PDA

View Full Version : Drop d on Unnatural Selection

Mully465
10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone was running in to any trouble with the tuning on unnatural selection (MUSE song). I follow the instructions for the drop d and its in tune according to the game. but on the top string is constantly off by a fret it seems. Like the game says its drop d but the software didn't get that message and its off. I did have a bad latency problem that i remedied, and i am definitely not a guitarist. but this is the only song so far that i am this way off on a string. Just wondering if this something that is happening to most people or has been fixed in a patch. I don't have access to internet, so if there was a patch for this i would have to make arrangements to update it.

LOVE the game though, it has shown problems with my guitar. at least 25yr old Fender Strat, i think the jack is messed up, getting some weird feedback occasionally.

JackDeagon
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Check the volume on youre guitar...if its up..don't mash the string..you'll get it..it registers perfect...when you tune make sure its right ON the D line in the tuner...

You'll get it...and I guess if the guitar is showing probs...It could always be the guitar :/

CircusMidget_TS
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
It's possible that some minor tweaking may need to be done. Try using the FAQ that we have, it might prove useful for this type of issue.

360 FAQ
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap.../15458/p/1421%2C2326 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15458/p/1421%2C2326)

PS3 FAQ
http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/ap.../15459/p/1483%2C2327 (http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15459/p/1483%2C2327)

As for the Feedback problem, having the Playstation Move or Kinect can cause this particular issue. Try unplugging those devices and anything else from the system other than the controller and guitar.

Mully465
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
i have turned the guitar down, it's just weird that its only on this song. I'm taking the guitar to the shop wednesday, there is something wrong there, but i'll have to just wait till it gets back and see how that goes.

thanks for the help

muzac989
10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Pretty sure it's your guitar, or your technique. When playing in drop D, the looser string tension makes it easy for sloppy technique to affect the tuning of your low E string. Make sure you're pressing directly behind the fret instead of in the middle of the fret, and not bending the string on accident.

Mistermann.db
10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by muzac989:
Pretty sure it's your guitar, or your technique. When playing in drop D, the looser string tension makes it easy for sloppy technique to affect the tuning of your low E string. Make sure you're pressing directly behind the fret instead of in the middle of the fret, and not bending the string on accident.

Agreed. There's a whole step difference between E and D (2 frets), so the fact that you indicate that it's off by a half step makes me believe it technique or something else with your guitar.

Pancho X1
10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I've had this issue too. I've played with my tone, retuned, played with my pickup configuration, checked my intonation, switched guitars and adjusted my fretting technique. the last one seems to help the most consistently. yeah, after all that, it was just me for the most part! I try to press a bit lighter on that 6th string when it's tuned to D. seems to help a lot! haven't done it enough to say that's the solution for sure but it made a difference. give it a try and let us know.

ziggyxnamvp
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
i highly recommend using a digital tuner when tuning your guitar to make sure all strings are properly in tune not just when switching to/from dropped d but also after playing a song with bends in it.

Klaasv1
10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
First time I played this song I had the same problem.
When prompted to tune to D I lowered it quickly and the circle filled up fast and I moved on.
I had detection problems.
The next time I dropped to D I went past it, and made sure to tune slowly UP to D.
It has worked perfectly ever since.
Try using a real tuner just to be sure your really in tune, I noticed the rs tuner is a little loose.

Mistermann.db
10-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Klaasv1:
... The next time I dropped to D I went past it, and made sure to tune slowly UP to D.

Excellent point. When doing any type of tuning always go "below" (or flat) the note you are intending to tune to and then bring the string "up" to the note. This keeps tension on the tuning pegs and reduces the chance that there's a tiny bit of slack on the string. Most guitar teachers I know teach this method in their fundamentals teachings. Probably a good habit to get into for those just learning...

Mully465
10-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for all the info,

Guitar is in the shop unfortunately, possible loose wire or jack problem.

I did notice that i had a problem with the top string, i would end up laying my finger down and not get a straight to neck push. especially on a fast movement i would bend the string up by accident because i wasn't pushing straight. gonna practice on the acoustic to hopefully remove this. probably bad finger technique like you guys said. thanks for the help and hopefully i get my guitar back very quickly.

SeattleSauve
10-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ziggyxnamvp:
i highly recommend using a digital tuner when tuning your guitar to make sure all strings are properly in tune not just when switching to/from dropped d but also after playing a song with bends in it.

I'd second this because the in-box tuner is pretty lax... For the soundgarden song I used the in-box tuner to drop d, but when I got into the song I realized that it was way off, and obviously notes on the low string were not registering correctly. I tuned it by ear during the song, and since then I've had no problem with the drop d.

etbarrows
10-29-2011, 08:00 AM
I have been off 1/2 step in all drop d tunings on the e string. Seemed inconsistent on unnatual selection so maybe it is my technique. I'll try a tuner before my next attempt also. Thanks or the input.

RonMax
10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
I am having trouble also with the 1st fret and the 3rd on Unnatural Selection. Worst part is doing those parts in the riff accelerator, I could try to reposition over and over and it still wouldn't pick it up on those frets, but it would on the 4th and 5th.
I think there was a point were it works more consistantly and I leveled up, but it has dropped back and won't let me advance.
I am going to try the tips above to retune next time.

ForkInSocket
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm betting most of the issues here can be solved simply with a lighter touch on your E string.

It is really easy to alter the pitch of the E-string at the 1st through 3rd frets by simply squeezing too hard. Part of this is because you may be used to the higher string tension of the E string. You reduce string tension when you drop to D so it takes less finger force to fret and literally bend out of shape. (You can do the same thing with the E string, it just takes more force)

Try this. Go into your tuner and try squashing the 1st fret in drop D, hard. It doesn't sound very good, and your pitch number will climb +4 or more degrees sharp. Probably more if you have high chunky fret-wires (metal strips on your fretboard).

Also, switch around a bit between D and E in the tuner so you can feel the differences in string tension when you fret. Aim for a clean, unmodulating pitch when you fret the note. When you're just playing open strings while tuning, you really can't tell how tense or slack the string is.

Like so many things about guitar, you need a firm but *light* touch when fretting your notes.

JinjaBeard
10-31-2011, 03:13 PM
just a tip regarding the process of tuning a guitar:

when you pluck a string it will hit it's highest pitch right as you pluck, or immediately after, and then slowly die off to a lower pitch.

-when you tune, you want hit the string at about the same level of "attack" you would when you're playing.
-you want the string to be right on the 0 (not plus or minus) immediately after you pluck, not starting above zero and slowly coming down to it after a second or two. You want it right on zero, and then slowly tapering flat.

maybe your problem is you're tuning it a bit sharp or flat either based on your "attacK" while you pluck the string during tuning, or you're tuning it a bit sharp and letting it fall into the tuners range after it resonates a bit.

after ensuring that your tuning procedure is sound, i'd check the intonation. google/youtube how to do that. if your intonation is set properly in E tuning, Drop D should be fine.

otherwise, what the other guys are saying about having a fairly thick (tall) fret and maybe you're fretting too hard causing your notes to go sharp- that could very well be it.

lemmeadem
10-31-2011, 10:24 PM
I think you might need to have your guitar setup by a professional. I had the same problem with drop D asking me to move one fret over. I have an American Deluxe Telecaster, which is a pretty good guitar. Once the guitar was setup properly it worked fine on all of the drop D songs.

DrwhoGalefrie
11-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Yeah, major trouble for me when going to Drop D.

I found that TUNING the string just a bit higher helped a lot, at least for me. Still in tune, but just a tad on the higher end.

I would constantly miss the single note on the E string of the first fret, it would never 'hear' the note. But tuning it a little higher helped a lot.

GunnarSchwede
11-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I have the same thing happening with dropped D songs. I noticed when playing that the indicator on the screen (yellow arrows) pointed to the left all the time. My resolution is, instead to come to the D tuning from the 'bottom' to tune it slowly from the top. This gives the string the extra slack needed to correct this. Also, as I am a noob, sloppy technique plays a role here. Up the volume on the guitar, pluck not as hard and have the finger positioned right behind the fret. Guitar quality may be an issue too.. This works for me.

RonMax
11-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by LP68CA:
I'm betting most of the issues here can be solved simply with a lighter touch on your E string.

Thank you! That fixed it for me, I listened for what you were talking about just before doing the riff leveler on the chorus, tried lighter touch and leveled up right away!

ForkInSocket
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by RonMax86:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LP68CA:

Thank you! That fixed it for me, I listened for what you were talking about just before doing the riff leveler on the chorus, tried lighter touch and leveled up right away! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome. I was doing it too and getting pretty frustrated until I figured it out. Drop D just makes it so easy to bend that string out of pitch on the low frets, especially with tall fret-wires.

JinjaBeard
11-02-2011, 10:37 AM
it might be time for a slightly heavier string gauge on your 6th string.. i find the David Gilmour sig series on my les paul is really nice. that puts a .050 on the sixth string. no problems with drop D so far.

his signature strat strings end up with a .048 on the sixth string. (longer scale length on the strat makes up the tension difference).

something to consider!
if you're running the strings that came with your guitar off the shelf, they're probably pretty light. "too" light is a matter of preference.

Mully465
11-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Just wanted to give an official follow up to my issue. got injured (not playing rocksmith) and couldn't use my right arm for almost two weeks. so all the learn'n i had done already got lots of rust.

I ended up doing my intonation myself because the shop didn't seem to do it. used one of them tuners that clip on the head. messed around with it (it was definitely off) and set the intonation.

went to play unnatural selection (i also relaxed and didn't mash the strings) , and VIOLA no issues, imagine that.

thanks for all the info guys it was definitely helpful, actually made other songs sound better and easier. kinda weird how it was just the one string, all the others were good. My Strat is definitely happy now that i'm playing again

Complex13
11-25-2011, 12:03 AM
You can get one of the clip on tuners like the intellitouch or the snark and then you can visibly see how much pressure you need to get the note you need. Works for bending the strings up to another note too.

raynebc
11-25-2011, 12:32 AM
I just bought one of the Snark tuners, and am pretty impressed with it.

PSN.Buffalony
11-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Mistermann.db:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Klaasv1:
... The next time I dropped to D I went past it, and made sure to tune slowly UP to D.

Excellent point. When doing any type of tuning always go "below" (or flat) the note you are intending to tune to and then bring the string "up" to the note. This keeps tension on the tuning pegs and reduces the chance that there's a tiny bit of slack on the string. Most guitar teachers I know teach this method in their fundamentals teachings. Probably a good habit to get into for those just learning... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Mistermanns tunings technique. I was surprised I didnt see this in the game. atleast dont remember seeing it.

@Mully465
Not sure if it was mentioned here yet as I skimmed the thread ,but it sounds like you might be having an intonation problem. While in the tuner for another string after you tune the Low E to dropped D, recheck the E string at the 12th fret. You should get the same note an Octave higher. If you dont then it's intonation. I think someone else mentioned that putting too much force on the fret can also bend the string. Thats another possibility. If your 12th fret E string checks out, and your not intentionally pressing the string too hard, then try a different gauge E string. D'addario has a nice string tension chart on their site to help get you started.

LordDad
11-26-2011, 12:14 AM
I had the exact same problem with this song. Apparently the string tone is lingering in some sub-frequency of D close enough for it to pass the tuner check, but not match fretted notes on that string in that song.

What I did was tune the string to the phrase of consecutive notes at the 5th position until the notes were hitting. It'll be slightly flat or sharp prior to doing this. Once I did that, I re-tuned the guitar to match that, and the strings still fell within the target pitch the tuner uses.

Tuning the bottom D string against the 5th fret notes in the game resolved it for me.

whjkb
11-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Yeah, I had a time with this song too. I don't like the song either so the combination of my dislike for the song and the drop D tuning, I substituted the song for Jessica and moved on. I'm an old fart and the older songs appeal to me more. Just go in to the event manager and replace the song with one you enjoy. Qualify it, and go do the event. This game is pretty cool and will help with your finger speed. Best of luck!