecta357
06-16-2011, 08:40 AM
I think it'll just be this game. The assassins at the camp all wear white hoodies like Desmonds. Lucy was rocking white.

I can't wait for this game to be over so we can watch NEXT YEARS E3 when HOPEFULLY Desmond pulls that hood up badass assassin style.

Maybe we'll get lucky and that scene will be at the end of this game.

ShaneO7K
06-16-2011, 08:44 AM
Most of the main high ranking important assassin's, from what we seen usually wear black robes.
For example Al Mualim wore black robes, Mario wore black robes, Niccol˛ Machiavelli wore black robes and if we go by that Ezio will now to.

Or it could be just to fit in with the crowd, like how Altair wore white to look like a monk in the crowds.

Azula2005
06-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I LOVE IT!!!

You can't just dress up as what ever you want

in ACB Ezio looked like that of a cardinal
(Red and white) to blend in better

In ACR has a Turkish, Persian style in him to fit in with the surroundings

now for the color...The middle east has the best Colors and Patterns IN THE WORLD from Persian art to Moroccan wedding dresses

to them the color white has no life in it
so give it some blue with designs (Ezio's Robes)

those are facts!
hope that helped you if you think i made an error please tell me ( i love to learn!)

Blind2Society
06-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Gabrieldebeta:
The middle east has the best Colors and Patterns IN THE WORLD

those are facts!

if you think i made an error please tell me ( i love to learn!)
Gee, that's sounds an awful lot like an opinion to me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Mutley_Rulz
06-16-2011, 03:25 PM
They look brown in the E3 Gameplay trailer.

In any case, I like them, they fit in with the crowd much more effectively than anything you could find in AC2/B.

Only thing I'm worried about is the cape, if it's an optional wear, as I hope it is, will it fit with the colour scheme effectively (more than AC2's cape did)?

scope2005
06-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Ubi are being quite tight lipped about the customisation options in ACR.

I recall Alex Amancio saying in a video interview with gamespot that there will be more advanced customisation options - but I hope this goes a bit further than just colour selection or the ability to reskin to an old armor set ala AC2 and ACB.

Perhaps changing the robe style or pattern, buckles and pouches, and cape or furs among other details would be nice...

Ezio's new robes are a mish-mash of altair style and renaissance and I like that, but to choose details would be awesome.