PDA

View Full Version : Small but irritating problem. Please help

Apokalips_
09-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I have a small problem with Far Cry. When playing Far Cry, there is continous harddisk activity which doesnt seem to affect the game. Now, every three seconds the harddisk activity pauses and the motion in the game stops for half a second. Apart from that everything in the game is OK.

Please help!

My system: MSI MS6729 Mainboard (DELTA, NFORCE2 chipset); AMD Athlon XP 2600+ ; 512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM; Sapphire ATI RADEON 9800 PRO; SB Live .

[This message was edited by Apokalips_ on Sun September 05 2004 at 01:35 PM.]

Apokalips_
09-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I have a small problem with Far Cry. When playing Far Cry, there is continous harddisk activity which doesnt seem to affect the game. Now, every three seconds the harddisk activity pauses and the motion in the game stops for half a second. Apart from that everything in the game is OK.

Please help!

My system: MSI MS6729 Mainboard (DELTA, NFORCE2 chipset); AMD Athlon XP 2600+ ; 512 MB PC3200 DDR RAM; Sapphire ATI RADEON 9800 PRO; SB Live .

[This message was edited by Apokalips_ on Sun September 05 2004 at 01:35 PM.]

ashasha
09-05-2004, 03:20 PM
Check to make sure that you have no background apps running. Sounds like something is running on startup and is accessing the HD or hitting the pagefile. Oopen TaskManager to see how many processes are running, you shouldn't have more than 25-28 running on a fresh boot and you can have less than that. Type "msconfig" in the run box on your start menu and go to the startup tab to see what is loading at boot.

It could also be a fragemented pagefile, if you are running a little low on ram (1024 is better for Facry) then you will be hitting the pagefile, if it is fragmented then it will cause freezes. Try putting the pagefile on a seperate drive or partition or atleast defragment your drive. More ram would help. It helped me.

Jabroni_619
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
As stated, the fewer process you've got running the better. I wouldnt' get too alarmed if its over 25-28 depending on what they are. I've got about 35 or so and no issues running the game, but i've also got a gig of ram. SPYWARE and virus scanners are notorious for not only using up a significant amount of memory (especially spyware) but also accessing the drive. Run some spyware utilities like spybot and adaware to remove any that you may have.

-ABIT NF7-S (nForce2)
-Mobile Barton 2600+@2.3GHz
-Radeon 9800 Pro @ 420/380
-2x512MB Corsair XMS @ 2-2-2-11
-Audigy2 Platinum

Luck.exe
09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Sounds to me like you're hitting your swap file. If you are using the highest gfx settings you will want to buy yourself more than 512mb RAM because it does use up alot of ram with those very high gfx settings. Before I got my new machine with 1gb DDR400 I had 512mb PC800 Rambus (640mb) and far cry even used all of that up, so I recommend no less than 512, but you should consider more if you want to be able to play Far Cry on those high gfx settings without supfile usage (too much that is).

My System:
WinXP Pro SP1
Intel Pentium4E 3.0HT
ASUS P4P800SE 1024mb PC3200 (Dual Channel 2x512)
ATi Radeon X800Pro (XT hard mod)
SBAudigy2 ZS
Dual 60gb Maxtor SATA Raid0
19" ViewSonic CRT 75htz

madbass187
09-06-2004, 08:29 PM
I'm having the same problem as the dude that started this thread, but I would think that I shouldnt be having a problem at all, I have amd 64 3500+ msi k8n neo2 platinum, and a 6800 ultra oc. I defregged my hard drive, and I still get freezes, oh yeah I have 1 gig pc 2700. any suggestions, I really want to be able to play this game

Apokalips_
09-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I did defragment the harddrive, i tried to run the game with low graphical settings, but the problem remains.

Remarkable is that i used to have Geforce4MX on the same PC(wich is not even a real gaming card), and the game would run OK (in low graphical settings).

Also remarkable is that other games (heavy games like "Need for speed Underground" and even "Doom3" !!) run just fine on this system. without ANY problem. OK, in games like Doom3 I have to set all settings to "medium")

I had already installed the most recent drivers for all components (such as my RADEON 9800, which has 128 MB memory by the way.

The game runs fine, fast, graphics look OK.. The only problem is that I have this half second of pause in motion of the game every 3/4 seconds....

Apokalips_
09-10-2004, 10:36 AM
SOLVED !!!

I have played with the memory settings on my mainboard (tried different combinations) en the problem is now solved ! Check yourmemory settings madbass187 .

Bye now

jaystew67
10-15-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm having the same type of problems w/ a 6800 GT. I think its just bad drivers from NVidia, but I'm curious as to what memory settings you are talking about?
I've set all my card's control panel options to app controlled. I've got AGP aperature set to 512 (1/2 my RAM) and the AGP speed is 8X.
Sounds like you've got something good going, thanks in advance for the help
R/

Apokalips_
10-16-2004, 01:43 AM
Hi jaystew67,

I have an MSI Delta mainboard with an NForceII chipset. The advanced chipset features allow me to set the memory settings on the mainboard to 'manual' 'auto' or 'High performance'. Mine were on manual (set them the same speed as the FSB of my processor) and they are now at 'High performance'. Since this change the prblem was solved.

Success !!!

H8Ball (PC Engineer)
10-16-2004, 01:29 PM
@Apokalips_

On 'Auto', the BIOS automatically sets memory speed/timings by reading the manufacturers recommended default settings which are permanently burned-in to the tiny 8-pin SPD (Serial Presence Detect) chip on each memory module. These are the most STABLE settings you can use. FYI, on many motherboards, 'Auto' is often called 'By SPD'.

On 'High Performance', memory speed/timings are ALSO read from the SPD chip, but the BIOS "bumps" the SPD-supplied memory timings to more aggressive values to increase memory read/write performance.

On 'Manual', memory speed/timings are dictated by YOU, mainly for overclocking purposes. Your memory SPEED may have been correct on this setting, but the TIMINGS were most likely incorrect and were causing your problems.

If you experience system stability problems (random lockups or reboots) when running your memory on the 'High Performance' setting, try using 'Auto' instead as this will use the manufacturers recommended defaults for maximum stability.

Hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Apokalips_
10-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Thanks for making that clear H8Ball. Interesting to know. However, i don't have a problem anymore. jaystew67 does now. My problems with Far Cry were solved merely by changing the settings to 'high performance'

m60-guy
10-17-2004, 12:47 PM
He said that he had all the settings set to 'low'. I'm wondering if this was just the lighting bug...?

Also, I've yet to find a real game that gets better performance with 8X AGP transfers enabled. I have an older Athlon XP system, but my performance is decidedly worse in 8X mode, and absolutely unstable with fast writes enabled.