PDA

View Full Version : Medium/Heavy weapons pointless?

scottmack1
06-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I cant find any real use for swords in this game? Enemy halberds/spearmen are so common and you cant counter them whereas the hidden blade counters EVERYTHING possible, which brings my question is there anyway to beat the spears with swords rather than the tedious kick and hit method which ultimately results in his friends bashing you anyway because i much rather the sword executions but it only beats low end opponents?

LukewarmPoptart
06-05-2011, 12:16 PM
if you're already in an execution streak you can dodge their attack and then press the attack button to execute them

scottmack1
06-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Yeah i know but that means standing around waiting for someone using something other than a heavy weapon or spear to swing for you and just jumping around away from them till someone does..

Rakudaton
06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by scottmack1:
Yeah i know but that means standing around waiting for someone using something other than a heavy weapon or spear to swing for you and just jumping around away from them till someone does..

You don't have to use a counter to start a kill streak. If a heavy weapon user or spearman attacks you and you're not in a kill streak yet:

1) Dodge their attack. (If it's a spearman, hold left or right on the analog stick to dodge to the side; if you dodge backwards you'll be too far to reach them)
2) Attack them. Timed right, you'll get a kill in just two hits (first strike then execution). This puts you in a killstreak.

^^^This is only slightly slower than countering an attack. Besides if someone starts attacking you when you're attacking -- just counter THEM! That will start the killstreak fine.

I think the hidden blades became overpowered in ACB because the counter-kill timing window became as big as the sword's. Replaying AC and ACII, I still find myself getting hit when trying to perform a hidden blade counter about 50% of the time -- but I can counter 99% of the time in Brotherhood. This is because the window has become ridiculously big. I think they should reduce this window again, which would make using a sword/shortsword justifiable.

Turkiye96
06-05-2011, 01:06 PM
will u could just use your gun to get rid of the guys with spears in battle by having you sword selected and just holdind down the attack button u dont need to aim when you that close

Jakob4242
06-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Rakudaton:
[QUOTE]
I think the hidden blades became overpowered in ACB because the counter-kill timing window became as big as the sword's. Replaying AC and ACII, I still find myself getting hit when trying to perform a hidden blade counter about 50% of the time -- but I can counter 99% of the time in Brotherhood. This is because the window has become ridiculously big. I think they should reduce this window again, which would make using a sword/shortsword justifiable.

I found in AC2, that the timming of the hidden blade is to large. AC had the timing just right. I might even enjoy if the hidden blade was removed as an offensive weapon and only could be used for counters again.

daniel_gervide
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Jakob4242:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rakudaton:
[QUOTE]

I found in AC2, that the timming of the hidden blade is to large. AC had the timing just right. I might even enjoy if the hidden blade was removed as an offensive weapon and only could be used for counters again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hidden blade was offensive too... you could assassinate guards with their guard down in middle of a battle... if u had skill, it was so far the best weapon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Moultonborough
06-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by scottmack1:
I cant find any real use for swords in this game? Enemy halberds/spearmen are so common and you cant counter them whereas the hidden blade counters EVERYTHING possible, which brings my question is there anyway to beat the spears with swords rather than the tedious kick and hit method which ultimately results in his friends bashing you anyway because i much rather the sword executions but it only beats low end opponents?

Yes, there is. To beat the medium/heavy weaponized brutes you have to actually remove your weapons to just your fists. When they try to strike disarm them and kill them with their own weapon.