PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone ever see Blood Diamond?

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
A film withLeonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou. It`s based in Africa about a smuggler in Diamonds in a civil war province of Africa.

This film so reminded me of Far cry 2 and I`d even go far enough to say that maybe the Devs based the game off this film. there are many similarities.

I`m not a fan of DiCaprio, but he does a very good job of the hard Rhodesian smuggler who doesn`t give a toss, but shows he isn`t quite so bad in the end...

Worth watching.

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
A film withLeonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou. It`s based in Africa about a smuggler in Diamonds in a civil war province of Africa.

This film so reminded me of Far cry 2 and I`d even go far enough to say that maybe the Devs based the game off this film. there are many similarities.

I`m not a fan of DiCaprio, but he does a very good job of the hard Rhodesian smuggler who doesn`t give a toss, but shows he isn`t quite so bad in the end...

Worth watching.

Ricamundo
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Yes i saw it quite a while ago, and now that i've played FC2 a few times, BD might be worth another look, just to see the similarities in the way the African countryside is portrayed in FC2 and in the film.

DKM2
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Yeah, thereís quite a few similar concept between the FC2 and the movie,
enough that Iím sure the Devs were definitely watching it.
Definitely a must see for FC2 fans.
Thereís also a bit Heart of Darkness too, even though thereís no movie, Apocalypse Now comes closest,
except for the setting of course.

Black_Widow9
06-15-2009, 01:04 PM
How could you have this game in Africa and not have those similarities? Isn't it a huge part of what's going on? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black_Widow9:
How could you have this game in Africa and not have those similarities? Isn't it a huge part of what's going on? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Africa is not all civil wars and diamonds. There are actually a LOT of nice and peaceful countries there...

the similarities I see are:
1, Diamonds as only real currency. Part of game. This is not a standard part of most of Africa btw.
2, Mercs, smugglers. part of game.
3. Men in jeeps with Mgs. very similar vehicles.
4. The weapons are all very similar.
5. The old mobile phone use.
6. Civil war chaos as seen in FC2 sometimes.
7. The few trustworthy buddies who get wiped out.
8. the authentic South African\African terms such as `China`, etc.

point_blank19
06-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I re-watched it after playing FC2. It is very similar. I did some research and came up with another list of movies that could be in the same realm. I'll list them if you all are interested.

1. Hotel Rwanda
2. The Mercenaries
3. Cry Freedom
4. Tears Of The Sun
5. The Wild Geese
6. Dogs of War
7. Duri a morire ( Tough To Kill )
8. Skeleton Coast
9. Lord Of War
10. Pursuit
11. Sahara
12. Countdown at Kusini
13. Congo

SeaFireLIV
06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Very good. Guess the Devs got ideas from those too. I`d like to see Hotel Rwanda.