PDA

View Full Version : To buy or not to buy

berryml
04-30-2007, 07:12 AM
I am deciding whether to get SH 4 in the next month or so. Should I continue to wait or has patch 1.2 fixed it enough? What says the community.

K-Squad
04-30-2007, 07:16 AM
That depends on what you can put up with. I had brought the game when 1.2 was released and generally had a positive overall experience with the game. It was how played it and am increasing realism and fun is increased with manual TDC.

It is how much you like this kind of game, how you play it and how faithful you are to the genre that matter. I am a newcomer to the SH series and 4 is my first one, and I enjoyed it immensely and forgave a few bugs.

Haggis45
04-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Compaired to SH3, it's night and day -at present. (it has potential -we see that, but do the dev's...)
The campaign needs fixed and loooong mundane patrols also (if your machine can't handle past x1024 time-skip, boy are you in for one looooong day!) There's a heap of problems still needing fixed to make it fully playable and most of all enjoyable in the campaign dept.
SH3 is still the 'daddy' for 'allround' action and superb sub/torp and equipment upgrades within the campaign -also way,way better manual.

I would wait until patch 1.3 is released and then check in here for feedback.
If it's your first sub game, you'll be initialy impressed. But you will rapidly get bored of the patrols.
Get SH3 if you don't own it?

Deepbluewolf
04-30-2007, 07:40 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif
BUY the game! it's a game!it's also a sim...yes and it's great fun. the purpose of this thing is to entertain...it does that for me, and yes SHIII is still great too, BUT this is SH4 !!! not SHIII, not the same. It has glitches...mmmm...yeah i also im a fan of SHIII, but hey life is not perfect.

Haggis45
04-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Deepbluewolf:
BUT this is SH4 !!! not SHIII, not the same. It has glitches...mmmm...yeah i also im a fan of SHIII, but hey life is not perfect.

Thank goodness they aren't the same. The genre would have died out YEARS ago http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

'glitches'..... Now that's a good one. So, how many words can we use to bypass the words 'missing features' & 'bugs' http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

berryml
04-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks. I have SH III. I actually started with SH and loved the game. At last American submarines!

SH III is great and I am about mid-way thourgh a war long career. I want SH4, but it still seems awfully buggy. Also I would be running it on minimum specs.

Maybe I will wait until the next patch comes out.

Haggis45
04-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by berryml:
Also I would be running it on minimum specs.

Maybe I will wait until the next patch comes out.

That would be your biggest problem -asside bugs,missing features etc.
That is why i said about running time-skip past 1024x
People fail to realise that there are a lot of folks that play SH3/4 with quite low specs? Now you can turn down settings like graphics etc but you *can't* turn down time-skip! If you have a low spec (especialy RAM) you will get SEVERE lag when running high time-skip.
SH4 goes up and past 6,000x (yes you read that correct. SH3 only went up to 2048x) and you need it, for the pacific is long and very boring.
Getting to and from objective and base requires a lot of staring at the nav map -you have to get back to base to dock for renown also. No exiting mid sea.

You can't speed up the nav map unless you have a powerful machine with a lot of RAM (I have 2gig -even then it lags up when near land and base and you often can't exit it before your sub smashes into dock or land. SMASHING away at the minus button, screaming, slooooooow down!!! is quite normal http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

berryml
04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
I suppose you could read a book while traveling large distances. I remember the arguments about actually traveling the map v. being placed outside the patrol area as SH did. Maybe this should be a selectable option.

Ha anyone done any research to see how long it takes to Travel a known distance?

shadow_858
04-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Buy it. It will just keep getting better and better.

I'm currently running SH4 patched to 1.2 and with about 8 mods, including a mod that allows me to start a career in 1941 and finish it in 1945 (assuming I survive) instead of being retired after 6 or 7 missions.

Other mods I'm running include brighter torpedo wakes so that it's poosible to follow your torp all the way to impact, and a 'green lamp' mod which changes the yellow buttons to green once activated.

Further mods and patches will make this game excellent in a few months.

Haggis45
04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
You have the option of starting your patrol outside harbour or docked in SH4. Saves the web of waypoints needed to get out after the 20th time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
You (seriously) could read a thick book, and maybe finish it!, by the time your sub got to it's patrol zone! Even in 1,000+ time skip, you get 'mobbed' by crazy japanese planes that morph out of no where. So dive+surface, dive+surface repeat many times and you would be looking at tens of minutes, going on hours. (As one poster said; He played in 512x time skip and it took him 90 minutes to get back to base staring at his nav map.
The other thing i do not like about SH4 campaign, is it doesn't count opportunistic sinking -like SH3 does.
So if you say for eg sank 5 merchants on the way to the patrol zone (missed with several torps also) and had 6 torps left. They don't count as part of the mission.
The patrol zone mission is the *only mission* that counts and if it tells you to 'engage convoy' for eg BUT not how many you require to sink to make the mission complete, is what is frustrating. (unlike SH3 which basicaly told you to patrol an area for 24hrs and do what you like!) So you sink 3 and run out of torps, the mission isn't a success.
You have to find another base to resupply at then head back out and wait for another convoy etc and keep sinking until the 'mission complete' icon flashes on your taskbar.
BUT, there's more!, you must surface and tell base that you have completed that mission and then they MAY give you another secondary mission further away to do -which may require you getting more torps from another base before heading further away...phew
Just because it flashes complete isn't the way the game works. You must surface and tell base -which can be very hard when the place is crawling with enemy ships.
I've (in my early missions) went all the way home, thousands of miles, only to be met with a 'failure' because the secondary mission only pops up when your at base -if you don't surface and radio before hand.
I wish they had kept SH3 method http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

berryml
05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
For a computer with a P4 and 1 Gig of ram what is the fastest time skip that is practicaly possible? My computer handles SH III fine at the fastest time compression which is something in excess of 1,000.

Listerlives
05-01-2007, 07:21 AM
Don't buy it yet.
Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent sub game. At least it COULD BE. But between the annoyance bugs and the constant CTD's, it's just not worth the frustration. Until it gets fixed it'll do nothing more than piss you off constantly until you end up shelving it. Wait until more patches have been released before jumping in this thing. And at that point it'll probably be a 19.99 game anyway so you can save some money.

Haggis45
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by berryml:
For a computer with a P4 and 1 Gig of ram what is the fastest time skip that is practicaly possible? My computer handles SH III fine at the fastest time compression which is something in excess of 1,000.

The fastest time skip in SH4 is x9,180 -i can use that with my 2 gig DDR400 RAM -as long as you are WELL away from land and just trying to get to patrol zone pronto! Within a few hundred miles of land you better hope you don't get lag pressing that minus key! Otherwise it's too late.
SH3 time skip is x2048.
I was using around x6,000+ time skip (with lots of stutter depending on the area your going to) with 1gig DDR400 AMD64 3500+ CPU & GeForce 7800GT 256mb PCI-E card

onomatopeia
05-01-2007, 08:18 AM
fastest time compression is 8000 odd.

SH4 would be worth it even with bugs at medium specs, but I'm not sure you'd enjoy playing the game at minimum specs.

berryml
05-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Assuming a minimum specification machine with a Radeon X1300 video card what would be the problems? As far as graphics are concerned I would be happy with SH III level.