PDA

View Full Version : How much to spend for a new PC to handle CoD

WildeSau1975
02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Hi,

I have a rather old PC which can barley handle IL1946 to its full extend and would like to buy a new one for CoD.

Can someone tell me what the minimum requirements would be and how much that would cost - would be the whole system incl. a new screen.

Thanks

Michael

VW-IceFire
02-02-2011, 07:13 AM
From the Official 1C forums:

PC CONFIGURATION

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3

PROCESSOR: Pentium® Dual-Core 2.0GHz or Athlon™ X2 3800+
(Intel Core i5 2.66GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 2.6GHz recommended)

RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)

VIDEO CARD: DirectX® 9.0c compliant, 512Mb Video Card (1GB DirectX® 10 recommended) - See supported List*

DIRECT X®: DirectX® 9.0c or DirectX® 10 (included on disc)

DVD-ROM DRIVE: 8X

SOUND CARD: DirectX 9.0c compatible

HARD DISK SPACE: 10GB

PERIPHERALS: Mouse, keyboard (joystick with throttle and rudder control recommended)

MULTIPLAY: Broadband connection with 128 kbps upstream or faster

*SUPPORTED VIDEO CARDS AT TIME OF RELEASE:

ATI® 4850/4870/5830/5850/5770/5870/6870/6950/6970

NVidia®: 8800/9800/250/260/275/285/460/465/470/480
So those are the system specs. With a game like this the faster the better. As for how much to spend... that very much determines what country you're from. Since we don't know it's very hard to say. I usually spend up to $1500 Canadian to upgrade my system every 5 years or so. In the states it's probably cheaper and in the UK and Europe it will vary.

WildeSau1975
02-02-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi IceFire,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am from Switzerland - so probably not a country where you can get it for the best price - just would like to have an indication what would be the investment for PC that can handle CoD well - will be more or less the only game that I plan to play.

So hope you or someone else can give me an idea what would be the best components to have and roughly the price.

Many thanks.

Regards,

Michael

Ba5tard5word
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
In the US, I would imagine you could get a computer with the minimum specs for around $500 or less--a 2.0Ghz core2duo, 2GB of RAM and an 8800 gpu. Might be able to get a used computer cheaper too.

For around $900 to 1000 I know you can get a computer that would do a lot better--more like an i7, 4 to 6GB of RAM, and a GTX 460 card. I would spend the extra dough for something like that to run it better, it's probably going to look like crap on the minimum specs, and if later versions and add-ons to COD come out they will probably be a bit more demanding of your system, kind of like comparing Il-2 1946 with the early versions of Il-2.

Of course it would really be best to just wait out the remaining weeks and see what people recommend for COD after it comes out and they've played around with it for a while. That would be the best way to spend your money wisely.

Ba5tard5word
02-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Also I think tonight I'll mess around with the custom configurator on Ibuypower and provide some prices for some basic computers people could play COD on.

Jaws2002
02-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Wait until the game is out. You'll save money.

Don't waste your money on dual cores. Quads are way better for a game like this. You are better off with an older quad than a newer dual. Flight sims are very processor intensive and the more cores ther better.
I'd say don't buy it now.Read a lot about hardware trends for the next few weeks. You'll know a lot more about what's out there and we'll know a lot more what to expect from the game as well. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Chivas
02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
You could use your old case, DVD drive, Harddrive, and maybe even your power supply if its 500 watts or more.

Then buy a I7 motherboard...250 dollars
Intel I7 950 cpu... 300 dollars
6 gigs of memory ...100 dollars
high end gpu.......300 dollars
monitor.........300 dollars

You could have a very good computer for 1250 dollars including monitor. Much cheaper than buying a system. Its quite easy to screw the new motherboard to your case and plug in the cpu, memory, and gpu. Just do alittle research on-line.

Rjel
02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Dont completely rule out AMD chips. While they might not preform every task as fast as the Intel chips, for gaming (and nearly anything else I've tried) AMD does very, very well. At a much lower cost. What I saved on a six core Phenom II X6 chip, I was able to plow into a better graphics card.

M_Gunz
02-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Rjel:
Dont completely rule out AMD chips. While they might not preform every task as fast as the Intel chips, for gaming (and nearly anything else I've tried) AMD does very, very well. At a much lower cost. What I saved on a six core Phenom II X6 chip, I was able to plow into a better graphics card.

+1

Looking at deals on a PhenomII X4 920 and there are some now, should be more/better next month or so. 920 is one of the recommended spec CPU's at base clock speed. With a good mobo (leaning towards MSI) they can overclock from 2.66 to 3.3 safely enough, that is just over 25%. It's nothing as good as the best and nothing as expensive. I don't need a race car to get around and in another year the big-ticket hardware will be on discount or life will have changed so much I may not be playing games anyway.

I think I will plunk savings into RAM and then video.

Treetop64
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
The battle between Intel and AMD has resulted in great processors from both manufactures. The price/performance lead has see-sawed back and forth between the two for years now. I'm an Intel fanboi myself, but you can't go wrong with either. Just do your homework first.

Many of us here, myself included, insist on suggesting the benefits of building your own rig. The benefits cannot be overstressed. You end up with twice the system for half the expenditure than you would if you purchased a pre-built system, and as a bonus you'll learn a whole lot about the interplay between all the stuff inside PC's and how they operate.

Doing the research beforehand can be very time consuming, but very well worth it.

RAF_OldBuzzard
02-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Unless you already have an AM2 or 2+ MB that uses DDR2 memory, I'd stay clear of the Phenom II 920 and 940.
Their memory controllers only support DDR2 memory. They will not work on a board that uses DDR3 RAM. The other PhII's controllers support both DDR2 and DDR3.

I speak from experience as I have a PhII 940.

I saw that i7 build above and chuckled.

I'm currently building an AMD system and the costs are:

ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 MB...130 dollars
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE cpu... 200 dollars
8 gigs of memory ...110 dollars
Total: 440 (Current pricing at New Egg)

As opposed to the i7:

Then buy a I7 motherboard...250 dollars
Intel I7 950 cpu... 300 dollars
6 gigs of memory ...100 dollars
Total: 650

Now the i7 does outperform the X6 in some benchmarks, but not enough in my estimation, to justify the extra 210 in basic system cost.

That 'extra' 210 could be put toward a better Vid card or monitor.

F-six
02-02-2011, 04:45 PM
My $500 Rig from late 2010

MAXMHZ1959
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Buy the best you can afford.
CoD will bring any of even the fastest systems on their knees within a couple of years, just like IL-2 did.

Don't expect much in the fields of graphics/ gameplay from the minimal or even the recommended systems.
I agree though, wait several months till after the release. You will know better what to expect from what hardware, and prices (almost) always fall, saving you money.

TheEditor_79_
02-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Forget about all older I7 or I5 cpus. I want to see how the new intel sandy bridge does in this game.

2500K $225 and preforms like a 980X!!!!

M_Gunz
02-03-2011, 02:25 AM
Google sandy bridge recall

megalopsuche
02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Jaws2002:
Wait until the game is out. You'll save money.

Don't waste your money on dual cores. Quads are way better for a game like this. You are better off with an older quad than a newer dual. Flight sims are very processor intensive and the more cores ther better.
I'd say don't buy it now.Read a lot about hardware trends for the next few weeks. You'll know a lot more about what's out there and we'll know a lot more what to expect from the game as well. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Shhhh! Don't spread the word too much. We need some people to be our guinea pigs.

Xiolablu3
02-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Rjel:

Yeah the X6 chips are incredible bang for buck

TheEditor_79_
02-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by M_Gunz:
true but its not the cpu's with the problem, its the chipset. I'm waiting for the Z68 MoBo. Put That in your googles and smoke it...lol

WTE_Galway
02-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by TheEditor_79_:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M_Gunz:
true but its not the cpu's with the problem, its the chipset. I'm waiting for the Z68 MoBo. Put That in your googles and smoke it...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Plus the only customers effected will be those who had boards actually shipped to them between 9th January and 1st February. Its mainly affecting wholesale distributors not end users.

For anyone ordering a MB right now the only effect will be a slight delay if the distributors have not got new stocks.

Of course technically the Z68 looks like being a better chipset and may be worth waiting for.