PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal tearing

Ambious
07-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Howdy.
My specs are pretty good (to follow post) and when I play the game, I get horrible horizontal tearing when moving in any direction (running or turning quickly makes it worse, naturally). It's so bad that I get nausea from playing.
Other games run just fine.
I run at 1680 x 1050 @ 60Mhz
Here are my specs:

Intel Core2Duo E8500 (3.18Ghz)
Asus P5E Motherboard (Intel X38 Chipset)
2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDRII @ 800Mhz
Gigabyte nVidia Geforce 8800 GT (512Mb)
Windows 7 64Bit
Samsung T220 Monitor (2ms refresh rate)

DrImpossible
07-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Could it be Windows 7?

Ambious
07-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Unlikely - as the graphical basis of Windows7 is very simmilar to that of Vista, and also that many many MANY other games run just fine and without tearing on the same machine.
I'm guessing it has to do with VSYNC, but when I try to enable that the resolution is forced down to 1024x768 for some reason.

Ambious
07-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Just an update, I 'fixed' it by setting VSYNC override in the nVidia control panel, and setting resolution in the game to maximum. No more tearing.

phpessotti
07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
hey when I edit the video files to enable vsync, my resolution resets to 1024x768. Why is this happening? It doesn't stay at 1920x1200. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ambious
07-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I also had that issue, which is why I enabled VSYNC in my graphics driver control panel (nVidia in my case) rather than in the game.
I set the game to 1680x1050, which disabled the in-game VSYNC, but the driver over-ride still performed VSYNC while rendering to the GPU, so the problem was solved.
I have to say the game is finally enjoyable, the tearing was sickening.

phpessotti
07-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Ambious:
I also had that issue, which is why I enabled VSYNC in my graphics driver control panel (nVidia in my case) rather than in the game.
I set the game to 1680x1050, which disabled the in-game VSYNC, but the driver over-ride still performed VSYNC while rendering to the GPU, so the problem was solved.
I have to say the game is finally enjoyable, the tearing was sickening.
hm I can't seem to get it to work with the ati control panel. I set it to always on, but when I enter the game my fps still goes passed 60fps?!

Doctor_Hades
07-06-2009, 06:14 AM
V-Sync can be enabled in this game by manually editing the Video.src file in the Documents/Call of Juaraz - Bound in Blood/Settings/Out folder. Just temporarily rename the file to Video.ini or Video.txt to edit it and remove the ! in front of the VSync() entry. Save the file then rename it back to Video.scr. The game should now run with V-Sync enabled.

We really shouldn't have to enable V-Sync manually though, it should be an in-game setting along with the FSAA options as they're both included in the Video.scr options file! V-Sync should be a standard option for all PC games in my opinion, there's really no excuse for not including it.

phpessotti
07-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Doctor_Hades:
V-Sync can be enabled in this game by manually editing the Video.src file in the Documents/Call of Juaraz - Bound in Blood/Settings/Out folder. Just temporarily rename the file to Video.ini or Video.txt to edit it and remove the ! in front of the VSync() entry. Save the file then rename it back to Video.scr. The game should now run with V-Sync enabled.

We really shouldn't have to enable V-Sync manually though, it should be an in-game setting along with the FSAA options as they're both included in the Video.scr options file! V-Sync should be a standard option for all PC games in my opinion, there's really no excuse for not including it.
so just remove the (!)? When I do that my resolution resets to 1024x768 when I start the game

Doctor_Hades
07-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Removing the ! in front of the !VSync() entry apparently doesn't work for some people so instead add a new VSync() entry at the bottom of the Video.scr file and leave the original entry as it is. The game seems to reset the entries preceeded by ! but leaves the ones lower down as they are.

This definitely works as I've loaded the game up some half a dozen times now and v-sync is working every time plus my resolution remains at 1680x1050.

Ambious
07-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Nice call, thanks mate!

CommieRed1975
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Hmm, I don't have a video.scr or any other file like it in the 'out' folder that you guys mention. There just is a save.tga, first run, last user, console_history etc. and some other folders for saves, log, profiles.