PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Game with some Potential!

DrAlexDurant
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
With the release calendar for the year seemingly clogged with shooters, sequels and so when already games, I Am Alive grabs attention for seemingly trying something imaginative and original.

Gears of war 2, God of War 3 whatever this month's call of duty game is, Prince of Persia (please be like the stunning sands of time and NOT like the other 2 urgh!) Alan wakeywakey Wake, whatever Team Ico are cooking up, some of these aforementioned games will no doubt be pretty good and enjoyable, but will they grab ones head and heart as well, make pulses pound as well as the mental cogs tick, BioShock did last year as it put story, character, ideas and design centre stage, i hope I Am Alive can do a similar thing.

Just look at the excellent trailer and the concept seems a natural one, the disaster movie genre but one a console, people to save, puzzles to solve, rubble, explosions, day to day items as weapons, threats and prizes, an everyman hero and not a super solider in sight!
Just don't get tempted to add squad dynamics, zombies, ghostly schoolchildren and shoot a guy in the head a million times online to get a 10 point achievement! Please just this once.

papaj978
07-16-2008, 04:52 PM
i hope this doesn't turn out to be like Assassin's creed. when i saw the first gameplay of Assassins Creed, i was in shock. And then a year later, the new gameplay came out and it was completely different.

jmg1213
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Assassin's Creed is an amazing game! What are you talking about??

Harold18
07-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Is this game gonna be First Person, or Third person? Does anybody know?

w-dawg15
07-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I truly hope they don't add and monsters, zombies or anything like that. I just want a game that you are surviving against other humans. But i hope they still have a few guns. GO 2nd Amendment!!

JReactor
07-17-2008, 04:56 AM
The trailer reminded me a bit from I Am Legend, with the exception that there were people in it.

nonx715
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
I am actually hoping for zombies, because there are never any zombie games that are released. The last zombie game made was Dead Rising and now there are some new ones coming out like Left 4 Dead and maybe this game will be a zombie game, but I actually look forward to a new zombie game.

DrAlexDurant
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes Zombies, slow, slow moving Zombies, that then pause and point at you summoning more stumbling poorly organised zombies by the scream of a gasping asthmatic, its designed to be scary but instead gives you ample time to either run away or as is more common simply blast their undead faces off with your handy and endless supply of pump action shot guns...bang bang deadening the undead yay guiltless murder. But they are not really zombies just poorly sick from some sort of virus, so am i like mowing down hospital patients, could be worse it could be third world hospital patients, perhaps they'll be those really original RUNNING zombies, way to play with expectations there, look that ones on roller blades!

YAY ZOMBIES!

Could be worse it could be a ghostly school girl, all they do is stand at the end of corridors talking slow...ahhh the terror.

Ahem...there will be NO prize for guessing which game series I think is overrated, passable fun but WAY overrated.

DOMINOID
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I hear you on that one. I am exited about the 23rd Call of Duty thats coming out, but Ive been wanting a good story to entrench myself in. But yeah hopefully its nothing at all how assassins creed was. The trailers looked amazing and got me all fired up, then I bought it the week it came out to spend however many hours with the same repetative gameplay over and over again, once you beat the first city.....neigh once you completed the first mission you pretty much had already experienced everything there was to experience it that game. So hopefully this game wont be a lame sack of crap like Assassins Creed. I want to be able to mix it up a little ya know.

LaurenIsSoMosh
07-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Harold18:
Is this game gonna be First Person, or Third person? Does anybody know? I would hope third person. More environmental awareness and appreciation. If you can appreciate destroyed/collapsed buildings and possibly the end of modern civilization. XD

Ubisoft likes third person anyway. Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, all of which are third person. And then Ghost Recon traded out its first person view in favor of third person Advanced Warfighter.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers for third.
Originally posted by Spetsnaz_BoB:
The trailer reminded me a bit from I Am Legend, with the exception that there were people in it. That's exactly what I thought. Everything from the apocalyptic world to the title.

"I Am Alive"
"I Am Legend"

Hmm... >_>

Rickoid
07-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
I would hope third person. More environmental awareness and appreciation. If you can appreciate destroyed/collapsed buildings and possibly the end of modern civilization. XD

Ubisoft likes third person anyway. Splinter Cell, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, all of which are third person. And then Ghost Recon traded out its first person view in favor of third person Advanced Warfighter.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers for third.[That's exactly what I thought. Everything from the apocalyptic world to the title.

"I Am Alive"
"I Am Legend"

Hmm... >_>

Agreed. The only thing That i'm getting annoyed by are people who completely and totally believe that it has something to do with I Am Legend. There have been plenty of other Apocolyptic games, books and movies, Why I Am Legend? Is it because it is the most recent?

AngelsLove
07-21-2008, 02:55 AM
I'm with DrAlexDurant on this one , i've watched the technology behind these games grow since the early 70's and played many a Monster Bashing Zombie Splattering Big Explosion games from the good old MicroB Commodore64 Atari Console and so on, but the PC changed everything for the better ! Its just taken the Technology a long time to catch up to our SuperCharged Organic CPU's within our Cranium's http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif . Now we're at a point in time where the Tech is actually translating onto a screen the way we invisage it , so why not pour on the coal and let those with the vision and talent make art out of games set in the here and now , something that "everyone" can relate to ? ... I know I for one enjoy games set in our living World that bring home to the Gamer a gripping fear enduced , anxiety charged game that could almost be happening outside my study window !

Peace & Love 2 U All

LaurenIsSoMosh
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Rickoid:
Why I Am Legend? Why not I Am Legend? It's the first that comes to mind and the most obvious.

Both begin with "I Am..."

papaj978
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jmg1213:
Assassin's Creed is an amazing game! What are you talking about??

Whoa! Don't get me wrong, Assassin's Creed was a GREAT game! Except it was just different than what i thought it would be.

LaurenIsSoMosh
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
I agree. Despite how amazing was, it was definitely not what it claimed to be.

Typically when a game is advertised as a stealth title, that means that stealth is absolutely paramount to the survival and success of the player. It's paramount in Splinter Cell, it's paramount in Metal Gear, and it's paramount in most other stealth games. Yet when Assassin's Creed was advertised as social stealth, fans purchased a game where you can beat a mission without a second thought towards being subtle and going unnoticed.

It's almost like advertising a game as survival horror and then making the character invincible and indestructible, allowing the player to leave the room and eat a bowl of cereal while hordes of zombies and chainsaw murderers fail to hurt you.

Not as advertised. Not as good as it looked at first.

AngelsLove
07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey peoples http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif perhaps some of you need to go back and look at some of the Dev clips and Interviews with Petrice and Jade , maybe even hunt them down as far back as 2006 ! if you pay attention to what they are saying you'll find that "Social Stealth" was touted as "one" of the Many ways the game could be played . It was never meant to be exclusively "Stealth" as some are trying to imply ! Pleast don't get me wrong i'm not trying to poke bones at anyone its just i feel peopel are getting a littel hung up on what they "thought" they were getting and what they got ! I rarely hear people talk about how amazing the plot and its subplots were ., Its like Petrice descibed , its a Flower Box Game , i've never seen two flowers the same ! Food for Thougt

Peace and Love 2 U All

PutTheFire-onEM
07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Nay at the title.

Every game has potential until its finished. Then you realize there is a whole bunch of crap that could have been included and was promised but was dropped out.

AngelsLove
07-21-2008, 08:49 PM
I must be missing something PutTheFire-onEM what was "promised" and Not deliverd ? Just curious on peoples interpretation of promised , i've witnessed people take suggested or suggestions out of contecxt many times and interpret it into promised and promises . Far be it from me to suggest that is what you are saying here , I'm not , i'm saying i think i may have missed something during the development of the game. Been a while since i had any need to check out the Dev chats/clips on AC and out of that the main feature that i would have liked to see among a few people < Looks Jade square in the eyes > was the Co-Op feature that had to be dropped due to production time constraints and a cost blowout that i can have a good guess at, but it was dropped fairly early on as well so .... btw its a nice puter ya got there , one suggestion get another 2 150WD's and go with Raid 0+1 , so tasty.. oh and maybe another 2GB of Ram , it might seem like overkill but people are going to start needing it more than they know at this stage http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Peace And Love 2 U All

LaurenIsSoMosh
07-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AngelsLove:
I must be missing something PutTheFire-onEM what was "promised" and Not deliverd ? Well according to the Assassin's Creed cover issue of Game Informer, there were supposed to be jugglers among the peoples, and I didn't see a single juggler in my copy! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, they named off a lot more types of civilians than actually appeared in the game. I was reading about jugglers, and I think hangings, and quite a few other types of civilians, and the only things that made it into the game were beggars, thugs, and ******s. XD

We weren't promised anything, but what he means by that is that they said something and it didn't happen. Some of the things that caught my attention in that article when I first read it were never put into the game, and other things that I read about were in an entirely different and lower state than how good they sounded in the article. It said that there was going to be a force, that everything was going to have a weight, and that running into a skinny lady would be much easier than running into a fat man. I thought I'd actually have to fight my way through a crowded place from the gentle push system, but what really happened was not what it was made out to be. Bumping into a skinny lady or a fat man both have the same effect, and getting through a crowded place takes zero effort.

Hopefully these developers will either live up to what they say is going to be in the game, or they just won't tell us all these things so that our expectations won't be higher than they should.

AngelsLove2
07-22-2008, 04:56 PM
Ah yes i do recall the body mass physics were to be a bit more special in its polish , never got to read about the Jugglers though . And yeah i guess i agree with you Lauren it was a little easier than i expected to move about in the crowded area's, so lets hope the Dev's have taken note of some of the seething angry gamer mobs outside the studio doors with torches Iphones and PSP's flashing away wildly screaming for justice and perhaps keep the hype/buzz a bit more on the " Yes we can do this and will " side of things and a little less on the " We got these great ideas we're working on to implement " . I'm sure Jade as a producer would have wanted much more but there is always that grim situation of Time and Money ,... I understand it came in under budget but i'm assuming there are the powers that be that wanted this game on the shelves without delay. Never the less it's still a Incredibly rich and deep game when you take into account the story behind the whole thing . Templar's ??? Pfft Try the Illuminati , Hey Petrice and Jade there you go take a long look at the History's of all the secret organizations of the world and where they are now . They all fly under one banner now ,well the Evil ones do at any rate and it would make for one amazing story , and i'd be happy to pass on what knowledge i have on the topic for free. Sorry got sidetracked ... I think you're right Lauren a good approach would be to keep a bit more tight lipped on what will and won't be in a game. Hey heres a question for people , does anyone think we will see a new game genre within the next 5 years ? Rock Band, Sing Star, they started something new and unique i'd love to see Ubisoft pull out all the stop's and come up with something so original that a new genre has to be created. Anyways i gotta Jet, time is precious !

Oh btw the eve servers chewed on my Original account and it was suggested i make a second Temporary account , gotta love 1's & 0's

Peace And Love 2 U All

LaurenIsSoMosh
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by AngelsLove2:
Never got to read about the Jugglers though. Well then let me take care of that for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Originally written in Game Informer Issue 158:
Every NPC has a wealth of needs, each with a relative value. High social need might send a person to find someone to talk with. NPCs can develop thirst or hunger, and be drawn to a market fruit stand or fountain. Those that desire rest might look for a bench. Those who want entertainment might seek out a streetside piper, a juggler, or even an afternoon hanging in the town square. I read that article a year before Creed hit shelves and imagined this amazing universe, and when I had the game in my hands, it was brilliant, but far from what the article made it out to be. And then I stumbled onto that magazine again in my room about three months after I'd played Creed, and I reread all of the things that I loved about the game, and some of the things that never made it in.

Now I'm imagining a new amazing universe, I Am Alive. Video game technology hasn't advanced that much in two years, but the developers' minds are always advancing, and I certainly hope they'll make this game everything they want it to be, with no time or budget constraints holding them back.

AngelsLove4
07-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AngelsLove2:
Never got to read about the Jugglers though. Well then let me take care of that for you. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Originally written in Game Informer Issue 158:
Every NPC has a wealth of needs, each with a relative value. High social need might send a person to find someone to talk with. NPCs can develop thirst or hunger, and be drawn to a market fruit stand or fountain. Those that desire rest might look for a bench. Those who want entertainment might seek out a streetside piper, a juggler, or even an afternoon hanging in the town square. Cool http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif Here in Aus we don't get that paticular Magazine and haven't been to their website , but we do have PC Powerplay which is a fantastic mag for interviews reviews and previes , they're very thourough but i haven't even picked up a issue of it in almost a year, i've been to busy working on a project i hope to have up and running within the next 2 years. I had to go and make a 3rd account since the servers for whatever reason keep chewing them up... I'm thinking it has something to do with my profile based on the error i've gotten with the first two accounts so i decided not to add one to this account so as to not hurt the poor hampsters working furiously on their treadmills trying to keep the servers up and running . i guess i should explain what it is that get's my juices going with this genre of game. Story Story Story , then graphics sound and immersion through well executed gameplay, all art is subjetctive and i have a tendancy to over look shortcomings in a world thats moving along at a breakneck speed with time being as precious as it is. Which Reminds me i put a post up in the Assassin's Forum you might find interesting, i hope someone does haha anyways time to log this account out and see if i can get back on with the same one http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Peace And Love 2 U All

Miikkii
07-25-2008, 05:10 AM
stop arguing haha its just speculation obviously the people saying its got nothing to do with I Am Legend dont have a imagination. it could be similar or it might not be similar who cares it looks like a amazing game from what we have seen. most likely 3rd Person. personally i cant wait for this game, the only game thats worth waiting for in a while....

gguest
09-14-2008, 12:39 AM
I read somewhere that the game would be in first-person to drawn the player further into the game...or something similar.

I would much prefer 3rd Person, especially there seems to be so much climable rubble-In most first person games the character has trouble climbing a arm heigh ledge-and so that you can better see the people that are chasing you.

leonarddav
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I think the original ideea from I am legend is very good ... with that kind of zombies .. tought, agile,not very stupid . At night just if you are very good you would dare to go out .. That would need more atention and tactics . that could be a good game. Just trying to find somebody else . But with a limited period of time every day !

PutTheFire-onEM
10-30-2008, 09:08 PM
One thing about the game developing work.

Games are always promising. That is, until they go gold http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

slickedz
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
I love these kind of games. They are so cool and suspenseful. i just wish game makers made games like these. Even though I haven't played the game i would give this a 20 out of 10!

Jord2332
02-12-2009, 12:19 PM
confirmed that i am alive is FIRST PERSON! woo!

http://www.computerandvideogam...rticle.php?id=205355 (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205355).

Johnny86inch
02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
if its going to be first person, I would hope it would be more like mirrors edge perspective... that'll be cool