PDA

View Full Version : Finally, Quicksave and Quickload fix.

menschie
10-27-2004, 09:22 PM
Okay, I'm not the most competitive gamer--I admit that. Not having the save option was seriously making this game way too arduous--I just wasn't able to enjoy it like others. Having to type ~, \save_game <filename> all the time was a pain in the **** too. so, here is the solution that I came up with...

1. find the "game.cfg" file in the Far Cry
2. Directory. Use Notepad or a simple text editor to apply this edit...
3. Add these 2 lines (on separate lines):
Input:BindCommandToKey("\\save_game quicksave","F5",1);
Input:BindCommandToKey("\\load_game quicksave","F8",1);
(might as well put them at the bottom with the other BindCommandToKey commands)
4. save the file
5. now right click on the file and check "read only", as the game will want to overwrite it the next time you start up.

Voila.. F5 is now quicksave, and F8 is now quickload. if you ever want to change any of the keyboard control for the game you will have to uncheck "read only" and let the game write to the file. At that time your changes will also be lost. Also note that the game will stutter upon startup, trying to write to the this file. After failing a few times (for a couple seconds) it will just take you straight into the game with no problems.

This is a super easy solution that will alow you to quicksave and quickload like any other game, and way better than the geigh position save and load that you get in developer mode.

Hope this helps someone like it's helped me. I've been all over boards and groups and haven't seen anyone else post this solution yet.

KTIMEKILLER
10-27-2004, 09:56 PM
hm.. do you need to put a / also when your entering cheat codes? ive had problems getting codes in

chrysellis
10-29-2004, 08:22 AM
I just want to thank you for supplying this information. The fix is easy, and, so far, seems to work great.

Now I have the freedom to pick the game up and play if I only have a half hour or so, and not worry if I'm going to make it to the next checkpoint in time. I'm thrilled!!!

Lane

gninrael
10-29-2004, 07:21 PM
I thought that quick save was going to be part of this patch.I guess I was wrong.Thank you for this information.

stilup
10-31-2004, 09:14 AM
can't get quick save to work in saved read only game cfg file using 1.3 patch

stilup
10-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Got it!
edited all three game cfg files
found 2 more game.cfg files and edited all
in Profiles/Player/default game.cfg and also in Profiles/Player/default/ game.cfg loaded with F2 to save and F8 to load and also conviently saves as(last check point) to load. Also in properties set all three to Read only.
Works great!
Yes, Finally have a quick save.

Head__Case
11-01-2004, 05:58 AM
In the readme file for version 1.3, under Current changes: on page 4, it says

"Added quicksave support for single player (still in progress).

What did he say??? Did they add it or not? If so, are the techniques noted above the ONLY way? seems like Ubi-Soft doesn't really care about adding this feature. I get so frustrated playing the same section 10 times before I can get to the next save point.

gagetteer
11-01-2004, 03:52 PM
I have tried the entries as suggested.. including the suggestion to enter in three places.. still doesn't work. Have restarted computer.. still doesn't work.
Any other suggestions?

stilup
11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Did you right click the file and in properties check mark to have read only? It will be overwritten buy the game if you don't.
(Double check you spelling and codes.)
Also I don't think it would matter but I also changed SkipCutScene from F7 to F6.
It does work....