PDA

View Full Version : Game cannot start!

fkid
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Chessmaster XI simply won't run for me. I always get the following error message box after the intro movies/splash image comes up:

There was an error while trying to Initialize the Game.

I've tried multiple reinstallations now. With the original 1.0 version or the 1.1 patch. Manually updating with the patch or using the auto-update feature. I tried modifying the main cm.ini file (various settings), even deleting it altogether. Always the same persistent error comes up.

I'm guessing it has to do with some .dll file or something like that, but without a crash .log or any other information, I can't figure this out for the life of me. Oh, and I've tried with both the DVD in and out.

I've looked all over for someone way to fix this error and have had no luck. So, I'm hoping I'll have some after I post on this official forum.

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

fkid
11-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Chessmaster XI simply won't run for me. I always get the following error message box after the intro movies/splash image comes up:

There was an error while trying to Initialize the Game.

I've tried multiple reinstallations now. With the original 1.0 version or the 1.1 patch. Manually updating with the patch or using the auto-update feature. I tried modifying the main cm.ini file (various settings), even deleting it altogether. Always the same persistent error comes up.

I'm guessing it has to do with some .dll file or something like that, but without a crash .log or any other information, I can't figure this out for the life of me. Oh, and I've tried with both the DVD in and out.

I've looked all over for someone way to fix this error and have had no luck. So, I'm hoping I'll have some after I post on this official forum.

Thank you for your time and help in advance.

Ionut11
11-09-2007, 03:08 AM
Hello, fkid!

Please check your video card settings. It seems that your video card does not support Direct3D Acceleration, or this has been disabled.

You can check this setting in the "dxdiag" utility.(Start->Run-> type "dxdiag" in this edit box, OK. The DirectX Diagnostic Tool should start.
In the Display tab, check your DirectX Features.
The following settings should be enabled:
DirectDraw Acceleration,
Direct3D Acceleration.

You can play other 3D games?

If this doesn't work, please post a reply with you video card description.

fkid
11-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I figured out my problem.

I had a special program on called D3DOverrider. It is used to force VSync and Triple Buffering on many game application executables. Turns out it makes Chessmaster XI not start and give out that error.

Sadly, now that I've fixed this error. I still can't play because the new The King chess engine grinds my system to a halt by killing my older single-core Athlon 64 3800+ CPU. Too bad! I'll have to stick with Chessmaster 10 until I get a new CPU.

UPDATE: Another problem fixed. For anybody experiencing freezing or tremendous slow-downs during offline games and you're using a single-core CPU like the AMD Athlon 64 3800+, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you turn OFF the Post-Game Analysis feature in the Engine options. It is the biggest CPU killer feature for older single-core CPUs. And of course, using any Mentor features may degrade performance as well. Mentor Lines for example crashes the game for me after the first move. Fortunately, I can still play without any Advice etc. Looks like you need a more modern CPU to have the most powerful features available.

TyfoonTurk
11-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I am experiencing the same problem.

I've tried re-installing the game, but it still gives this error.
Also, the patch brings no difference.

My videocard is an ATI Radeon 9600 258 mb with an AMD Athlon 2800.

TyfoonTurk
11-13-2007, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TyfoonTurk:
I am experiencing the same problem.

I've tried re-installing the game, but it still gives this error.
Also, the patch brings no difference.

My videocard is an ATI Radeon 9600 256 mb with an AMD Athlon 2800.

Direct3D and DirectDraw Accelaration are enabled </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alexander_066
11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">D3DOverrider </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
D3DOverrider makes it defenetly...ive got the same problem...tnx

taraboste
11-21-2007, 02:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fkid:
I figured out my problem.

I had a special program on called D3DOverrider. It is used to force VSync and Triple Buffering on many game application executables. Turns out it makes Chessmaster XI not start and give out that error.

Sadly, now that I've fixed this error. I still can't play because the new The King chess engine grinds my system to a halt by killing my older single-core Athlon 64 3800+ CPU. Too bad! I'll have to stick with Chessmaster 10 until I get a new CPU.

UPDATE: Another problem fixed. For anybody experiencing freezing or tremendous slow-downs during offline games and you're using a single-core CPU like the AMD Athlon 64 3800+, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you turn OFF the Post-Game Analysis feature in the Engine options. It is the biggest CPU killer feature for older single-core CPUs. And of course, using any Mentor features may degrade performance as well. Mentor Lines for example crashes the game for me after the first move. Fortunately, I can still play without any Advice etc. Looks like you need a more modern CPU to have the most powerful features available. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please read the readme file about the minimal configuration. Your single core processor is good enough and will work fine.

buck442
02-16-2008, 02:39 AM
Hi,
I am unable to start Chessmaster XI on my computer.
I only get "there was en error when trying to initialize the game".
My GPU is embedded in my motherboard. It's a quite old one, but it works perfectly with Chessmaster Challenge.
Dxdiag gives:
82815 Graphics controller
32.0 MB of memory
The DirectFraw and Direct3D tests are ok.
Do I have to understand that Chessmaster XI will never work with my PC?
Thanks for your help

KHollister
02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by buck442:
Hi,
I am unable to start Chessmaster XI on my computer.
I only get "there was en error when trying to initialize the game".
My GPU is embedded in my motherboard. It's a quite old one, but it works perfectly with Chessmaster Challenge.
Dxdiag gives:
82815 Graphics controller
32.0 MB of memory
The DirectFraw and Direct3D tests are ok.
Do I have to understand that Chessmaster XI will never work with my PC?
Thanks for your help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you have D3DOverrider, that is definitely your problem.

However, if you have only 32 MB of RAM, then your computer doesn't meet the minimum System Requirements (http://chessmaster.us.ubi.com/xi/pcFeatures.php), which means if you do get it running, your performance will be absolutely horrid...

buck442
02-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Hi,
Thanks for your help.
I don't have D3DOverrider on my system.
My PC has 512 MB of RAM, 32 MB is only the Video Card memory.

Basically, I'm only interested in 2D play and in the post-game analysis.

It's strange, Chessmaster Challenge works perfectly on this PC...

KHollister
02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
In this case, I would contact Ubisoft Technical Support (http://support.ubi.com).

BTOG46
02-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Apart from not being one of the graphics chips supported by the game, the Intel 82815 Graphics controller is only partially Dx9 compliant, it's not really meant as a gaming GPU and can't cope with games that must have full Dx 9 hardware compliance.

RandomMan
02-22-2008, 12:46 PM
I got stuck on this for a while, but the solution is so simple you wont think of it.
You just need to go Display Properties - Settings - color quality and change that from high 24bit to medium 16bit and that is that.
The game will initialize now.

KHollister
02-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the information!

I have updated the FAQ to reflect this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buck442
03-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Hi RandomMan,
&lt;applause&gt;
You're great, it works perfectly!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your help!
&lt;\applause&gt;
Buck