PDA

View Full Version : Future gaming systems

iggadore
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I've been thinking about game consoles lately. Xbox 2 and Nintendo Revolution this year, PS3 next year, but whats coming in 10 or 15 years?

I imagine something that taps into your brain, your head is the console. For example:

You put your Splinter Cell 12 cartridge in a small something that resembles a flash drive, but this something that i'll call The Tap has a small cap that you put on. Once this cap is on your body is rendered immobile and a game menu appears in your head. you think New Game and a loading bar appears. Then you find yourself standing outside a bank. You feel the virtual breeze rustle your shirt and you turn your head, or at least you think you do. The Tap is translating the brainwaves that are telling your muscles to move into binary code that is making the digital you move.

In essence, you end up feeling as if you REALLY ARE a splinter cell, that you really are there infiltrating a bank or stealing a lethal virus. And yes, you would be forced to endure the pain of attempting a split jump if you are not fit.

Just a thought. Tell me what you think or any way to improve it.

iggadore
04-20-2005, 07:36 PM
I've been thinking about game consoles lately. Xbox 2 and Nintendo Revolution this year, PS3 next year, but whats coming in 10 or 15 years?

I imagine something that taps into your brain, your head is the console. For example:

You put your Splinter Cell 12 cartridge in a small something that resembles a flash drive, but this something that i'll call The Tap has a small cap that you put on. Once this cap is on your body is rendered immobile and a game menu appears in your head. you think New Game and a loading bar appears. Then you find yourself standing outside a bank. You feel the virtual breeze rustle your shirt and you turn your head, or at least you think you do. The Tap is translating the brainwaves that are telling your muscles to move into binary code that is making the digital you move.

In essence, you end up feeling as if you REALLY ARE a splinter cell, that you really are there infiltrating a bank or stealing a lethal virus. And yes, you would be forced to endure the pain of attempting a split jump if you are not fit.

Just a thought. Tell me what you think or any way to improve it.

vpc410
04-20-2005, 07:41 PM
I highly doubt we'll be that advanced in 10-15 years. I can just see kids getting injured after snapping your friends neck in versus mode.

Omega_224
04-20-2005, 07:45 PM
And even if we were, who would want to?

I mean, yeah, it'd be awesome to be sneaking around behind somebody, knifing them in the back (or wherever the heck you want to, for that matter), breaking out your shotgun at close range, but...

What happens when you get shot? Do you REALLY want to feel your flesh being ripped apart by machinegun fire, JUST so you can play a game? I think not. Do you really want to experience what it feels like to get blown away by a frag grenade? I didn't think so.

Good idea, but unless they were able to NOT implement the "painfull reality" of it, I wouldn't think of it. Maybe for a sports game or something, or racing, but nothing that had to do with guns, explosions, etc.

iggadore
04-21-2005, 05:52 AM
I figure making bullets feel like a mosquito bite would suffice....

chaos_theory16
04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, iggadore, I've had the same thought as well. You should have certain equipment or guns to purchase with each game. But... the price would raise... big time!

iggadore
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Maybe it could have some type of online subscription, like Xbox live, and if yu have the subscription you can download new weapons or tips for different games with no extra cost.

Desert Hawk
04-22-2005, 04:34 PM
IMO, gaming is about escaping reality, not putting you into another one (one which probably simulates events in the world we live in). So if it got to the stage of virtual reality, i wouldn't use any of those machines. I think its gone far enough (graphic wise) by next generation.

iggadore
04-22-2005, 04:53 PM
True Deserthawk, but IMO when I game, its simply to escape my current life, not reality in general. As long as I'm not stuck sitting around pondering what I got on my math quiz, I'd be perfectly happy feeling as if I'm really assasinating terrorists.

JoNAsOS3
04-23-2005, 02:32 AM
Lol, imagine playing DOOM this way http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

iggadore
04-23-2005, 08:07 AM
I would leave all my lights on all the time and never sleep again...

Raakile91
04-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Well, I personally think I couldnt play any action games anymore. I just can't kill anyone in real life, and the game would feel like real life. Would you be able to shash somebody's throat? I couldn't. Think that you could fell the blood spilling to you hands and your face. After fragging a guy, you would find bodypieces everywhere, from your pants, arms, etc. And that 20 mm sniper. Oh jesus christ! Could you blow somebody's brains out just like that. I would be in a mental hospital for the rest of my life after the first mission.

JoNAsOS3
04-23-2005, 01:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raakile91:
Well, I personally think I couldnt play any action games anymore. I just can't kill anyone in real life, and the game would feel like real life. Would you be able to shash somebody's throat? I couldn't. Think that you could fell the blood spilling to you hands and your face. After fragging a guy, you would find bodypieces everywhere, from your pants, arms, etc. And that 20 mm sniper. Oh jesus christ! Could you blow somebody's brains out just like that. I would be in a mental hospital for the rest of my life after the first mission. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. Games should stay games, not 'dreams' where you can do whatever you want...

Omega_224
04-23-2005, 02:07 PM
Wow. I just play games because they're fun. Not to "escape reality." And yes, the games would be really realistic... maybe too realistic for some games. And the bloody, gory, excessively violent games (which I don't play anyways) would not be on my shelf. But games like SC where you're not supposed to get caught and evade most of the people anyway (supposedly) would be okay.

And a mosquito bite? I would hate to get hit.

JoNAsOS3
04-23-2005, 02:16 PM
And I don't think the human brain has high enough specs to pull this off. Some of the newer ones have better GPUs and a higher amount of RAM, but I doubt these games would look good...

f16cxv
04-23-2005, 04:42 PM
^^^ haha very true...http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

iggadore
04-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Hah.

But back to what Omega said, some 1st person shooters should not be ported into this imaginary system. I doubt the effect would be pleasant on anyone, but it would be good for training soldiers. As for Splinter Cell, do you guys really think they'd make it so graphic? Those montreal designers were completely capable of making intense amounts of blood and guts in all the games but they restrained. Ever notice how the knife is always perfectly clean after slicing throats? Anyway,just because this system would be capable of such realism doesn't mean the designers would implement it. I myself can hardly stand blood and if I were stuck playing splinter cell and one insane animator decided to have the body start bleeding after it gets shot, I'd stop playing.

Raakile91
04-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Phew! there are actually a lot of people who don't want to see total slaugher like SC where Sam is like a hitman enjoying to see his enemies in pain and suffer, shoot their limbs off one by one, hear them screaming in pain, slice their throats and forcing them to eat an armed frag and pushing them over a ledge and laughting while they fall and explode to pieces. Shooting a 20mm bullet through their stomach, filling their bleeding bodies with bullets, rip their heads off with a knife and filling the heads with explosives to make a booby trap. Sam is NOT building his own chaos theory. He's destroying it. He's not a mindless killer. He's a soldier, fighting for freedom, even though committing acts of war when figting for it.

XyZspineZyX
04-25-2005, 12:36 PM
well the idea of 'you feel pain if you screw up' is kinda interesting, Heck it could teach me a few things in halo 7, like 'take cover'.

but there are a few drawbacks:
-People with heart problems or have shell shock from operation desert storm 3
-perpously killing yourself in the game when you find out you cant go anywhere, what would happen if the game designers forgot to put in a restart button?
-power outages while your plaing your brainstation 2
-old people
-increased violence from gunning down 300 virtural civilians on GTA9, and it looked so real
-people with problems telling the real world from the virtural

in reality it couldnt happen, but you could try to make a full body jumpsuit that shocks you when you get hit in a certain area. but as far as uploading it into our brains, thats just fantasy. altough it would be funny to hear someone say "aw man, i cant play Doom 5, my brain keeps freezing up on me".

and from the downloading to our brains there would probably be upgrades to make us super athletic or really smart or something, but really, that would make us more like the 'billion dollar man'. and that would stink, running in slo-mo.....

iggadore
04-27-2005, 03:35 PM
alright, so maybe this is a little further off than i said. But give it 50 years and i bet you that you will see some wierd japanese form of this being manufactored. I would like to actually have something that causes pain where you get shot. Not that I'd enjoy it too much I just think it would cause greater disipline while playing.

WAIT A SECOND!!! I just had another idea, but one thats possibly much sooner done than The Tap.

More like all other virtual reality games just with much better graphics.

look, splinter cell is practically made for it:

The big goggles could be the screen for the virtual reality(except you would have to keep them on the whole time while playing

The suit can have that "virtual pain" idea built in,

As for all his little gadgets, the game makers will need to work something out,

And as for walking/running/jumping, a group of scientists have recently been able to have people make a mouse on a computer screen move left and right after about three hours of trial and error, so it eventually will be possibly to move him with our heads.

And you could switch thermal, night vision and EEV with buttons on the goggles.

tommy_rascal
04-28-2005, 10:19 AM
As much as i agree with most of the stuff you are sayin - there is one thing i dont agree on and that is the virtual pain.

tommy_rascal
04-28-2005, 10:23 AM
The reason is because we buy games for entertainment. Pain IS NOT entertainment. Most of us do not like pain so i think it wouldn't work and people wouldn't buy games with pain with the fear they may hurt themselves - even if it doesnt hurt that much.

Also the other reason we buy games is because we can take that extra risk without any consequences in reality. Think about it: would you have taken that extra jump? would you have run into that guard and stabbed him in the gut? if there was pain involved - probably wouldn't take any risks any more with the frear of hurting ourselves.

Do you see what im saying? ...

Dangerous_388
04-28-2005, 12:23 PM
games are for fun only. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

steviep831
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iggadore:
Once this cap is on your body is rendered immobile and a game menu appears in your head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
First of all, you've got a great imagination. One day, we'll be able to interact more closely with machines and computers, BUT, uh, how would you get out of the game if your body is rendered "immobile?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iggadore:
In essence, you end up feeling as if you REALLY ARE a splinter cell, that you really are there infiltrating a bank or stealing a lethal virus. And yes, you would be forced to endure the pain of attempting a split jump if you are not fit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Secondly, the idea of being connected to a computer or a game, in your example, is that you are lifted out of reality, not bound by your reality. If I'm not in shape then how the heck would I be able to play this game? The computer will be my muscles, not my own. There are very few people in the world that would actually be able to play this game! Ha, you'd have to be SWAT or Delta Force or something.... heck, even Norm MacDonald! But sadly, not me......

Keep thinking of ideas, though. It's people like you that will be the future Einstein's and Ubisofts. Just make sure you think your ideas through.... ad nauseum.... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

steviep831
04-28-2005, 01:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoNAsOS3:
And I don't think the human brain has high enough specs to pull this off. Some of the newer ones have better GPUs and a higher amount of RAM, but I doubt these games would look good... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Haha, Jonas.
I hope you were kidding. Our brains have infinite resolution, infinite fps. There's not a computer "alive" that can out spec the human brain! Though my 6600gt comes close to some peoples.... hehehe.