PDA

View Full Version : Flogging the Alive 6800

Jnathus
07-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I would've bumped my topic, but it's archived now.

I have recently built a PC much like my old machine, using some older tech on new standards (i.e. AMD Athlon 64 on Socket 939 w/PCI express and a GeForce 6800 GT video card to match). My old topic was "freezy water," and someone posted a response to it that said that the driver Forceware 71.84 fixed the problem. I'm using 71.89 and the problem remains. I can't imagine that 71.84 would be much better. The newest driver (77.72) has severe video playback issues (not related specifically to URU), so I won't use that one.

My question is . . .HAS ANYONE MANAGED TO SORT OUT THE GEFORCE 6-SERIES WATER FREEZING ISSUE???

At this point I don't have the patience to really see how bad the issue gets.. I just went to the world where it happens (Eder Gira), and noticed performance became untolerably / unplayably laggy when in view of the water and I stopped there.

So . . anyone???

Jnathus
07-09-2005, 06:03 PM
I would've bumped my topic, but it's archived now.

I have recently built a PC much like my old machine, using some older tech on new standards (i.e. AMD Athlon 64 on Socket 939 w/PCI express and a GeForce 6800 GT video card to match). My old topic was "freezy water," and someone posted a response to it that said that the driver Forceware 71.84 fixed the problem. I'm using 71.89 and the problem remains. I can't imagine that 71.84 would be much better. The newest driver (77.72) has severe video playback issues (not related specifically to URU), so I won't use that one.

My question is . . .HAS ANYONE MANAGED TO SORT OUT THE GEFORCE 6-SERIES WATER FREEZING ISSUE???

At this point I don't have the patience to really see how bad the issue gets.. I just went to the world where it happens (Eder Gira), and noticed performance became untolerably / unplayably laggy when in view of the water and I stopped there.

So . . anyone???

Kestryll
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Sometimes you do have to go backwards in order to go forwards...

Try the 71.84

Jnathus
07-10-2005, 09:03 AM
I did it. I went down to the 71.84. Well.. IT WORKS!!! Amazing stuff. I was just actually going to accept that I could only play URU on my laptop (that has a Radeon 9800 video card in it). Thanks Kestryll, for the little boot to kick me out of my reticence.

Maybe it should be posted and/or noted somewhere that if you're using a 6-series GeForce GPU (which covers the 6600 on up to the 6800 Ultra), the Forceware 71.84 is the one KNOWN driver that will work.

I know the 71.89 driver doesn't work, and given the video playback issues in the 77.72, I didn't really test that one in any games, so I can't assume it won't. .

One note of importance.. Nvidia has an "Anistropic mip filter optimization" that you'll want / need to disable in the Nvidia Performance and Quality Settings under the -Global driver settings option if you intend to run URU with Anistropic Filtering (which I'd assume you would if you have a 6600 GT or better . .. the payoff in image quality is well worth it). If you leave that option on.. there is this garish line that travels just ahead of your character as you move.. it's the division between the high resolution texture you're standing on and the lower resolution texture devoted to more distant scenes.

I also favor forcing Vsync in URU because it smooths out all the animations . . eliminating shearing due to a lack of synch with the display's refresh rate.

Heimdall_G
07-10-2005, 09:43 AM
See Uru: Installing Video Drivers With Win XP (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=524109302&m=539102665).

Jnathus
08-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Just a minor update for those that are concerned.. Nvidia Forceware 77.77 (released 08/11) seems to work perfectly with URU on my GeForce 6800 GT, which would suggest all GeForce 6 series video cards. One of the two places I noticed the lockup problem was in Eder Gira near the water and now there's not even a hiccup there. I'll be testing Ahnonay sometime in the near future to see if the problem is still there, but I'm optimistic. It's nice to be able to update to the latest driver. :-)

There were a few issues (not specifically related to URU) with the 77.72 driver, and this new release seems to have fixed them as well.

Jnathus
08-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Ok, I verified it. Not a single lockup in Eder Gira or Ahnonay. I have assumed that the lockups had something to do with the water, but whatever the reason, my 6-Series GeForce card combined with the Forceware 77.77 driver has no lockup problems in those trouble spots in URU (which was my ONLY complaint with this card lately).