PDA

View Full Version : Error installing the game!

kozzmozz1981
09-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey,

I bought two copies in the store, when i came home both had the same CRC error. google learned me it was the Cd's and not some hardware issue or software.
-went back and got two new copies-
both installed well and the problem seemed ok.
my mate , installed it on his pc and had a error :

CRC error: The file c:\program files\ubisoft\thesettlers-riseof..\base\shrlgfx0.bba doesnt match the file in the setup's .cab file , medium may be corrupted.

different errors on on the 4 discs and one "good" install. how random can it be?
now i spended 100$ today and it got stuck on installation. btw when i ignored the error i could start the game, NO CD KEY entered tough, and it got stuck in the first campaigne after 1 min or so. WHAT THE F*CK ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
im pissed of right now rly, looked rly forward to it, i even got the whole weekend off for this game ! ! ! ! ! ruined it all. should i bring it back and leave it or try ANOTHER two discs ? ? ?
djeezes !

BTOG46
09-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Ah but google would also say this too, if you look.
"Normally, when CD/DVD drives get a CRC message from a disc, they try to read the disc again - hence the grinding sound. After several failed attempts, they give up and display the redundancy check error. The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive)".
It might not just be faulty discs. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kozzmozz1981
09-29-2007, 03:19 AM
ITs been tested on 2 computers. with 4 discs.
i installed the game ignoring two faults (wich make my singleplayer crash after seconds) but i can play online and a custom game!

i downloaded the Patch from a german site and not the auto update patch and it installed the patch correctly, so know it "works" (game stopped working after some time, vista issue?

but still, this is unacceptable!

buzzin1999
09-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I get the exact same CRC error, but its a different .bba file. I just bought the game. I noticed when opening that it looked as if it had been shrink-wrapped instead of the "factory plastic" I'm used to. I wonder if someone else bought the copy I have and returned it.

I'm going to try it on my other PC and see if the installation fails there as well.

buzzin1999
09-30-2007, 05:18 PM
It installed without error on my XP desktop.

I'm going to try uninstalling DVDFab before attempting to install again on my Vista box.

buzzin1999
09-30-2007, 05:58 PM
I uninstalled DVDFab (I use it to backup my movie collection). Rebooted and reinstalled without the CRC error. The .sys file DVDFab and others like CloneDVD use is pcouffin.sys. My hunch is that causes the conflict. Uninstall your DVD copying software and you're good!

BTW, my XP desktop has CloneDVD Mobile and AnyDVD installed and it had no errors during installation (then again they don't use pcouffin.sys).

Hope this helps! I'm off to play!

citybuilder
09-30-2007, 06:15 PM
It goes both ways. The CRC error can mean either a faulty media (dirty, scratched, written improperly etc) or faulty hardware.

My internal DVD drive will regulary produce CRC errors on new disks. My external DVD drive will use those disks without any problems.

Each drive manafacturer makes their drives differently, some are more prone to the errors and some are not. Using the same media on a second computer and having it fail again should indicate that the media is faulty IF both computers use the exact same model drive and from around the same time period when they were made. On the other hand if the media works on a second computer and both computers use different DVD drives, then it can still be a hardware problem on the computer which produces the error.

billidge
10-01-2007, 02:19 AM
This is a joke you spend all this time and money buying this game and get caught up in all the hype and exitement only to get it home and the damn thing will not install . CRC error: The file c:\program files\ubisoft\thesettlers-riseof..\base\shrlgfx0.bba doesnt match the file in the setup's .cab file , medium may be corrupted. IT'S BRAND NEW !!!!! Isn't that the whole point of auto run setups, so you don't need to be a computer guru to install/play the damn game!!!! Seriously pissed off !!!!