PDA

View Full Version : Has GRAW sp been patched well?

Six_Gun
03-24-2007, 07:53 PM
OK, I admit I'm a bit out of the loop since sampling the GRAW demo some time ago, which seemed to suffer from a lot of poor console porting. I have read through all the release notes for each patch and was glad to see some AI issues have been addressed but not much if anything in the way of your own character movement. Many, including myself, stated the character movement in the demo was too slow and clumsy when the Ubi rep asked on the UK forum what we wanted in a patch. Even with the mouse at max sensitivity it took at least a couple good swipes across the pad just to turn around.

So, essentially I'd like to know if any of you can tell me how well the squad and enemy AI work now, and if the character movement is improved? Do enemy AI detect you by sound now, or is it still primarily line of sight? There were positive things mentioned as far as squad AI now taking cover, being alert, and not standing in front of you while shooting. I'm hoping they didn't forget the character movement though. Despite the quirks I could definitely see the game had potential even after playing the buggy demo. Thanks, and thanks Ubi if you did patch it well.

GrimlockCW
03-24-2007, 09:20 PM
the AI works pretty much the same as it did during the release time.
Only fully noticeable change is less walking into walls (though still happens) and that about covers it in my experience.

you still need to hand walk the friendly units via the tac map as if playing a tactical strategy game similar to Swat 2, or just execute them prior to moving one if you don't feel like listening to them and their annoying banter.
they can aim a little better though, but they still run out of ammo and constantly shout "reloading!" with no stopping untill you put them out of their misery or send them into the enemies hands and let them do it.

as for not standing in front of you when you shoot... they still do it, and they still push you into enemy LoS without thought.

the enemy are still sure shot gunners with a pistol accuracy of nearly 82% or more over nearly 1 hundred yards right into your skull, and can spot you even easier than they could an elephant stepping on the guy next to them.

Six_Gun
03-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Wow, doesn't sound too good. I was really hoping after reading all the AI fixes the game at $20 would be worth it even if I don't end up playing mp.

What about character movement, is it still as bad as the demo? Did they at least adjust the mouse sensitivity to be more responsive? Hope I didn't totally waste my $20.

I've yet to open the game though so I can probably return it if I want or at least get $20 store credit. It would be nice if patch claims were not just indications of intenton but actual end result.

ColinCJ
03-25-2007, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Six_Gun:
Wow, doesn't sound too good. I was really hoping after reading all the AI fixes the game at $20 would be worth it even if I don't end up playing mp.

What about character movement, is it still as bad as the demo? Did they at least adjust the mouse sensitivity to be more responsive? Hope I didn't totally waste my $20.

I've yet to open the game though so I can probably return it if I want or at least get $20 store credit. It would be nice if patch claims were not just indications of intenton but actual end result.

This link will tel ya whats been patched.
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2791043913/m/8161055315
The US AI do need a lot of help.

But it is a lot of fun.

PCgamerOnly
03-25-2007, 07:30 AM
$20 bucks is about the right price for the game with the 1.35 patch, the movement is still slow, +1 on what grimlock said but SP is playable only if you have a very good rig, otherwise, the slow movement and the NO-Optimization will cause major lag and 15 to 20 fps during gameplay and even less on a firefight.

Wait, they did fix the problem witht the sights while you were prone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Funny thing is that sometimes while peeking around corners, one of the enemy AI would kill me by just turning to me, even if his pistol or weapon was still pointing at the ground http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/354.gif... is funny now, it wasn't before!

I don't know how busy their MP servers are, you may want to check that up before you throw 20 bucks aways as there are other games worth that much with better MP play.

Six_Gun
03-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Well, I decided to open it up and give it a go despite numerous GRAW bashing posts I've read here. I was trying to keep in mind that many whom are satisfied with a game are busy playing it, rather than taking the time to register on a forum and rave about it. I was also noting that it's mostly repeat posts from a few whom just can't forgive what they consider to be inexcusable glitches in the game whom are implying the sp isn't worth the time. Granted, I'm not exactly a Ubi fanboy myself, but none the less I reserve judgment until I've experienced at least something more than a demo.

So far I feel the game is lots of fun, very challenging and the $20 I paid was well worth it even if I only play sp. I do notice some improvements in the patching though ANY squad AI game is going to have it's quirks. I've been mostly letting the AI follow me rather than issuing commands this 1st time through. I'd rather know where the enemy AI placements are first then do that the 2nd run through. Ambushing the enemy convoy in VIP2 is Down was a thrill. My squad handled it extrememly well as I quickly had them follow me to a second story rooftop crouched behind it's edge wall.

So far it's gone pretty well, only a few times did I have to backtrack and help a stuck AI. It really depends on the route you take and what pace you go. Flanking out of site is a must to keep them from engaging and/or getting killed, though they quite often fend for themselves well even when caught off guard and in a group. I'm on Mayday! Mayday! right now and I must admit doing a solo mission is a nice change of pace. The AI have actually saved my butt on a few occasions though and Allen has been top marksman a couple times to my embarrassment.

I feel you have to devote more patience and use compromises in how you play any squad AI game, especially one with commands. It's often going to be necessary for instance to let your squad follow you only so far, have them stop out of site, then scout onward yourself. Despite at first testing their follow habits without stopping them though they really didn't get in front of me or bump into me as much as in the demo. It was mostly if I was stepping dangerously and unknowingly into the enemy's line of fire.

For the most part where the AI seems to fall apart is if you take a dangerous and illogical route yourself while they're following, or don't send them to a sensible position using a safe route. I HAVE seen improvement over the demo when setting points for them to follow far enough to let them decide their own path though, even when going back to walk through steps with one whom got stuck and wouldn't follow. He took a safer, longer route in the dark behind a fence rather than coming straight to me.

Other games like Far Cry have been mentioned by some whom talk of examples of games that are made much better without all the bugs. Truth be told, had they tried to make Far Cry a game with squad AI and commands it would have suffered similar problems. Doing such a thing and pulling it off without a hitch is very difficult if not impossible.

Look at ANY squad AI Far Cry map or mod made even by the most skilled at it and you'll see they have their quirks too, and that's without any commands. Even COD2 does not use commands and disguises many quirks in the squad AI via the replacement of dying troops with spawning ones. They DO often get in your way too and will linger there, but it's still a great game.

BTW guys, aside from struggling to find the way to equip special weapons, mostly due to the window pane in the menu not indicating it's for that, I have forgotten how to enable the personal view cam for any given troop. I remember the demo had this feature and one of the objectives in the training for the retail version seemed to indicate that but I've been going without it. Can anyone tell me how it's done? Thanks, back to the stealth and nightvision of Mayday! Mayday! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

PCgamerOnly
03-27-2007, 11:33 AM
I have forgotten how to enable the personal view cam for any given troop.Can anyone tell me how it's done? You just have to highlight the AI teammate you want to see from, everything is wireframed so you might have a hard time telling where you are but, have fun with that.

Thanks, back to the stealth and nightvision of Mayday! Mayday! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Yep, this is where you will have the most fun with the Enemy AI blowing your head off from 100 yrds out with the pistol, al night and w/o Night Vision Googles http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Six_Gun
03-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Thanks, but I did find it somewhere in my reading before getting back to this post, though I'm not using it much yet. I'm actually having more fun using the drone to do surveilance for me. I wasn't even aware that it puts a target indicator on everyone it sees.

I didn't have the experience you speak of in Mayday! Mayday!. All were carrying rifles and their eyesight and shooting cababilites seemed reasonable except for maybe them seeing me rather quickly without nightvision.

There's been quite a difference of AI claims on both sides of the argument from what I've read, much like you see on the Far Cry forum at times. I wonder if what one person on the Far Cry forum speculated may apply to this game as well. He thought perhaps the AI works better or worse depending on your system spec and in game settings.

Granted, the AI isn't perfect, but I've yet to see AI in any game that is. I have not experienced the level of ineffectiveness some have mentioned though.

I'm on the Disable Guardrail IX objective right now, perhaps one of the toughest in the game so far. I'm going to have to go back to the previous checkpoint and re-equip at the drop point though, the weapons I'm carrying aren't sufficient.

One thing that bothers me is most of the drop point checkpoints load AFTER the weapon loadout is selected. I still think this game is good though, even with the quirks. There will no doubt be many more play throughs for me until I master the hardest difficulty level with no target indicators.

CloudWOmega
03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
You just have to highlight the AI teammate you want to see from, everything is wireframed so you might have a hard time telling where you are but, have fun with that.
or he could press G to see it fullscreen!.. or was it H..... something along that line atleast, its the best with drone tho becaus eit gives you a better headup on were they are, their position, and all out their cover.