PDA

View Full Version : HAZE in OPSM (UK) - 8 page article

frd_neko
06-07-2007, 06:14 AM
The new edition of UK OPSM (issue 7) contains a really very good 8 page article on HAZE, and it's in the shops now.

Er, and that's it, really.

Neko.

spears91
06-07-2007, 08:53 AM
But I don't live in the UK...

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

cob_shaw
06-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I'll buy it on Saturday and tell you all if theres any new info. It's a good job you said because I thought it was in the PS2 mag.

TerranUp16
06-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Sounds like what Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts got in Games for Windows: The Official Magazine (formerly Computer Gaming World- still the best reviewer of PC games around). When CoH: OF was initially announced, barely anything was known about it, but one massive article later... (mouth waters)

BuddyFlashheart
06-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by spears91:

No decent Borders or Barnes & Noble bookstores around where you live?

spears91
06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by BuddyFlashheart:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spears91:

No decent Borders or Barnes & Noble bookstores around where you live? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, they sell them? I'll go check some time.

frd_neko
06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BuddyFlashheart:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spears91:

No decent Borders or Barnes & Noble bookstores around where you live? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, they sell them? I'll go check some time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's been a number of different articles published in different countries, where do you live?

Neko.

spears91
06-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by frd_neko:

There's been a number of different articles published in different countries, where do you live?

Neko.
Iowa, US

LiquidEagle
06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by BuddyFlashheart:

Even so, it takes them a good 2 months to get an Edge from the UK. I had to wait forever to buy that MGS4 one.

frd_neko
06-07-2007, 11:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by frd_neko:

Neko.
Iowa, US </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hm, yeah, okay - the only big article we've done in the US so far is that PSM3 one. There should be some coverage of UbiDays in a number of different mags quite soon though, and after that I'm sure we'll be doing more.

I have tried to highlight when all of the different mags are released in each country, but it's just easier to know with the UK mags because I can literally walk into a shop and see them on the shelves, as opposed to just hearing about it!

Neko.

spears91
06-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for information. It would be hard for me to get the magazine, anyway. It's a long bike ride to the store which I'm to lazy to go to. (I don't have a driver's license yet.)

Fates.Dark.Hand
06-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the info man http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

deded999
06-10-2007, 07:12 AM
Okay, some juicy morsels from the OPSM #7 Haze preview:

At the same time flames engulf the grass and burned-out buildings,

It's hard to tell if this refers to an area that's been bombed, or if it's caused by something like grenade damage, but a nice touch.

...a cool remote-controlled grenade - simply lob it at a position then use the trigger to blow it up...

This refers to the Mantel SK3 frag grenade. In another dev video, Dave Doak also refers to the Promise Hand troopers taking Nectar regulators from dead Mantel troopers and attaching them to a grenade to create a Nectar grenade capable of putting groups of Mantel troopers into Nectar overdose - nasty. The Nectar regulator can also be sniped or meleed, so don't turn your back on the Promise Hand...

On the ground, you'll be able to get behind the wheel of chunky APC's as well as speedy buggies.

The APC is pictured and looks like a cross between a truck and a fire engine. Chunky, but apparently unarmed. And...

There's also a whole range of Promise Hand vehicles that Free Radical Design is yet to reveal. This is an improvisational guerilla force though, so we're fully expecting them to come at you in rusty, armour-plated Datsun Cherry's.

lol.

On Nectar OD'ing:

- overdosing teammates may end up pointing rockets at their own bases, or pulling the pins from hand grenades and just standing there laughing.

Yowzer! Presumably this refers more to the AI, but it would be cool in MP to see your buddies completely lose control like that. It could get frustrating though if you were that player, but that's a good reason to keep an eye on your Nectar intake right?

On levels:

There are about 12 different environments ranging from some quite claustrophobic interiors to epic vistas. The level ~I was laying the other day, to walk across it - without enemies in it - took me over an hour.

On engaging player emotions:

We didn't want to do the kind of enforced emotion through game design: protect the civilian, if they die it's game over, therefore you care about them.
Well, that doesn't enforce emotion... the only emotion you tend to get from that is frustration. It does that bizarre reverse thing where you actually end up getting p****ed off at them because they keep getting killed.

On the dropping of squad-commands:

Haze is definetly quicker-paced than it was when we showed it at E3, although it's still a little slower, more tactical experience than Timesplitters.

On Haze' influences:

Metal Gear Solid: "It has a similar message to Haze, although I've handled it in a different way. I've always admired Kojima for being overtly political. Politics should never interfere with gameplay, but having a theme worth thinking about gives the experience real substance," says Rob.

There's more good stuff in there, so it's worth picking up the mag for a read.

Rasomaso
06-10-2007, 08:50 AM
I hope something like a preview will be even in our translated form of OPSM. The last thing they said about it was a year ago. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

deded999
06-10-2007, 09:29 AM
No idea mate - I've probably extracted all the material we didn't know beforehand, (like the new vehicle for instance), but the whole article is worth reading, if only to see the direction, themes and influences FRD have taken.

Rasomaso
06-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Anyway thanks for sharing http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

cob_shaw
06-11-2007, 09:36 AM
I brought the mag on Sat. Deded has pretty much covered it all but I'll just add:

...weapon ammo read-outs appear on the guns themselves; not handily positioned on the visor...

Dunno if anyone had noticed this on any vids?

Also, there will be a civilian presence in Haze:

at one stage, you'll be fighting to hold back an attack on a civilian village whilst the inhabitants make their escape...

Strangely, the name of the main character has gone back to Jake Carpenter... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

deded999
06-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I think the name thing is probably an error - the trailer announced the main character as Shane, so I don't think they'd change it again now.

Re: the ammo readouts, I noticed those a while ago and posted it - there's a bar which seems to show rounds left in the mag, and a series of dots, which suggests spare mags. To me it was clear and seemed to work well, keeping the HUD down to a minimum and having the bonus of the HUD actually existing in reality, (in the helmet and on the gun) rather than floating disembodied on the screen. Don't know what the PH guys are going to do though...

cob_shaw
06-11-2007, 01:33 PM
Yeah, the HUD has been well thought out and intergrated in the game. Perhaps the Promise Hand will have contact lenses or something...

TheAbyssus
06-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I read that, good stuff.