PDA

View Full Version : More ROW Frustrations...

ElAurens
11-11-2007, 02:59 PM
The first time I DL'd the alpha, it was a single download with all components contained within that DL.

Now it appears to be a multiple part down load with all components separated. Is this correct?

If so, why?

Totally confusing, and needlessly so.

Is there a single DL that contains all parts somewhere I'm not finding?

tambor198
11-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I have to agree with you, El. Sometimes it seems like you just get one version of a mod installed and the next on is released. AS far as I know there is not a single DL for the ROW mod.

tenakakhan_1981
11-12-2007, 04:57 AM
I think it has to do with the modder wanting to give everybody the flexibility of choosing what they want in. The initial dload got a fair few complaints about, say, the lighting effects in the Pacific or the way the waves seemed to be resource intensive. I believe what they've done is broken it all down to make it a matter of choice for people.

You'll also notice that they make an effort to include versions of the ROW textures for use with NSM, TM etc etc. so that everyone can mod it without conflicts.

If you read the SubSim thread, you can pretty quickly work out what you need. And with the individual elements downloadable, you can mix and match them with any other mods you currently have to create you own SH4 experience.

Me personally I like it better this way, but I can see how it can appear daunting when first viewed. If you read the thread, and have a bit of a play with what's available though, you can get an extremely sweet looking game in no time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Oldsmobile1958
11-12-2007, 05:05 AM
tenekakhan is right.

There are some reasons for the mod in parts.
* Easier to offer more choises (glare, no glare, NSM etc..)
* Easier to update. If something news comes out, you do not have to remove the complete mod.
* This is a very largo mod due size.
For people with slower connections this just works better
* Download bandwith. If you need to download the complete mod everytime something new comes out. Leo needs a lot of download bandwith.

Please be patient, read the thread.
This mod is worth every penny of it (even better it's free)..
It will boost your game with fantastic graphics !

ElAurens
11-12-2007, 05:28 AM
I have read the SubSim thread several times and each time I'm more confused than the time before...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

I'll try to figure it all out again.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

capt_frank
11-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
I have read the SubSim thread several times and each time I'm more confused than the time before...I'll try to figure it all out again.

From what I understand, give this a go:

From the first page of the ROW post go to the ROW Downloads part.

1. ROW Main game load screen: download if you wish (not necessary for the mod to work);
2. ROW camera mod: download one;
3. ROW reflections: download all three (sub, ship and oblects);
4. ROW sea foam: download one;
5. ROW textures: download one;
6. ROW zone and special effects: download the one which applies to what you already have installed, i.e., NSM, TM or stock;
7. ROW sky and water: download;
8. Row clouds: download one, and
9. ROW sounds: download if you wish.

Install with JSGME. The install order doesn't seem to be set in stone but I do this:

Textures
Sky and ocean
sub
ship
objects
camera
special effects
foam
clouds

I have compiled my own sounds which I add last.

Have fun!

shadow_858
11-12-2007, 10:11 AM
When 'living breathing ocean' came out, there was a basic version of the mod offered. why can't that happen with ROW? I don't want to spend hours downloading different fragments of a mod.

ElAurens
11-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks capt_frank.

Too much time in IL2 I guess. It's all so easy there, or at least it was...

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Oldsmobile1958
11-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by shadow_858:
When 'living breathing ocean' came out, there was a basic version of the mod offered. why can't that happen with ROW? I don't want to spend hours downloading different fragments of a mod.

Because LBO was mainly a modified scene.dat file.

ROW covers waves, ocean color, sky color, rain, seafoam, explosion effects, oilslicks, sounds any much more. Thats hundreds of files.

If you follow capt_frank's post, you'll be fine.
It looks harder then it really is.

shadow_858
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Any idea what the fps hit is by loading these mods?

AVGWarhawk
11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Any idea what the fps hit is by loading these mods?

None that I'm aware of. Actually I gained FPS using this mod.

For the OP, follow what Frank has posted. If all of these files were set up as one the download time would be ugly. As stated above you have a choice on what you want. Personally I do not use the ship reflections. They do not look right to me. Further the high texture sea foam is killer on my system so I run the lesser mod of the two. If this was not done, quite a few would be SOL because this mod was created with the Nvidia 8800 vid card that can handle all the high end textures. Leo was kind enough to make two versions of most of the mod so guys with lesser machines can enjoy the mod.

shadow_858
11-12-2007, 12:10 PM
OK. Thanks for all the help, Guys. I might just give it a try.

AVGWarhawk
11-12-2007, 12:15 PM
OK. Thanks for all the help, Guys. I might just give it a try.

Definitely, if it screws up the FPS, simply deactivate with JSGME. I was amazed it did not kill my FPS and this is a great thing!

shadow_858
11-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I'll wait for 1.4, and then once ROW is compatible, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

AVGWarhawk
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
I'll wait for 1.4, and then once ROW is compatible, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Leovampire has been working with the developers concerning the ROW mod. ROW should be compatible with the 1.4 patch straight after the new patch is downloaded and installed.