PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Your background. From what to Rocksmith?

AlexLifeson
10-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Here is a poll to see where everyone has come to enjoy Rocksmith as far as your experience in guitar/game background:

1) I came from playing Rock Band 3 Pro Mode with the Fender Squier real MIDI guitar controller and now trying Rocksmith with a real guitar.

2) Im coming over from the "gaming plastic guitar only game world" (RB/GH) but never played a real guitar before I tried Rocksmith. (RB3 Mustang owners would fall in this category as well since its not really a real guitar / still just buttons).

3) I have tried playing a real guitar before but just for fun/hobby. Never seriously or didnt put enough time and effort into it.

4) I am an intermediate real guitar player.

5) I am an experience/advanced real guitar player.

6) I am brand new at real guitar. Never touched one before Rocksmith

7) Other... explain

Very interested to see where we all fall in place

For me : I'm a #3 mainly and also a #1 but haven't played the Squier that much.

ZumaRocks
10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
#4 - I'm 53, been playing since my teens, but no lessons, just books, internet and jamming with friends. Sometimes I'll play every day for a month, sometimes I won't pick up a guitar for 3 months.

Really enjoying Rocksmith, having fun and looking forward to playing all the time.

Mr.Meist
10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
#5 - Been playing every day for years, and i love what rocksmith is doing.

I just need to make sure i keep up my improvising and memorization as much as i play the game haha.

i dont want it turning me into some robot.

Tiran_Kenja
10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Option 1 here. Has been playing RB3 pro on drums and then I finally got hold of the Fender this summer, so I started playing around with that.

About the same time I heard about Rocksmith. So it was always sort of the goal to also try that out just to see if it could actually work.

Turns out that while there are some major frustration with Rocksmith detecting wrong notes from time to time (got some real issues with fret 1 if I play it too hard. Especially on low E).

So far it seems Rocksmith is the better training tool though. As it allows for more technique that just does not come though the MIDI interface for RB3 to use (like muting and pitching).

Kitlerc
10-25-2011, 05:49 AM
I mostly come from just the plastic guitar world. I spent maybe a week playing RB3 Pro before I hit a brick wall.

feedrail
10-25-2011, 06:25 AM
4)I have been playing on and off since 1980. I didn't realize that I have a bad habit of watching my fingers on the fretboard while playing this will kill you in this game, when I overcome this, I should be in good shape, I am usually one fret off when not looking. Love the game, but the navigation and load screens are annoying. Looking forward to DLC.

LennonVC
10-25-2011, 06:49 AM
4) I have played guitar since 1994, but never really focused on it as my main hobby. Also just noodled around and played a few covers with a band for a few months.

Mistermann.db
10-25-2011, 07:17 AM
3.5 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

I have been playing for 2 years and consider myself beyond beginner, but too humble to say intermediate. I take formal lessons each week, so I'd say I am serious.

Played Rock Band (and loved it), but never graduated to Pro guitar because I couldn't get over the "gimacky" feel to it. Thought about buying the squire, but just couldn't justify a $300 game controller (I'd never use it outside the game as I have other guitars).

Although not without its warts, RS has upped the expectation for music games. Don't get me wrong, I feel there's still a place for Rock Band from a social/party perspective, I am using this more as an additional training device.

Trey_Trey
10-25-2011, 07:29 AM
6)Sort of.....I'm new, but I started about a month ago and ran into this.

Pancho X1
10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm a 3/7

Took a class at school in 7th grade
Took lessons from a music shop in 12th grade
Took lessons from my boss when I was 21
Took lessons from a friend when I was 35
Took lessons from another friend when I was 37
Never got past beginner level any of those times
Started playing bass and taking lessons around age 39. That kinda stuck. I would consider myself an intermediate, barely, bass player. I play at church and with another music ministry group. Play or practice 3 times a week. People that hear me play seem to think I am much better than I think I am. The leader of the other ministry group says I'm a good player but need refining. Got soooo excited the first time I heard about Rocksmith and got even more excited hearing all the positive preview news over the last few months. I hope that I can become an adequate guitarist and a better bass player by "playing" Rocksmith in addition to the other playing I do.

Kroger
10-25-2011, 11:51 AM
1 & 4.. Getting the Squier and playing RB3 Pro Mode got me into Guitar, but I ditched that and have since learned on Electric/Acoustic the old fashioned way I suppose.

Klaasv1
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
#3.5?
been playing real guitar for 20 years, still amateur though.
played gh/rb pro squier, liked it.
love rocksmith.

mdburch
10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
1)...got the RB3 Squier in Feb and been playing with that...now Rocksmith. Can't recommend enough taking your guitar and getting it "setup" by an experienced tech. Makes all the difference in the world!

Levande
10-25-2011, 07:46 PM

Playing guitar was always one of those skills that I thought would be pretty cool to learn, yet never wanted to invest a lot of money in on the off-chance I wouldn't enjoy/grow bored of it.

Rocksmith-God
10-25-2011, 07:51 PM
#4 - Been playing for 3-4 years. Was a drummer in my younger years.

ReplicaX
10-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Played Sax for 12yrs and piano on and off. After breaking my jaw overseas and nerve damage in my lower jaw its extremely hard to play a reed instrument now.

Always wanted to learn guitar. Growing up listening to Randy Rhoads, Tony Iommi and Slash had a big influence as well.

BubbaMc
10-25-2011, 09:29 PM
#5. Professional guitar teacher and transcriber.

Ubi - if you're looking for a transcriber, I'm your man http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sprusegoose
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
#3 Been playing around for years, really just a riff junky. I could play a few songs, to the point that my wife would throw a pillow at me. I would put it down for a year or two, and just about forget everything I learned.

APU620
10-26-2011, 09:10 PM
4 years of biweekly lessons for guitar by a prof jazz musician
1/2 year of weekly lessons for bass by Berklee grad.

I quit for about a year, but Rocksmith has really gotten me back in it. Getting that purple Master bar on a song is such an awesome feeling.

AdamFOX44
10-26-2011, 10:18 PM
#3 ..

BrazBirdMan
10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Praise & Worship Sunday mornings and a closet Bluesman.

stimike
10-27-2011, 08:49 AM
7: Picked up my first guitar about 7 years ago or so, was an Epiphone starter pack. I was so excited I took off work for two days. Put in the instructional DVD and almost fell asleep. It sat in my closet so long it warped a bit. Gave it to a friend and picked up a Music Man AX40 (5 years ago). Tried yet again to learn and fell flat on my face. Took a bit better care of this one though and it didnt warp. Picked it up again about 3 weeks ago after a friend got me back into guitar, and started doing video lessons on Youtube from Marty Schwartz, first teacher to really get my attention and I learned a lot from him in a short time. Then, while looking up tabs, I came across Rocksmith and that was that. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Goooner1
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
#1 Sort of.

The Mustang should be 1.5, even though it's not actually a real guitar, it's not exactly just the plastic thing like the 5 button ones. Although it's got buttons on the neck rather than strings, there's still an individual button for each and every sting on each and every fret position, so you play it exactly the same as a real guitar, you're just pressing down on a button, rather than a string.

I'd never picked up a guitar in my life, then I got RB3 and the Mustang rather than the Squier, which got me interested. 6 months later, I bought a guitar for my 46th birthday in April and I've been taking fortnightly lessons ever since.

Loving Rocksmith so far.

seab3
10-27-2011, 08:52 AM
2 and 3 for me.
I took acoustic lessons about 10 years ago. I broke my left wrist after about 11 months of lessons and never got back into it again.
Until now...

gratefuldave68
10-27-2011, 04:08 PM
#3.

ive been tinkering and messing with guitars for 25+ years... never could play any songs never had the patience to really "learn" how to play it right...

for me, rocksmith is challenging but in a fun way. its very satisfying for me to go from 40% accuracy to 80%...

give me a reason to break my gibson LP studio out of the case http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

norcalcraig
10-27-2011, 05:55 PM
#4 for me

I'm 43 and own three guitars. Currently using a Fender Strat Squire to play Rocksmith. Have played for 2 years with no formal lessons except from internet. Can read TAB and CHORDS and know about 5 songs. Currently learning "Here Comes the Sun." Rocksmith has its problems but when I can pick up my acoustic and play "Can't Get No Satisfaction" in both arrangements, I'm a happy man.

TheDeveloperDad
10-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Dabbler in acoustic mostly, but got excited once the game's features became public... Was a sax player in high school (ages ago) but no formal guitar training.

I traded my PSP for an Epiphone Special II (her name is Ebony) and got the game today. Love it. My 10th wedding anniversary is coming up and if I can use this as a learning tool, I'd like to serenade my wife.

I'm hoping the serenade is worth a years worth of [insert your imagination here]

kingsbolt1
10-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't really want to admit it but I am turning 60 next month and never picked up a guitar. I haven't stop playing this since Oct 19. Someone help me stop !! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kariodude
10-28-2011, 01:30 PM
#2 definitely. I would be a #1 but RB3 Pro mode is A-expensive and B-confusing.

Geowil
10-29-2011, 01:42 AM
#1 for me. Picked up a Squier at launch (the guitar's launch) and have been playing ever since. Stuck at medium for the most part at the moment because I cannot quite get my fingers to move from chord to chord yet, been able to eek by on some hard level songs though.

Before that I had maybe all of 5 minutes guitar experience with jacking around with my High School band's jazz bass 6 years ago.

I just literally heard about RockSmith the other night watching Ghost Hunters on SciFi and checked it out. Not buying this to replace RB3 but rather to supplement it.

Getting a guitar that can sustain is a plus too (probably getting a Epi LP 100 soon (259 most places right now) then either picking up RS for myself at x-mas or get someone to get it for me.

Sounds like an innovative concept, being able to use any guitar at all definitely is. Not sure if I will get the PS3 or PC version yet though.

ca_grover
10-29-2011, 02:20 AM
#2 and #3 for me. I've owned a guitar for about 9 years. Tried to learn on my own (books mostly), and took a couple of lessons. But never really had the time to do it right. Then RockBand 2 and 3 came out and I had fun playing there, though I knew it wasn't the same at all. I had high hopes for the Pro guitar, but balked at paying $200+ for a plastic toy. I've learned more guitar in the past couple of weeks than I have since I got the guitar. I think it helps that I do know some of the theory - finger positions, strum patterns, some chords, etc. But having a measurable goal of matching the song - audibly as well as visually - is making a huge difference for me.

serkantur
10-29-2011, 02:52 AM
This is a good topic and deserves a real poll. Just click new and then poll...I am #3 by the way.

Brothertruck
10-29-2011, 05:42 AM
I've been playinjg for 2 years now I guess I would say i've somewhat a semi intermediate guitarist.

It was actually some of rock band but mostly Guitar about 5 years ago that played a part in inspiring me to consider playing the real thing.

I am also taking weekly lessons and I usually try to practice at least 1 hour a day and if not more .

Complex13
10-29-2011, 06:14 AM
#4 - Been playing on again off again since the late 80s. Every time I hear a sweet guitar riff it repeats in my head all day long and I have to drag the guitar out and try to play it.

I refused to play any of the guitar hero games because, in my mind, they were just a waste of time when I could just play real guitar. I figured, if you want to meet real chicks, learn to play on a real guitar. Otherwise you are just sitting around by yourself clicking plastic buttons http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif Can't crow til I'm out of the woods http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

JulesLechter
10-29-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm a mix of 1 and 3. Been holding and plucking on a guitar for about 16 years. Had been trying to learn on my own, listening to anything with guitar for inspiration and new sounds. Had thought of taking lessons but didn't follow through. I like the other games for goofing around with my friends but didn't push myself with the Squier, mainly because I didn't like the interface. Rocksmith is definitely helping me enjoy what I set out to do years ago, learn and enjoy guitar much more.

Hab_Fan
10-29-2011, 11:03 PM
I procrastinated for over 20 years thinking I was too old to learn to play guitar. Bought Rockband 2 about 4 years ago for the Xbox and played it non stop for about 2 years. Downloaded SRV Double Trouble album DLC one day and after playing it on RB2 decided I had to learn real guitar and stop wasting my time on the plastic. 2 years ago after I turned 41 I bought my Godin LG Signature and never touched the Xbox again until I purchased Rocksmith. I think the game is great and a good tool for learning the guitar but shouldn't be your only tool. Oh, I also took lessons during the two years I've been playing and only stopped those recently.

rednhax
10-30-2011, 01:17 PM
5) I am an experience/advanced real guitar player.

Started playing in the mid 80s, spent lots of time in amateur bands, but been playing on and off with the computer for the last 10 years.

Never played RB or GH and never will, spent too much money on real music gear to waste time on plastic ones.

lazzarone75
10-30-2011, 02:06 PM

I messed around with playing Guitar in College.....

Now at 36yrs Old I take formal Guitar Lessons(1Year Now)...

franckonfire
10-30-2011, 05:33 PM
4-5 . I'm playing for 6 years now, no lessons, I always learned on my own and by watching video of people playing . I'm a fast learner and it helped me growing my skills. I started to have bass lessons because of my school and and at the same time began to have curiosity in the guitar world and after a week or two of playing bass I bought my first electric guitar ( ibanez grg170DX , its the one I play the game with) . rescently I joined a death-core band as a bassist.

really nice game but most of the songs are booring and absolutely not my style. hoping for some metalhead DLC :P

Barcham
10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
I guess I'm a number 3. I used to play many years ago and last year at the age of 53, I got the urge to get back into it. In the past year I've picked up three guitars, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, an Epi Vintage Faded SG and an Epi Les Paul Ultra II, along with a Peavey Vypyr and a Roland Micro Cube. While I've been improving on my own, I don't have the time for formal lessons and it's hard to get myself to practice at times. When Rocksmith came along I waited impatiently for it to hit the stores and picked it up on the first day of release. This is exactly what I've been waiting for to jump start my playing.

kckiper16206
10-30-2011, 09:16 PM
3) I have tried playing a real guitar before but just for fun/hobby. Never seriously or didnt put enough time and effort into it.

JinjaBeard
10-31-2011, 02:13 PM
i'm 30, been playing real guitar for about 15 years "casually". took a year or two worth of lessons when i first started. I'd say i'm advanced but not SUPER advanced. it takes me quite a bit of practice, time, and effort to get a solo close to note for note where others seem to be able to do it faster. Rockband and Guitar hero i would play casually, always on hard or expert except for the few ridiculous songs on each disc (Dragonforce, etc).

i'm into the 100k range on rocksmith after a bit of time with the leveller on the songs i've done so far. loving this game. very motivational!

Solid_Hesco
10-31-2011, 06:21 PM
I am a 3.5... started playing the ukulele after I saw this guy playing in Hawaii... then switched to playing Spanish Songs on a Classical Guitar for about two years now... love it!

stangace20
10-31-2011, 07:41 PM
1) and I was on the fence for a while. I couldn't find any straight forward comparisons. So I basically took a leap of faith and bought it.

It's a definite improvement on RB3's pro mode tutorials but I'm a bit disappointed w/ the song selection (since I'm more into classic rock/heavy metal) and the fact that there is no DLC anywhere.