PDA

View Full Version : A few small UI suggestions from playing the Demo

Mtrixis
04-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Allow left click and hold to drag the main view around

Allow number presses on the market screen to either a) Select the number of units that you pressed - useful for when dealing with small numbers of units traded, which you frequently are or b) Numbers 1-0 set the slider to 1/10th to 10/10ths of the slider value - less precise, but lets you work with larger amounts more easily.

Allow us to set the right-click and hold camera controls completely to our preferences - your 'invert' or 'non invert' options each have one axis backwards from the way I prefer it, which makes rotating the camera awkward for me no matter which I choose, instead, have one option for X, one for Y.

The camera in battle when zoomed in behaves very poorly. You can't scroll the screen with the mouse for some reason while zoomed, only the keyboard. It also doesn't re-center the camera on the currently active or moving unit.

Mtrixis
04-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Allow left click and hold to drag the main view around

Allow number presses on the market screen to either a) Select the number of units that you pressed - useful for when dealing with small numbers of units traded, which you frequently are or b) Numbers 1-0 set the slider to 1/10th to 10/10ths of the slider value - less precise, but lets you work with larger amounts more easily.

Allow us to set the right-click and hold camera controls completely to our preferences - your 'invert' or 'non invert' options each have one axis backwards from the way I prefer it, which makes rotating the camera awkward for me no matter which I choose, instead, have one option for X, one for Y.

The camera in battle when zoomed in behaves very poorly. You can't scroll the screen with the mouse for some reason while zoomed, only the keyboard. It also doesn't re-center the camera on the currently active or moving unit.

JustAndStrong
04-14-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm surprised that this hasn't received more replies. I totally agree with what you said:

1) Separate camera horizontal control from vertical - neither of the two current modes meets my preferences

2) In combat screen, it's impossible to move the camera by moving cursor to the edge of the screen

Fix please!

Gorkk00
04-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Completely agree with the left click and hold to drag. And with the rest as well btw http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
And another thing: why the hell mouse moves are so slowed in the game? Although I tried changing my mouse reactivity settings, it doesn't change a thing in the game. And the mouse movement is so slow that it's a pain, specialy without left click & hold to drag the main view...

A setting to control the mouse speed would be a good thing as well.

XyZspineZyX
04-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I agree with Mtrixis's suggestions. And I have a few more.
1) The resolution of UI images (buttons, frames, hero images, almost everything) are poor. 3D objects are sharp, but flat UI images are too blurry! Well, I'm playing at 1920x1200, maybe that's why, but hey it's not an excuse!
2) It's too hard to access simple info like hero's inventory.
3) What happened to the lovely creature recruitment screen? It gave info on not-yet-built creatures/upgrades and it was a beautiful arrangement. Now, I have no info on what if I upgrade, etc. Plus, the UI is so dull. Please change this back!
4) Mouse scroll does not work in battle screen, with or without zoom. This is so annoying and the idea of zooming is lost.
5) The frames of UI windows are unnecessarily thick. Add the poor image resolution, the result is just not beautiful.

@ Gorkk00: Use HW (hardware) mouse. It solved the slow cursor problem for me.

Mtrixis
04-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Just another small gripe - the camera scrolling on the main map is terrible. This is part of the reason that I asked for a left click and drag to pull the screen around, since pushing the edge of the screen feels really cruddy

I normally use the arrow keys, but they're not located next to the rest of the hotkeys - could we get a key configuration screen, to remap the keys to whatever we want to use?

duke_val
04-16-2006, 10:23 AM
On the battle screen there is no problem zooming with the scroller. The inly thing is that there isn't a 360 degree rotation and camera always points to the center of the battlefield.
If you recall in homm3 you couldn't see the upgraded unit's stats unless you build the required building.
There aren't that many things that are so bad.

I'd like to see in combat when a turn ends. Maybe on the action bar there should be a line with distinguishable color marking the end of a turn! Because I constanty have to check whether some spell is still in effect and for other reasons.

Labyrinth
04-16-2006, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by duke_val:
The inly thing is that there isn't a 360 degree rotation and camera always points to the center of the battlefield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oooh! Wait a moment!
Back in the open beta you couldn't scroll on battlefields - now you can! (Which is indeed a cool feature)
Now you can zoom in on any unit on the BF.

The 360? turnaround is still not there, though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

nanogasm
04-16-2006, 12:35 PM
To the OP: You can drag the map around, both in the adventure and battle views. Use your middle mouse button. Click and hold and drag.

It is a little awkward at first. I'd prefer the battle view allowing you to scroll by just pushing your cursor to the screen edge. But the middle mouse technique does get easier once you get use to it.

duke_val
04-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Apparently I missed that somewhere in the way. Thanks for the tip.
I really hope they somehow mark the end of a battle turn!

Mtrixis
04-16-2006, 12:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nanogasm:
To the OP: You can drag the map around, both in the adventure and battle views. Use your middle mouse button. Click and hold and drag.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! Thanks. I never caught this because I never push the middle mouse button (scroll wheel). Any idea if this is bindable in a config file somewhere? If they have the feature in already, it'd be sweet if I could set which button triggers it.

Mtrixis
04-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Just a bump for the other features