PDA

View Full Version : How Can The Screenshot Comps be Improved

tambor198
07-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Ok, I've been kicking this idea around for the last month or so and now that we are in the beginning of a new month for the screenshot comps, I thought I'd open up this discussion.

The question is, what can be done to improve the Screenshot Comps. What would you like to see added or maybe subtracted. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but just remember one thing that I will be the final judge of what will be used and won't be used as I do all the work. I think there is room for improvement and am interested in what you guys have to say.

So, who wants to get the ball rolling, so to speak. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

AmberMonk
07-02-2009, 03:47 PM
One thought is to display the pics by <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">categories</span> such as...
1) Subs
2) Surface Ships (both US and enemy)
3) Aircraft
4) Environment
5) Scenery
6) Rare/Subtle events

Whatever pic received the most votes, regardless of category, would be the winner.

Alternately, give lesser prizes for each category.

With this system, even if contestants didn't win the overall prize, they might be pleased to win the "best in category."

Gidgiddoni84
07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Maybe take the winning shots every few months and have a competition between them for a title position.

tambor198
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Gidgiddoni84:
Maybe take the winning shots every few months and have a competition between them for a title position.

We do run something like that. We have a Screenshot of the Year for both Unedited and Edited in January each year. The winners from each month are automically entered from the previous year.

MWolfe1963
07-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I like Ambermonks idea, but not sure how that would be done. Would be like a music awards show. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

I thought it would be cool if we could discuss the shots during the competition, but figured that would cause problems.

Several have done mini-series with stories like your recent one. That would be cool, best story line with SS's.

To get more people involved, better prizes, like a trip to Pearl...you can afford it.

Vlaba
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't participate, but I think you should set a goal for the screen-shot you want. As in, this month, I'm looking for the best shot of the Yamato. Or, post an actual photo from the war and see who can get the closest to replicating it.

Vlaba

tambor198
07-02-2009, 09:01 PM
@Ambermonk

An interesting idea, but not very practical in my case. All expenses that are incurred for postage, prizes and printing paper comes out of my pocket. I receive no reimbursement of any kind. I receive some prizes through the generosity of forum members but not very often. So expanding the competition while very interesting is not practical for me.

@MWolfe1963

Feel free to open the discussion of any of the screenshots at any time. All I request is that you make these posts in the General Discussion area and not in the Screenshot Comp thread as I would like to keep those uncluttered for the screenshots. Oh, and drop the idea of a trip to Pearl, it ain't gonna happen. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif

@Vlaba

I think a theme for different month of the Screenshot comps is a great idea. It shall be used in one of the upcoming months.

Thanks for the imput, guys. Appreciate it. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Keep the ideas coming. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Gidgiddoni84
07-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I think that having multiple categories within the existing competitions wouldn't really work, especially if there were few shots in a month.

Instead, what if there were three categories:

Unedited- Same
Edited- Same
Monthly Theme

Each month has a different theme, be it planes, guns, torpedoes, capitol ships, etc. You could run the next months theme in advance so people could save them up in preparation.

buddha231974
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
For the edited competition:

You could choose the raw screenshot photo, or photos.... And then the contestants could use these photos, edit them and enter.

Would be interesting to see what everyone would come up with from the same picture.

WernherVonTrapp
07-03-2009, 02:14 AM
With the advent of larger, wide angle, computer screens, I think it's time to lift or modify the limitation on SS size. I am finding that, many times after taking SSs, I am unable to size them down without cutting out key features in the picture. My current screen resolution is 1920 X 1080. This almost precludes the taking of any close-ups since sizing them, even to 1024 X 768, cuts out much of the intended content. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

pacific_breeze
07-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by tambor198:
@Ambermonk

An interesting idea, but not very practical in my case. All expenses that are incurred for postage, prizes and printing paper comes out of my pocket. I receive no reimbursement of any kind. I receive some prizes through the generosity of forum members but not very often. So expanding the competition while very interesting is not practical for me.

Prizes and printing certificates are no big deals Tambor .. well at least for me. Appreciations towards those who enters and mentioning their efforts have greater affects to every contestant. Personally, I wouldn't expect Moderator to put up the cost to run the comp. I'm sure there are alternative ways to appreciate contestants.

Just an example .. every time the competition finish .. all those screenshots sink with the flow of other threads. Why not creating specific threads, put them on the sticky and call them something like "Great SS Album of SH4 by Forum Members".

One for the winners with their names and edit them with a nice frame and insert the original title. Another way is also to show the certificate in this particular thread with the screenshot in it. They will be for everyone to enjoy and can stay there as long as SH4 forum exist.

Other screenshots for non-winners can be placed in a different thread but also on the sticky. I'm sure everyone here will appreciate them. At the end ... there will be minimum cost for you to fork out.

If want to run the comp and sending the certificate/prizes then perhaps you can do it every quarter or so and also make the certificate looks more special for special competition. I have many things in my mind how to improve this and had discussed this long time ago with RJ.

@Vlaba

I think a theme for different month of the Screenshot comps is a great idea. It shall be used in one of the upcoming months.

I totally agree with this and I remember I wrote this similar idea to RJ. I shall look for the PM message I sent him and will post it here.

pacific_breeze
07-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by WernherVonTrapp:
I am finding that, many times after taking SSs, I am unable to size them down without cutting out key features in the picture.

The way I do this, I take the picture in a little more distance and leaving spaces on the edges, top, bottom and sides. Make it smaller first but not too much before getting to the desired resolution. After this, use the crop tool to get the picture to be shown by suppressing those empty edges then resize it to the last resolution.

This will probably stretch the image a bit depending on how you crop it but after a while you'll get used to it and you'll know what the accurate resolution when cropping it. At the end no one will notice .. have a go .. it's a fun thing to do .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Have a look at my sig, this picture was based on 1280 x 1024 and it has become that small. I did quite a bit of resizing and cropping here and there but you are right .. sometimes need to sacrifice the key feature so that is why for me important to leave empty spaces around the edges and just patience. We can always undo if it doesn't look right http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Subject_rod
07-03-2009, 08:33 AM
The question is, what can be done to improve the Screenshot Comps... It would be a major improvement, if only I won the competition once in a while! http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z15/subject_rod/smilies/weeping.gif

But I like the idea of themes or categories ( http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif AmberMonk) - but instead of mixed categories, only one theme per month.

/edit: forgot!
- but YES! bigger images, please! Would prefer full screenshots!

The more I download, the cheaper each byte gets, so bring 'em on! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

tambor198
07-03-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm seeing some interesting ideas floating around here. Will expound on one of them in a moment.

Some thoughts on screenshot themes and resolution for screenshots. Firstly, on the resolution I will have to check with the powers higher up and see what the official rules are on the subject before any changes can be instituted. Now on the subject of themes for the screenshots is that I want to see more people enter the Comps. The more entries the better the competition. I'm seeing the idea of a theme used a broad spectrum and not getting to complicated with them because it might turn away people who are newbies and not as skilled as some of us are at taking screenies. So at least for awhile it be best to keep an themes for the screehshots simple.

Now to expound on an idea expressed by pacific_breeze. To quote from his thread above:

just an example .. every time the competition finish .. all those screenshots sink with the flow of other threads. Why not creating specific threads, put them on the sticky and call them something like "Great SS Album of SH4 by Forum Members".

One for the winners with their names and edit them with a nice frame and insert the original title. Another way is also to show the certificate in this particular thread with the screenshot in it. They will be for everyone to enjoy and can stay there as long as SH4 forum exist.

Other screenshots for non-winners can be placed in a different thread but also on the sticky. I'm sure everyone here will appreciate them. At the end ... there will be minimum cost for you to fork out.

As most of you are aware we have a Screenshot of the Year Comps in January every year. Using pacific_breeze's idea but changing it slightly I would creat two stickys at the beginning of the year one for the unedited and one for the edited comps. In each of these stickys I would put the winners from each month so they can be seen on a regular basis by everyone in the Forums. In these two stickys I would link the monthly competition threads so anyone can view any and all screenshots from the whole year. And for the Screenshot Comps in January there can be a special certicate and prizes made available. Taking this idea one step further, we could instead of me sending out a certificate every month award someone can come up with a special signature that can be put in their posts just like the signatiures most of use now. We have some very talented graphics designers in these forums and a suitable Screenshot Award Signature can be made up without too much problem. Heck, we could even run a contest to come up with the best sig for the monthly awards.

Let me know if you guys think my idea has any merit?

MWolfe1963
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I think that's a great idea. I always thought we needed a Sticky for SS's, but this makes it even better.

Not that I don't respect the work of a certificate, you mailing it, it's really more of a in game thing and not many of us have the need to hang it on our wall at home, nor is it fair you paying out of your pocket. Maybe that's just my age, but I think all being on the forums would be the better, with once a year being fine for a certificate and prizes.
Maybe we could all help chip it with the prize and make it something decent.

If I'm understandig you correctly, monthly SS winners are the only ones that enter the Jan. contest using the SS they won with.....or is it all inclusive? I think it should be inclusive because everyone tries. I entered several before I won. However, it would also be nice to have a grand winner from the monthly winners.

tambor198
07-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
If I'm understandig you correctly, monthly SS winners are the only ones that enter the Jan. contest using the SS they won with.....or is it all inclusive? I think it should be inclusive because everyone tries. I entered several before I won. However, it would also be nice to have a grand winner from the monthly winners.

Yes, the January Screenshot of the Year would only be for the people who are monthly winners.

WernherVonTrapp
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
pacific_breeze:
The way I do this, I take the picture in a little more distance and leaving spaces on the edges, top, bottom and sides. Make it smaller first but not too much before getting to the desired resolution. After this, use the crop tool to get the picture to be shown by suppressing those empty edges then resize it to the last resolution.

This will probably stretch the image a bit depending on how you crop it but after a while you'll get used to it and you'll know what the accurate resolution when cropping it. At the end no one will notice .. have a go .. it's a fun thing to do ..
Ah, that brings up another good point since, what you're actually doing is creating a modified SS. I hope I'm not being too technical here but, what actually constitutes a modified SS as opposed to an unmodified SS? Certainly, a simple resizing of the image should not constitute a modification but, to start cutting sections and/or stretching/skewing; now you getting into altering the original image. We need to be able to modify the size so that, a simple resizing will bring the image inline with forum rules.

AmberMonk
07-03-2009, 05:22 PM
@Ambermonk

Actually, my original comment stated...
Whatever pic received the most votes, regardless of category, would be the winner.

I only mentioned additional prizes as an alternative.

I like Vlaba's idea of a <span class="ev_code_GREEN">Featured Theme</span> also.

MWolfe's idea of background info of screenshots (as a separate topic) is also a very good idea. It might stimulate interest for future screenshot competitions.

@ Pacific_breeze posted...
Prizes and printing certificates are no big deals Tambor .. well at least for me. Appreciations towards those who enters and mentioning their efforts have greater affects to every contestant. Personally, I wouldn't expect Moderator to put up the cost to run the comp. I'm sure there are alternative ways to appreciate contestants.

I agree completely. The number of prizes (1) would remain unchanged. What would be different is that a list of the winners in each category would be posted also - at no extra cost of money. It really doesn't matter if there are only a few entries in a specific category.

What might also happen, aside from there being more interest and more "winners," is that the idea of categories might inspire people to submit more varied screenshots instead of the same tired old themes & angles each month.

AmberMonk
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
With the advent of larger, wide angle, computer screens, I think it's time to lift or modify the limitation on SS size. I am finding that, many times after taking SSs, I am unable to size them down without cutting out key features in the picture. My current screen resolution is 1920 X 1080. This almost precludes the taking of any close-ups since sizing them, even to 1024 X 768, cuts out much of the intended content. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I assumed that if my screenshot was too big (I also use widescreen) I could just shrink down the full SS to the required size - maintaining 100% of the original composition. With the freely downloadable Paint.net this could be accomplished in less than 5 seconds.

I never considered that shrinking down the entire picture would be considered modifying or altering the original. Perhaps a more complete definition of altering is in order.

WernherVonTrapp
07-03-2009, 06:02 PM
I never considered that shrinking down the entire picture would be considered modifying or altering the original. Perhaps a more complete definition of altering is in order. You misunderstood, or misread my post. "Certainly, a simple resizing of the image should not constitute a modification but, to start cutting sections and/or stretching/skewing; now you getting into altering the original image."

captgeo
07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
I like the idea of having 3 categories (cat of the month)I real like the "prize" change, I was shocked when I learned that Tambor does not get reimbursed, a sticky thread with a running wining selection so that they are displayed up front so you dont have to search for the dissappearing thread is a great idea.

I would like to see the entry time reduced to 10 days from first of the month, and I think reminder posts should be made by the Moderators about the voteing time comming to close.

So to sum my input up, dito the previous post's..... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tambor198
07-04-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok, I've gotten some feeedback on at least the screen resolution. To put this in simple terms I basically was informed that while there is no official policy on screen resolution it is preferred that 1024x768 be used. Anything larger and we'd have to resort to using thumbnails as an alternative. My opinion is that using thumbnails would be a detraction.

Also, I would like some more feedback on the idea I've proposed for revamping the Screenshot Comps. What are your thoughts, does my idea have merit?

WernherVonTrapp
07-04-2009, 09:40 AM
To put this in simple terms I basically was informed that while there is no official policy on screen resolution it is preferred that 1024x768 be used. Well, in that case, resizing my SSs to maintain the 1024 pixel width would leave my cross section at 576 pixels. That is, would 1024 X 576 be acceptable? This way, I can fit my SSs neatly on the forum page while still maintaining the integrity of the original picture. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif

tambor198
07-04-2009, 10:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To put this in simple terms I basically was informed that while there is no official policy on screen resolution it is preferred that 1024x768 be used. Well, in that case, resizing my SSs to maintain the 1024 pixel width would leave my cross section at 576 pixels. That is, would 1024 X 576 be acceptable? This way, I can fit my SSs neatly on the forum page while still maintaining the integrity of the original picture. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/halo.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Wernher. That is acceptable. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

My screenshots don't come out much different from yours after I resize them.

I have one more question for you guys. This involves the entry period and voting time. Would you like to have the entry time increased and the voting time decreased or the other way around. For example;

Entry Time - 1 -20th

Voting Time - 20 - End of Month

WernherVonTrapp
07-04-2009, 10:36 AM
I would like to see the entry time increased and have the voting time set for, say, 1 week (7 days). http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

tambor198
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Just want to say thanks to those who took the time to comment and make suggestions in this thread. You'll be seeing some changes in the Screenshot Comps in the very near future.

pacific_breeze
07-04-2009, 08:11 PM

Also, I would like some more feedback on the idea I've proposed for revamping the Screenshot Comps. What are your thoughts, does my idea have merit?

Excellent idea Tambor .. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

If I can also make another suggestion (I think someone has also suggested this?) .. make three winners instead of just one (more explanation about this below).

As mentioned in my previous post .. below is the part of suggestion that I sent RJ last year through PM. Since this is an open discussion now then I just post it here. I've edited little bit to cater the purpose of this thread. The categorisation that I proposed is pretty much similar to AmberMonk's suggestion.

The categorisation that I suggested was for an Annual SS comp but if this is suitable for monthly comp or perhaps vary it for quarterly or even half yearly then this SS comp event will have more "flavour" to it.

Well .. Tambor .. you be the judge for this so just consideration if suitable for everyone http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-----------------------------------------------

OPTION TO CATEGORISE THE SCREENSHOTS AND RULES TO VOTE:
The options are:

Option 1 - Using screenshot category:
Categorise the screenshots in order to win for specific categories.

The rules can be something like the following:
> create something like 3 categories with maximum 2 pictures(?) on each category:
- Category 1: The scene of the submarine with minimum one other ship or air fighter in any situation i.e. Battle scene, Rendevouz with the Allied etc.

- Category 2: The environment scenery. Any ships/air fighters with the best scenery of dawn/dusk, day or night.

- Category 3: The scene of great explosions. The pictures may or may not involve the submarine.

> Only one winner for each category.
> Forum members vote the exact same way as monthly competition i.e. using 3 points and 1 point for each category.

Option 2 - Similar to current monthly competition with maximum 4 entries and adding another winning point level:
Exactly the same as monthly competition with no category but increase the winner to 3 level of winners i.e. First, Second, and Third place. Need to add another point level for this i.e. indicate the screenshots whether 5 points, 3 points, or 1 point.

ADDING MORE WINNERS FOR THIS COMPETITION:
The winners will depend on the competition style (option) you apply. At the end this competition will have 3 screenshot winners. -- Just my view on this, if we want to make a better competition event and more to join in, we need to encourage the contestants with more hopes to win http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

A SPECIAL DESIGN OF WINNING CERTIFICATE:
* Design a special attractive certificate for this competition. So more members will do their best to get this winning certificate. -- Tambor, if this is an electronic certificate that will be displayed on the winners thread then it will be excellent.

* Include the winner's screenshot itself on the certificate with the caption presented below the picture, therefore, competitors are encouraged to put nice captions.

-----------------------------------------------

captgeo
07-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Below will be a couple of copied posts from the screenshot thread, any further input would be helpful.

Captgeo

------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by captgeo:
Well I mentioned it in the other thread.

The thread is stagnent for most of the month because players will wait till the end to enter. Then we only will have activity from the middle of the month till the end.With s shorter entry time we would have submission's and be voteing till the end, if you know what I mean.

I am trying to help out here, not trying to be negative....lol

I hear what your saying, captgeo. Both the entries and the voting tend to turn stagnant at some time during the month, maybe the idea would be to shorten the competition to say a time period of three weeks instead of a month. Two weeks for entry and one week for voting.

------------------------------------------------

or vice versa, 1 week entry, two voteing, but we should get some more input.

But overall, I like the idea of shortening it by a week.

tambor198
07-14-2009, 09:17 PM
or vice versa, 1 week entry, two voteing, but we should get some more input.

But overall, I like the idea of shortening it by a week.

Changes sometimes come slowly, captgeo. More changes will come in the not too far off future. For now I think I will let things stand as is. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

wh1skea
07-15-2009, 05:55 AM
I think I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this thread myself. The SH3 competitions have been needing some spicing up these last couple of months. I like the idea of "Theme Months" and extending entry time to the 20th.

I also like the idea that was mentioned of a selection of raw screenshots to be used for the edited competion.

AmberMonk
07-16-2009, 04:13 PM
I can't speak for anyone else of course, but if I was ever fortunate enough to win a screenshot competition, I wouln't mind receiving an email certificate instead of a paper copy.

It would be faster and cheaper - a win-win situation.

captgeo
07-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Good idea there Monk, .....how about a sig by tambor that can display the win with the date (date's)of the win, and maybe that sig could be a resize of the winning shot.

This could be modified for more that 1 win I would think.

tambor198
07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
@AmberMonk

I have considered the idea of e-mailing the award certificates out but thought the sigs was an easier way for right now.

@captgeo

In one of the suggestions put forth by pacific_breeze it was suggested that the winning screenshot could be used as part of the winning signature. The idea is a good one and may be used in the future, but for right now the rotating sigs I have announced will be what we run with. The winning date will placed below the sig for now and probably latter will be included in the sig.

Samofrome
09-05-2009, 03:04 AM
I got an idea, why not tell poeple how to take sceenshots so that they can enter.

Wolferz
09-05-2009, 06:36 AM
For your consideration,

The voting method has a bit of a flaw, even though the shots are now posted anonymously, there is still a slight bit of influence being projected in the voting responses.

I postulate that placing the entries in a "poll" type thread with no input other than ticking a bullet on the pic you wish to vote for would be more fair to everyone.

If we continue with the current 3 pt/1 pt system, then limit the voting responses to that parameter with no comments until the competition has ended.

ElAurens
09-05-2009, 07:16 AM
I have not entered in a while. After playing the sim for so long I'm just out of ideas.

Pic of sub on surface. *YAWN*

Pic of sub submerged. *DOUBLE YAWN*

Pic of surface ship blowing up/sinking. *Seen it a million times.*

Pretty sunset/sunrise. *I have suitcases full of 'em.*

There is only so much you can do with the same subject matter over and over and over again.

pacific_breeze
09-05-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by ElAurens:
I have not entered in a while. After playing the sim for so long I'm just out of ideas.

Pic of sub on surface. *YAWN*

Pic of sub submerged. *DOUBLE YAWN*

Pic of surface ship blowing up/sinking. *Seen it a million times.*

Pretty sunset/sunrise. *I have suitcases full of 'em.*

There is only so much you can do with the same subject matter over and over and over again.

Perhaps more air fighter pictures that combine with other elements in the game will be good .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm sure the edited part has zillion of ideas to look for and to keep the comp interesting with something new .. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tambor198
09-05-2009, 08:50 AM
@ pacific_breeze, Elaurens, Wolferz

I'm always open to discussion on ways to improve the Screenshot Comps. If you guys think that the current way of voting needs an overhaul, discuss away. That's what this thread is all about. I look in when I can. I'm at work right now and I have to take a work break every once in awhile. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Wolferz
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, we are all open to improvement on everything. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
I was just thinking out loud that, anonymous vote would go hand in hand with anonymous entry. I would never accuse anyone of attempting to sway the competition with their comments on SS's. Anonymous entry closed the gap on fairness by eliminating the member popularity vote. A poll type vote would do more to insure a level playing field for everyone and it would be easy to administer. (thinkin 'bout you too here Tambor) You bless us with an abundance of your precious time already.

WernherVonTrapp
09-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I never really gave it much thought but, since Wolferz brought it up, I'd have to agree with him. Comments added to the votes induces a possible power of suggestion which, if written with even the slightest degree of justification, could influence a vote either way. A simple change of rules indicating that, any votes with comments will be negated, is all that really needs to be implemented here.
Speaking strictly in the interest of impartiality, you understand. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

tambor198
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
@ Wolferz

An interesting idea to make the vote anonymous. But one of the reasons that the voting stays public is to eliminate the possibility of someone voting for themselves. Most times the voting comes down to a single vote going either way. If the voting goes anonymous that possibility then comes into play. Someone could wait till the final day of the voting and then if they happen to be tied or one vote behind they can change the vote in their favor. The way the voting is now all above table shows that everything is on the up and up. The only problem that I've hqad sofar is not being able to count correctly somestimes. So I think the voting will stay public for the forseeable future.

@ Werhner

A good suggestion, Werhner. Starting at the end of this month I will ask people to withhold comments until after the voting has concluded. Excellent idea.

RockinRobbins
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Why do I just hate screenshot contests, while I enjoy screenshots?http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/RockinRobbins13/smileys/clueless.gif

Must be some kind of fatal personality defect...

Wolferz
09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
@ Wolferz

An interesting idea to make the vote anonymous. But one of the reasons that the voting stays public is to eliminate the possibility of someone voting for themselves. Most times the voting comes down to a single vote going either way. If the voting goes anonymous that possibility then comes into play. Someone could wait till the final day of the voting and then if they happen to be tied or one vote behind they can change the vote in their favor. The way the voting is now all above table shows that everything is on the up and up. The only problem that I've hqad sofar is not being able to count correctly somestimes. So I think the voting will stay public for the forseeable future.

@ Werhner

A good suggestion, Werhner. Starting at the end of this month I will ask people to withhold comments until after the voting has concluded. Excellent idea.

Really no need to squelch comments either. Simply PM the vote to you. At the conclusion,you can always copy and move with the magic moderator's tools . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MWolfe1963
09-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I think comments should be welcome. I think so often people don't look at some point's in SS and just vote on something that look's cool. We can all take the same cool pictures of ships exploding, ect., so comments make people think before they vote.

With any voting I do, I prefer to have all possible info available. If a comment sways a vote, then so be it. We can't vote for ourselves. I think any negative comment not be allowed.

I gladly endorse and push a good SS over mine. It may even take a vote away from me, but it's not like we're playing for money. Seem's to work good and I think usually the best shot wins, so if it ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Figures it would be Wernhers idea....... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Now, my son want's me to shoot some boomers, tanks and witches..oh my.

pacific_breeze
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Wolferz:

Really no need to squelch comments either. Simply PM the vote to you. At the conclusion,you can always copy and move with the magic moderator's tools . http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hmmm .. I think Tambor also has life and do other things. I can't imagine if he has to do extra things like copy and move from PM. At the end we may just do it ourselves. I'm sure others want to see what people have been voting for during the voting time http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

Comments are powerful wordings. I always encourage people to do it and it's a natural appreciation towards SS. This also gives an idea to how a voter is judging the picture. This will help others to create the next SS and adapt them with the way individuals like to see. Well .. it's the way I see it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Wolferz
09-05-2009, 04:56 PM
A good discussion so far.
We have voiced our suggestions and opinions.

Ultimately it is in the hands of the competition's sponsor.

tambor198
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Ok, I have had sometime to give your ideas and comments some thought and have come to these conclusions. For the foreseeable future I'm going to let the voting stay as it is now. My reasoning is this. I enjoy doing the Screenshot Comps, I enjoy the competition and the interaction with all the people involved in these Comps. I get a big kick and seeing so many different styles of screenshots, you never know quite what will be a winner. I know I've been surprised on occasion when one of mine actually wins. There is however quite a bit of work involved in keeping them running on given occasions as much as I enjoy doing it I really have no desire to have the work load increased by having the votes PMed to me also. The work load is sufficient as it is and I don't desire to see it increased. So the voting will stay the same with comments if the voter feels the need to comment.

MWolfe1963
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
We all appreciate your work and time you spend on this. The book I won was a great read, so thank you very much.

tambor198
09-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MWolfe1963:
We all appreciate your work and time you spend on this. The book I won was a great read, so thank you very much.

Thank you, MWolfe. I appreciate the compliment. Your enjoyment gives me pleasure. Happy to hear you enjoyed the book. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

captgeo
09-08-2009, 05:46 PM
PM the votes to Tambor,........wow I have heard a few bad idea's , but this one tops them all. Sorry , but not a good idea at all as it affects the impartiality of the contest. And its not that I dont trust Tambor, he simply has enough to do without having to keep track of who has voted, and who has not.

Wolferz
09-09-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by captgeo:
PM the votes to Tambor,........wow I have heard a few bad idea's , but this one tops them all. Sorry , but not a good idea at all as it affects the impartiality of the contest. And its not that I dont trust Tambor, he simply has enough to do without having to keep track of who has voted, and who has not.

Not my first bad idea. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Point is moot

Pacific_Ace
09-09-2009, 07:36 AM
what about adding 'photo' essays. Short ones though say 2-5 screenies and 1000 words max.