PDA

View Full Version : Some TDC questions

moggel
03-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I've read most of the "sonarman" questions and I agree that guy sure doesn't contribute much, however...

Even if I do use the sonar manually and designate a contact for the sonar guy to follow I still can't make much use of his (or my manually collected) data in the TDC. I try to void using the periscope as much as possible because (a) don't wanna be seen and (b) it's fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif) so...

I use manual methods like the sonar and some trig to figure out distance and speed (bearing comes from sonar) but then, if I like to pop up the attack scope for a minute or two just to confirm my calcs and identify the target (don't wanna send "meine cameraden"to the seabed) I can't figure out how to combine my data with the ones on the notepad. If I've set the ship type i the notepad and then, say, estimated the range using the "scope method", my other data are nowhere to be seen. Is the no way to enter data onto the notepad without using the procedures provided for the "scope method"?

I was under the impression realism was put in the first room with this sim so this is somewhat surprising to me. Tell me I've missed something here guys... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

moggel
03-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I've read most of the "sonarman" questions and I agree that guy sure doesn't contribute much, however...

Even if I do use the sonar manually and designate a contact for the sonar guy to follow I still can't make much use of his (or my manually collected) data in the TDC. I try to void using the periscope as much as possible because (a) don't wanna be seen and (b) it's fun http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif) so...

I use manual methods like the sonar and some trig to figure out distance and speed (bearing comes from sonar) but then, if I like to pop up the attack scope for a minute or two just to confirm my calcs and identify the target (don't wanna send "meine cameraden"to the seabed) I can't figure out how to combine my data with the ones on the notepad. If I've set the ship type i the notepad and then, say, estimated the range using the "scope method", my other data are nowhere to be seen. Is the no way to enter data onto the notepad without using the procedures provided for the "scope method"?

I was under the impression realism was put in the first room with this sim so this is somewhat surprising to me. Tell me I've missed something here guys... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

Frederf220
03-29-2005, 01:58 PM
The datapad is an automated way to turn the TD Computer dials, but you can turn them manually. Press F5 to get to the TDC map/screen and there they are dials: bug, range, aob, speed.

Be aware that there's a red/green manual input switch for the TDC knobs which is set to auto by default. Just hit it and then you can adjust these knobs manually (notice the lights in the gauges go on/off). The gyro angle is at the bottom right and is a passive display only, the left readout is degrees and the right is tenths of degrees.

You can't just enter specific values on the datapad without using their proceedure, and it gets lost when you stop mousingover the target.

Methods of targeting are (from most auto to most manual):

1. Easy mode TDC with the green triangle.
2. Weapons Officer solution
3. Datapad entry
4. Manual TDC input
5. Doing all the time-based trig and setting the gyroangle*

*Note: if you set long range, 0 knot target, then the bug angle nearly controls the gyroangle. So while you cannot set the gyro directly, one can set it indirectly if you've calculated what gyro angle is required. If you've done that then you're more hardcore than any of us and can figure this out.

Gaucho_13
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
So are you asking if you can enter data in by hand? If so the go to the tdc screen, click the round nob on the right side to enter manual mode, then turn the dials to the heading, range, aob, and speed. Then fire.

The notepad can really only be used one way, and that is letting it calculate everything for you. If you don't want that just flip the switch and keep it in full manual mode. I believe the lights behind the dial turn on when you are in manual mode.

I use this all the time when I want to shoot from the hip. I turn the speed to zero which means the AOB doesn't matter, then you have a simple case of where you are aiming is where it goes

moggel
03-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Thanks alot guys. You've mostly confirmed what I've seen so far but that zero-speed-controls-the-gyro-angle advice was really helpful so, again, thanks!

One other thing I've never tried is the "weapons officer solution" approach. I've been wondering exactly what the weapons officer was really good for because I normally do all his work myself (in fact, I oftendon't bother assigning a WsO before I enter battle). How do I use him? Does he simply do all the work for me so I can just pull the trigger and hope he's competent? That's a bit boring of course but at least it's realistic. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TASKFORCE1x1
04-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Topic moved to Com. Help April 6 2005.