PDA

View Full Version : Caravan - please let it return

KingImp
04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
If there is one thing that stands out in my mind that Heroes IV beat Heroes III on is the addition of Caravans.

I hated the fact that in H3 if you flagged a dwelling, you would have to send someone each week to actually pick up the creatures, and if you didn't get there each week, the growth disappeared and started back to 1. Sometimes it was impossible to get them as they might be far away or your army was full.

At least in H4 you didn't have to worry about that and could transport everyone to the castle. Plus, the growth didn't automatically disappear after a week.

Any chance we'll be getting that caravan back?

Magic_stick
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Absolutly!!A Problem which 3DO has resolved very well!!!
I would enjoy the caravans too!!!
In Heroes 3 i always had 5 Heroes and 3 of them only to send them to my dwellings...That was really nerving!!

Buddhi_West
04-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Yes, caravans were a good idea, they should be back in HoMM V

Yuri_Kenobi
04-12-2005, 12:53 PM
Agree.
That was one of the best changes in Heroes IV!

Salventus
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Although I liked the caravan, but it needs improvement. It takes the same time to travel from castle to castle if you do it manually and it should really take 1/2 the time. Second, when an enemy blocks the way you can't caravan so we should be able to beat them on the way instead sending another troop to defeat them.

Flamedragon
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I aggree that this was one of the really good ideas for Heroes 4.
If the basic game system stays like the previous games I hope this feature will return for Heroes 5.
But perhaps we don't need it anymore...

Kareeah_Indaga
04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I agree as well. I miss the caravans whenever I play an earlier Heroes game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Flamedragon:
I aggree that this was one of the really good ideas for Heroes 4.
If the basic game system stays like the previous games I hope this feature will return for Heroes 5.
But perhaps we don't need it anymore... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We won€t know until HV comes out.

dino_rpg
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Yes, Caravans should be included in Heroes V, but please include a "Recruit them all" button, it was annoying to click every building and then click on the recruit button for 25+ captured dwellings (of course, you still could recruit one at a time if you want). I know this may bue useless if you don't want a specific unit, but anything is better than letting the enemy recruit them instead, so this was always something I've to use when I play Heroes IV

Anyway, including caravans in Heroes V probably means you could have creature armies without heroes, and I don't know if that will be possible on the final game (otherwise, recruited units which cannot be placed due the lack of space on the target town must dissapear wasting gold and resources)

CH_Psychobabble
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Salventus:
Although I liked the caravan, but it needs improvement. It takes the same time to travel from castle to castle if you do it manually and it should really take 1/2 the time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's not true. The caravan moved 30 squares per day which is pretty much the speed that the very fastest creatures travel at, which makes sense.

The_Vortex
04-12-2005, 05:16 PM
I agree in bringing the caravan back. That was, IMHO, one of the best features in Heroes IV.

CapitaineNicool
04-12-2005, 05:29 PM
IMHO that was the ONLY good feature in Heroes IV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Wurtzel1952
04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
As I suggested in an earlier post, they could improve the caravan system by the player being able to build/place (at a cost) a destination point anywhere on an explored section of the map. This way, you could eliminate the need to have to go back to a town to pick up troops...

NECRO95
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wurtzel1952:
As I suggested in an earlier post, they could improve the caravan system by the player being able to build/place (at a cost) a destination point anywhere on an explored section of the map. This way, you could eliminate the need to have to go back to a town to pick up troops... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the idea, maybe if we cannot dictate an exact spot to deliever, we can maybe have it delievered to a flag resource mines? And also maybe increase the speed to about 35 squares a day.

the_Gagis
04-12-2005, 11:32 PM
I totally agree on using HOMMIV caravan. As it is.
These chages would be huge, massive, changes on gameplay. I could carefully plant ambushes and move monsters in hidng with that caravan placement. Nu-uh. It should be just the way it is on IV

UndeadDontDie
04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
I like the caravan, it was a nice addition, one of the best addition between III and IV, IMO.
Keep the caravan, but don't make it overpowered or game-breaking.

Wurtzel1952
04-13-2005, 12:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by the_Gagis:
I totally agree on using HOMMIV caravan. As it is.
These chages would be huge, massive, changes on gameplay. I could carefully plant ambushes and move monsters in hidng with that caravan placement. Nu-uh. It should be just the way it is on IV <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh yes, but wouldn't that add to the strategic element in the game?? It could be made that these caravan locations are extremely vulnerable to either capture (with the player losing the creatures to another) or destruction. Also, where's the differance in creating an ambush the conventual way, (or in the case of Homm3, using dimensional door) and using a carvan???

Imbi_Khaelo
04-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Yes, keep the caravan! in the same vein, please also keep the automatic delivery service for waterwheels, windmills, leprachauns, and other map locations. It was really irritating to send someone to collect the money/resources from these places every single week.

PeXalot
04-14-2005, 10:40 PM
i cant underdstand ....do you want to remuve heroes from heroes
bah i say no army whithout a hero

CH_Psychobabble
04-14-2005, 11:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeXalot:
i cant underdstand ....do you want to remuve heroes from heroes
bah i say no army whithout a hero <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ahhh... maybe you're looking for this (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=1851065692&m=5191045803) thread.

Qrystal_Dragon
04-15-2005, 03:34 PM
I agree! Keep the caravan but improve it. One of the rather irritating features of the caravan occurred when you had lots of critter dwellings and brought up the caravan screen.

The fact that each dwelling had a minimap of it's location and the game seemed to be moving behind the scenes for each critter dwelling you clicked on sloooooooooooooooowed down my machine like a dog stuck in a mudhole.

It was especially troubling when you scrolled down through a rather long list. I know the preference could go either way but as for the listing of the caravans I always preferred having them listed in order as relates to the closest to the point I'm caravaning too. Currently I believe H4 groups them by alignments. Perhaps the order wouldn't matter so much if the performance issue behind the scenes was resolved.

Captain_Stifu
04-16-2005, 12:49 AM
I like caravans too.

Random idea:
How about making it so you can see them on the map and attack them ? Maybe neutrals wouldn't be able to, or you would choose where to stop the caravan (but they would be quite fast)... And it could only move from 1 point to another, nowhere else.

I'm tired of the fact that when I steal an enemy castle, 1 or 2 caravans are about to arrive... If it was possible to see them or block them, I could just kill the creatures right away, instead of having some enemies wandering around my castle.

G.E.
04-16-2005, 03:29 AM
Possible solution for "caravan", if no heroless armies are allowed. Some ideas can be used independently

Caravan allows:
1) obtain reinforcements for dwellings
2) send armies to other cities (no caravan at destination required
3) increase city defence

Town without caravan has "Garrisson" army slot (heroless allowed)
Caravan adds "Town gate" army slot (heroless allowed)

from caravan building you can:
1) Create caravans from dwellings to this town
2) Create caravans from this to other towns (no caravan building at destination reqired!)

Time of travel is calculated as before, but increased by 2 days per neutral army on path and by 4 days per enemy army on path (please, no road blocks by spawned neutral groups!).

When caravan arrives to your city
if "auto-garrisson" option enabled, caravaned creatures are automatically transferred first to garrisson, then to town gate, joining stacks if possible).
if "auto-garrisson" disabled or caravan can not be put into town, Caravan UI pops up. here you can:
1) transfer creatures to and from caravan
2) disband stacks
3) make caravan hide for a day
4) redirect it to other town (no caravan building here or at destination reqired!)

When caravan arrives to a city which is occupied by enemy, it automatically redirects to nearest friendly town. If no such town exist, heroless caravans are disbanded, presence of hero allows a caravan to become an army

when you are attacking a city with caravan building, you first battle town gate army. Battle takes place in the field, some fire support from castle is possible. After this army is defeated, you proceed to siege.

The_Vortex
04-16-2005, 07:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CapitaineNicool:
IMHO that was the ONLY good feature in Heroes IV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, isn't it ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Well, it's good that Heroes 5 will be similar to Heroes 3. Back to the roots http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Djive
04-16-2005, 09:53 AM
My take on caravans.

Absoloutely prohibit attacking moving caravans on the map! It just adds senseless micromanagement and senseless battles. It very quickly becomes tiresome (and frustrating) to have 1 wolf attacked with a mighty army of hundreds of creatures. And to be honest this is the kind of uninteresting battles is what I think you would get most of the time.

In heroes 4 a hero with creatures could nearly always beat the 30 movement the caravan had. This because of stable bonuses, troughs, movement artifacts, and the pathfinding skills. Unless you had some catapults or ballistae in your army, you would be likely to beat the 30 speed the caravan gave you.

Also consider that the movement time considered the closest route when you set up a caravan which means that if a neutral or eney army blocked the closest route, you would be offered a route which could take several days extra.

As I see it the strong points of the caravan are:
- They save slots for armies on the map.
- They save you the menial task of visiting the structures over and over again.
- They provide security to moved creatures.

I don't think you should be able to use caravans to and from every location on the map, but I think it could be considered to move them from and to any position which has a garrison.

Fidanas
04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
I liked the caravan. But i wish it would have more options on route. For example "Bring every single creature is produced in a dwelling automatically.

loonyjoe
04-16-2005, 11:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Vortex:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CapitaineNicool:
IMHO that was the ONLY good feature in Heroes IV http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, isn't it ? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif
Well, it's good that Heroes 5 will be similar to Heroes 3. Back to the roots http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
nope, imho, there was a second good feature in h4 :
i liked some troops' ability to cast spells very much...so there are two of them... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

The_Vortex
04-16-2005, 03:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loonyjoe:
nope, imho, there was a second good feature in h4 :
i liked some troops' ability to cast spells very much...so there are two of them... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In heroes 3 there were also units who casted spells (genies/master genies, enchanters) so that was not entirely new feature http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

euro_cup
04-17-2005, 05:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In heroes 3 there were also units who casted spells (genies/master genies, enchanters) so that was not entirely new feature <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

true, but in Heroes iv you could choose the spell you wanted. But thats not the point of this thread.

I agree with pretty much everyone in that it should be in the game. Can anyone give me a reason why it shouldn't?

CyberViper
04-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I agree with most: KEEP THE CARAVANS. However, it could be improved a little.