PDA

View Full Version : Far Cry 2 seems kinda... unfinished.

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-04-2009, 03:36 PM
i have been playing Far Cry 2 for a long time now.
but everything i have seen seems unfinished.
it is as if half way production they decided to make it supported by consoles and release it as soon as possible.

it is said that the game features 50 square kilometers of terrain but only 50% is really accessible.
the weapons don't feature any advanced (not basic to say so) forms of recoil like Crysis or Call of Duty 4 have.
the view and the gun themselves stay completely stable while aiming. and it uses simple spread for the inaccuracy.
the movement is as basic as in old shooter, it doesn't even have prone or leaning.

the physics are simply bad. the movement of the trees and bushes seem very stiff and unnatural.
vehicles seem to accelerate to fast and have a too low speed and no form of suspension.
and whenever a NPC is driving, the car has a extremely high acceleration, speed and mass.

many say the AI is smart but that is only how it looks.
if a NPC spots me he will instantly fire at me if i'm in range. and the same will all other NPCs do within a certain radius. they just seem to be telepathic. they also seem to be able to look through grass, plants and some other objects.
also whenever you are moving the NPCs can hit you as good/bad as when you are standing still, it doesn't make a difference.
and the AI also seem to be very suicidal: they like to throw grenades in front of their own feet, shoot rockets into walls right in front of them, jump in front of my car instead of away, run into fire, wait for the fire to come to them, driving up to me and stepping out in front of me for a easy kill... and as last some just drop dead for no apparent reason (heart attack or what? lol).

the overall graphics are very good but there are a few problems here and there.
the way too high brightness at night because of HDR and bloom for example.
a strange blue color at the edges of objects at night.
it also lacks some post processing effects like motion blur and depth of field.
the water surface should actually have been more transparent and it shouldn't be so dark under water.

one of the greatest complains the game gets is repetitiveness.
the missions seem like they have been made with the least effort and time. just having some kind object or NPC that needs to be destroyed or interacted with.

also it would seem the engine has not been used to even a fraction of its potential. but while ubi didn't use it to its full potential modders could... that is if they had the tools. there is no SDK for the game but only a strange basic map editor with a extreme amount of limitation. it seems ubi doesn't want people to repair and finish their game.

ubi promised a lot of thing for the game but delivered only very little.
for example the the NPCs would go sit in the shade when it would get hot, but they don't.

i could go on complaining and ranting but i won't. i have already written more than i expected.

but now i wonder, what will ubi do with Far Cry 3?

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-04-2009, 03:36 PM
it is as if half way production they decided to make it supported by consoles and release it as soon as possible.

it is said that the game features 50 square kilometers of terrain but only 50% is really accessible.
the weapons don't feature any advanced (not basic to say so) forms of recoil like Crysis or Call of Duty 4 have.
the view and the gun themselves stay completely stable while aiming. and it uses simple spread for the inaccuracy.
the movement is as basic as in old shooter, it doesn't even have prone or leaning.

the physics are simply bad. the movement of the trees and bushes seem very stiff and unnatural.
vehicles seem to accelerate to fast and have a too low speed and no form of suspension.
and whenever a NPC is driving, the car has a extremely high acceleration, speed and mass.

if a NPC spots me he will instantly fire at me if i'm in range. and the same will all other NPCs do within a certain radius. they just seem to be telepathic. they also seem to be able to look through grass, plants and some other objects.
also whenever you are moving the NPCs can hit you as good/bad as when you are standing still, it doesn't make a difference.
and the AI also seem to be very suicidal: they like to throw grenades in front of their own feet, shoot rockets into walls right in front of them, jump in front of my car instead of away, run into fire, wait for the fire to come to them, driving up to me and stepping out in front of me for a easy kill... and as last some just drop dead for no apparent reason (heart attack or what? lol).

it also lacks some post processing effects like motion blur and depth of field.
the water surface should actually have been more transparent and it shouldn't be so dark under water.

the missions seem like they have been made with the least effort and time. just having some kind object or NPC that needs to be destroyed or interacted with.

also it would seem the engine has not been used to even a fraction of its potential. but while ubi didn't use it to its full potential modders could... that is if they had the tools. there is no SDK for the game but only a strange basic map editor with a extreme amount of limitation. it seems ubi doesn't want people to repair and finish their game.

for example the the NPCs would go sit in the shade when it would get hot, but they don't.

i could go on complaining and ranting but i won't. i have already written more than i expected.

but now i wonder, what will ubi do with Far Cry 3?

SeaFireLIV
07-04-2009, 08:52 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysterious_Mr_M:
it is as if half way production they decided to make it supported by consoles and release it as soon as possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was defintely made with the console in mind. Seems unfinished? Depends what you mean by `seems` unfinished.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mysterious_Mr_M:
it is said that the game features 50 square kilometers of terrain but only 50% is really accessible.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only 50%? Did you actually measure this? Also having 50 square kilometers of terrain does not guarantee that it will all be accessible. For instant terrain varies and some of it cannot be reached, even in real life. however, in this game you can use the Glider. have you tried it? Surely a glider makes the terrain a heluva lot more accessible than 50% .

the weapons don't feature any advanced (not basic to say so) forms of recoil like Crysis or Call of Duty 4 have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never played those games, but at least the weapons do have recoil that requires relatively careful shooting at range. Some weapons are a pain to shoot and even see accurately if you keep the trigger down.

the view and the gun themselves stay completely stable while aiming. and it uses simple spread for the inaccuracy..? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simple spread for accuracy? Exactly what do you mean? Do you know? As you end with a question mark?

the movement is as basic as in old shooter, it doesn't even have prone or leaning. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree, these elements would`ve been nice to have.

the physics are simply bad. the movement of the trees and bushes seem very stiff and unnatural.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally disagree. When the wind blows and bushes, brabches sway, it`s extremely realistic. Also when pushing through jungle undergrowth and seeing bushes move to that is also extremely realistic.

vehicles seem to accelerate to fast and have a too low speed and no form of suspension. and whenever a NPC is driving, the car has a extremely high acceleration, speed and mass. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there were no suspension, your car would fall apart from just a 1 minute journey over the terrain. The acceleration seems ok to me and as for the AI, yes, they do go into a super fast mode when they detect you, it `seems`.
But aren`t you just being picky here? I notice when i drive the car that my feet don`t move to the brake or accelerator and my hand never leaves the wheel when I use the handbrake.

if a NPC spots me he will instantly fire at me if i'm in range.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Er... And what`s wrong here? If he SPOTS you and is in range, he should fire at you!

and the same will all other NPCs do within a certain radius. they just seem to be telepathic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happens is IF the NPC is in range of other friendly NPCs he will :
a, Call to them for help.
b, The other NPCs will hear or see the NPC shooting and come running or look where the other NPC shoots and then spot you and shoot towards you.
Simple and realistic.

they also seem to be able to look through grass, plants and some other objects. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they don`t see through objects, but they can FIGURE out where you are if you are spotted by other npcs or make too much noise, etc. for instance, if you start shooting then run into a corrugated iron shed or an old rusty bus or train carriage, and they see you go there, they will shoot INTO it rather than come to you. Sometimes they`ll even throw a grenade in if they can. It`s smart. If youn listen carefully, they`ll say things like, "He`s in there!" this is a clue to get out or they will surround and shoot.

also whenever you are moving the NPCs can hit you as good/bad as when you are standing still, it doesn't make a difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not true. If you sprint, they will not hit you as easy as if you walk. If you sprint and also SLIDE (see manual on how to do this), they`ll nearly always miss. I sprint and slide a lot, it lowers your hit profile.

and the AI also seem to be very suicidal: they like to throw grenades in front of their own feet, shoot rockets into walls right in front of them, jump in front of my car instead of away, run into fire, wait for the fire to come to them, driving up to me and stepping out in front of me for a easy kill... and as last some just drop dead for no apparent reason (heart attack or what? lol).. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to check things more carefully. I`ve had AI jump out of my way. I`ve seen AI throw grenades very well in my direction. I`ve seen them keep OUT of the way of fire. The only bit I agree with is the way they sometimes like to drive up to you to step out and be shot. Are playing on a low difficulty? this could affect AI effectiveness?

As for AI dying for no reason: Injured AI don`t always immediately drop dead. If you shot them or hit them with a grenade they can be only wounded and will sometimes get back up and try to walk away. While doing this they are DYING. Sometimes they`ll die and that`s hwne you see them suddenly collapse. I had one AI I shot do this - I left him to deal with other threats and when I went back for him saw him stumbling away. As I was about to finish him off he suddely dropped dead!

it also lacks some post processing effects like motion blur and depth of field. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is really just subjective and nit-picking. It`s fine, adjust your monitor settings in your graphics.
the water surface should actually have been more transparent and it shouldn't be so dark under water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Have you seen proper lake water? And I`m not talking about swimming pool water. the water as shown in Far Cry2 is realistic, that is how it looks.

the missions seem like they have been made with the least effort and time. just having some kind object or NPC that needs to be destroyed or interacted with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh. This game allows YOU to play it how you want. You approach each job and make it your won story. Still games like this don`t suit everyone. I like it cos I like the mercenary `get a job, do a job feel`.

but now i wonder, what will ubi do with Far Cry 3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don`t know about the SDK, but you sure complain a lot and much of it is simply because you either don`t understand or you assume a lot of things and what `seems` to be happening.

A hint:
To avoid detection hide in bushes and or attack at night. If in bushes, make sure the bush is in your field of view, if the bush is not in your screen then the AI will see you. Or attack from long range, although they will seek you out eventually if you do not relocate or use diversions. Use silenced weapons, but even then, try to kill a sentry when he`s away from others (like at the far end of the camp or he will cry out and alert others OR other sentries will walk across his body. if they see his body they will alert the whole camp. Again, realistic.

If you want to start shooting, create a diversion. Shoot someone, then throw a grenade and while that grenade flies, run and hide in the opposite direction. Or shoot an explosive canister. Most AI will look towards where the grenade blew and lose where you are. Creep, attack, rinse, repeat. If it gets too hot - back off and get lost in the bushes.

Also, the terrain of Africa has been extremely well done. It`s a pity that so many like you underate it as if you know the African terrain, when you have no experience of it.

Just treat it realistically (think `what would happen in real life if I shot a guy in a camp full of soldiers?)and you`ll realise how well the game has been done.

Well, this went longer than I expected, but I had to post since so much of your post is just uninformed `seems`.

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-04-2009, 11:32 PM
i encounter these type of people every time i comment a game: fanboys.
what is the reason you're trying to "protect" a game? did you experience my comments as insults?
in any case it is clear you don't know how a game works.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
and the same will all other NPCs do within a certain radius. they just seem to be telepathic... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What happens is IF the NPC is in range of other friendly NPCs he will :
a, Call to them for help.
b, The other NPCs will hear or see the NPC shooting and come running or look where the other NPC shoots and then spot you and shoot towards you.
Simple and realistic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
this might sound all normal but in a game it isn't.
lets not forget NPCs are not people. they are animations controlled by code. this code doesn't hear, see, smell or talk.
whenever you hear a NPC shout for help it is just lines of code playing a specified audio file.

in any case i will make a video and compare Far Cry 2 with Crysis. this video will be for people who are of low intelligence or who just simply never bothered to find out HOW a game works.

i just hope the next person to answer will be somebody who has any experience in development of games or mods.

SeaFireLIV
07-05-2009, 06:39 AM
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I thought I was going to get this response I would`ve ignored you like everyone else has.

I have completed the game and put it away. I am finished with it. I am now on a completely different game, but I like to browse the forums here because a few games I have (like IL2) are here. I have absolutely no vested interest in this game except that I liked it and could see that it was well done.

However, I thought you were asking honest questions in your first post, so I answered them honestly - and you call me a fanboy for doing that??

OK, obviously you just want us all to agree with your point of view and your `it seems` assumptions.

I don`t care whether you like the game or not. I don`t care if you keep the game or sell it.

I no longer care what you think.

Go whine to someone else that might agree to suit you as I will waste no more time with you.

Good riddance.

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-05-2009, 11:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I thought I was going to get this response I would`ve ignored you like everyone else has.

I have completed the game and put it away. I am finished with it. I am now on a completely different game, but I like to browse the forums here because a few games I have (like IL2) are here. I have absolutely no vested interest in this game except that I liked it and could see that it was well done.

However, I thought you were asking honest questions in your first post, so I answered them honestly - and you call me a fanboy for doing that??

OK, obviously you just want us all to agree with your point of view and your `it seems` assumptions.

I don`t care whether you like the game or not. I don`t care if you keep the game or sell it.

I no longer care what you think.

Go whine to someone else that might agree to suit you as I will waste no more time with you.

Good riddance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
seems like i hit a soft spot, lol. you really shouldn't take it as personal as you do. the developers should (man i would love to have a good conversation with then ^_^ ).

in any case i would like people to agree with me... but so really does everyone else including you.
it's simply human nature, nothing wrong with it.

you really don't like that i said "it seams"... ok than i'll say "it is". the only reason i said "it seems" is because people get less angry when i make statements they don't like.

and yes the game "is" unfinished... for example pistols are as accurate as sniper rifles, but only have a limited range.

anyways, criticism is exactly what developers need.
the money got to their heads and now they don't really want to make the "best" game, but rather the "best selling" game.

Ricamundo
07-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Start sarcastic mode...

Dear Mysterious mr m..You are clearly 100% correct in everything you posted. You are obviously the font of all knowledge; why listen to what anyone else has to say?
You, and your 3 posts, should be enshrined as a beacon of light in the FC2 hall of shame, so all the devs who tried, and so clearly failed to impress you can read up on their mistakes, as only you saw them.
You are a genius, as your mum and dad have often told you, and everyone else here, like guys with 10 thousand plus posts, the admins, the devs, myself, well, we're all of
low intelligence, i guess. Not worthy of your time, it seems.

End sarcastic mode...

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Ricamundo... that was just the most awesome reaction i got on my critisizm http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif . that near liquid sarcasm was just great! i love it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif.

a lot of people may not like it but criticism is necessary. you may think i'm not content with the game but it is simply what could be improved. because of course it makes little sense why NPCs are somehow able to get these short bursts of speed. or why pistols are more accurate than assault rifles.

when people like me criticize, they don't mean something is bad. they mean something can be improved.

and about the "people of low intelligence" i said, on other forums i had really stupid reactions like: "a AI that can shoot you from behind cover in an instant from any range is really smart."
that guy said that a aimbot is smart... omg...
or a guy who said that "left 4 dead is a 360 only game made by 360 fanboys" after i previously mentioned the game.

there is a lot with which FC2 can improve and i'm just pointing it out because of the fear nobody else will.

DKM2
07-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Have no fear, these forums are filled with your “concerns”
Its old news and just tiring now for most of us.

Mysterious_Mr_M
07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
if that's so i think i can happily shut up now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i just hope FC3 will have more story.
i really liked the anarchistic philosophy of the jackal (as i myself am a anarchist). very original, but also very close to the truth.