PDA

View Full Version : Beef about the Christmas Tree

RogerDodger1946
11-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I've noticed that the lightboard (commonly called the 'Christmas Tree') onboard all the subs in SH4 show all hatches and vents either ALL OPEN (surfaced/RED) or ALL CLOSED (submerged/GREEN).

My beef is that during surface operations, ALL hatches would never be left open when operating in wartime conditions (i.e. enemy waters). MOST would be closed with the exceptions being the bridge hatch and the main induction vents.

All exterior penetrations have an indicator light on the Christmas Tree. These would include the Torpedo Loading Hatches, which would be opened ONLY when in port and loading new torpedoes. These two hatches should always have a green indicator light glowing.

Access doors/hatches in the sides of the conning tower (that allow access to deck and AA guns) would be opened to allow the battle stations-surfaced gun crews access to their guns would be opened (red indicator), then closed again by the last man out the door to prevent heavy seas from flooding the sub (green indicator).

A minor beef, I'm sure. Comments?

GoldenEagle8
11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
you are right, but then again, UBI might have figured "who's gonna know that?" but we do notice, and it is one of the things that they probably didn't want to, or didn't have time to code in. But, we do with what we got, eh?

klcarroll
11-08-2007, 03:32 PM
RogerDoger;

You are absolutely correct!

This is just one more hiccup caused by the fact that the Dev Team is made up of Computer Programmers; ....Not submarine men.

(One would think that a full time consultant would be employed when writing something as technically specific as a Submarine Sim!!!)

klcarroll

Ducimus_Rapax
11-08-2007, 03:35 PM
In all fairness to the developers, they are passionate about sub sims, and they were given 11 months to complete the game when they had 2.5 years for the previous installment. Im sure if they were left to their own devices, SH4 would have had equal development time, but the higher powers that be (IE, publisher), had other ideas.

NIMITZ1967
11-10-2007, 02:51 AM
We are, after all, dealing with a commercial enterprise.....the bottom line is always going to be economic.

Realjambo
11-10-2007, 03:19 AM
One would think that a full time consultant would be employed when writing something as technically specific as a Submarine Sim!!!

Wasn't Erich Topp a consultant on SHI or SHHII?

I agree kl, surely there would have been a US Submariner from the era available to speak to?