PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a new PC

arc14716
02-21-2008, 04:41 AM
For the past few days, I've been looking at getting a new PC. The one that I'm using now is getting up there in years. It's a 1GHz Pentium III PC with 256 MB memory and a 64MB video card.

I'm not that much into PC gaming. The games I have are of the Sims/Tycoon style of games. Anyway, I've been looking into getting back into playing the Sims 2 and looking at the minimum specs for the latest expansion packs, my PC comes up short. Long story short, it may be time for a new PC.

Since money for me is kind of tight, I don't want to go into customizing a PC like I did with my current one. So, I've been looking at getting a preconfigured PC.

The first one I looked at was a Dell Inspirion 530 like this one. (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8205650) It has a Intel Duo Core E4500 (2.2GHz) processor with 2GB of memory. The other one came from OfficeMax and is on sale until Saturday: An AcerM1610 PC. (http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=574&formid=3404&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&words=all&keywords=&areaid=7) It's similar to the Dell, except it has 2.0 GHz processor and is on sale for $649. The Dell is selling for $798.

So, I've been mulling over both of these PCs for the last few days, deciding which of these would be best for me in the long run. Is the difference in the speed of the processors that big of a difference. Should it even matter? Are Acer PCs even good?

I know, I could do better, but I can't really spend a lot on a PC (more than a $1000) and I just want to be able to play the Sims 2, Zoo Tycoon, SimCity 4, and similar games.

So, between the two which should I go with?

((side note--I did pick up a NVidia GeForce FX 5500 video card knowing that the graphics card that comes with those PCs aren't as good)).

AzaZeL_
02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
Personally i would prefer more Dell ... but in this case, you should probably take the Acer.

dropK1CK_ninJA
02-21-2008, 06:38 AM
I always liked ibuypower.com for their PC choices.

They offer some nice case work to go a long with whatever parts you want to put into the computer. They're legit. Love them.

However, I've had my eye on the Macbook Pro. I wanna dip my foot into the Apple pool but they are so expensive!

stonelance
02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by arc14716:
I just want to be able to play the Sims 2, Zoo Tycoon, SimCity 4

Are you a girl?

The FX 5500 is pretty crappy. It is almost 4 generations old. I hope you got it for free.

arc14716
02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
There's a place out here called ProTek that sells computer and XBox gear. I checked out two video cards that were selling for less than $100: a Nvidia 7200GS and a Nvidia 8400GS. I called their office on the 7200GS and found out it needs a 300 watt power supply. I assume that would be the same for the 8400GS and for any video card they have in stock.

So, I would have to get the Dell since it has a 300 watt power supply versus the Acer which has a 250 watt power supply. If I got the Acer and put one of those video cards in, chances are I would have a whole new set of problems whenever I turned it on.

And the video card I got--it's going back to Wal-Mart since I never opened it.

annexed4x
02-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Stay away from anything proprietary, such as Dell, Hewlett Packard, Compaq, etc....

Anything that your lookin for at Best buy, for an example is ****.

Your best bet is to, build your own, you will spend less money also, & get more bang for your buck out of it.

How much you lookin to spend, on the system upgrade? Ima master builder, I can fix you up at any price range!

I would stay way from the 7200GS, if your contemplating that, your better off lookin at ATi, due to the fact that you will get better FPS, on low-end ATi cards, then low-end Nvidia cards, & they are cheaper!

arc14716
02-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Right now, the Acer is definitely out of the picture. The 250 watt power supply is definitely not going to cut it, especially if I'm going to be getting a Nvidia Series 7 or Series 8 videocard. I returned the video card I bought got from WalMart. I had no idea that thing was several generations old.

I'm not that good with tools so building my own PC is out. Also I don't have the time (and not really the patience) and the know how to take on somthing like that.

I'm going to check out Protek (http://www.protekhawaii.com/). They have a store several miles from where I live to look at what they have in stock and maybe get a quote from them on a PC.

edit--if I go with customizng a PC, should I go with XP or Vista?

AzaZeL_
02-22-2008, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by arc14716: edit--if I go with customizng a PC, should I go with XP or Vista?
Vista needs more than 1mb RAM to run smooth, since it will take about half of it to run the system ... so at this point, you should go with the XP. Atleast i would ... ^^

ShadowSkullV5
02-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by AzaZeL_:
1mb RAM

xD

arc14716
02-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I knew he meant 1 GB RAM. Vista sounds like it's a resource hog. If given a choice, maybe I will go with XP. Sounds like Vista has been somewhat problematic with some people.

AzaZeL_
02-22-2008, 02:33 PM
... 1 GB it was lol. ^^ , sry my mistake. But if you gonna have more than 1 GB RAM, then Vista should be no problem at all ... while I'm running XP home with 3 (4) GB RAM.

annexed4x
02-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Actually, Vista only needs 1 gig to run if you go ahead & run the vista basic home edition & it will run smoothly. If your gonna run the fancy version of Vista then 2 gigs required.
Its not even worth the money, to buy the expensive Vista newayz.

Building a computer takes bout 20 minutes.
But I understand what your saying.

Just make sure to go with a low end ATi card, over low end Nvidia, you will get more bang for buck!
There catalyst drivers work great, despite what people say, they just dont know what they are doing.

I would have to know what mobo your running.
Is it Pci Xpress or AGP?
you only have a 250 watt PS? Holy ****, ill send you a 400 watter, for FREE!! I only have like 5 of em laying round! all brand new, ripped em out of a few cases where I installed a couple..

900 watters 850 watters 650 watters.

Allanon
02-22-2008, 02:39 PM
If you have to go with a preconfigured PC I'd stay away from Dell... I personally think HP is one of the better computer manufacturers, but I would not buy a model that only has a 300W PSU... even for a lower end video card you should have at least a 350 or 400... do not skimp on a PSU or you will regret it.

I honestly don't know why you don't want to build one though... it is really not hard and even if you don't want to figure it out, most computer repair places build PC's and you would still probably be able to get a better price IMO.

P.S. You survived on a Pentium III for this long... wow....

annexed4x
02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
I have OC'd P3's to insane amounts.

p3's aint all that bad http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

arc14716
02-23-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm going to start checking out ProTek sometime in the next few weeks and see what they have to offer. I forgot to call and ask them what payment options they offer.

There was another place called Clear Image that specialized in making custom PCs, but they closed a few years ago, around the P4 years.

One quick question--Is there something wrong with Dell PCs these days? I thought they were pretty good and they had good customer service.

stonelance
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a Dell XPS desktop and it runs great, just a little loud. I hear their laptops are not so great. The nice thing about something like dell is that if you are patient and keep an eye on something like slickdeals.net you can get a really good deal. I got my $4k machine for less than $2k

arc14716
02-23-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm checking out those Dell ads in Parade magazine, which comes out with the Sunday paper. So far, I've come up with some good deals, but I'm going to wait and see myself as well to see if the price drops.

annexed4x
02-25-2008, 01:23 PM
The only thing good bout the XPS's, is that you can get them with terabyte hard drives!
Draw back, they were loading those computers with nvidia 7800's, & I seen the price on the comps, & they cosy way too much for what you are getting, I can embarrass that computer with half the cost, if you leave out the terabyte HD. A terabyte is 1000 gigs, are you serious?

When will you ever use it all? You wont!

Whats the speed, of the HD, 5400 rpm, 7200rpm?
Its better to buy a small HD at 10k rpm's, then buy the cheap 350 to 500 gig HD's, & run them in sata, so therfore when it gets full, label it, & install a new one, so that way your operating system boots from the small 10k rpm HD, & your 7200 rpm sata stores everything!

Dell is horrible, all there components are garbage, they dum them down, they always give you cheap outdated ****.

For example, you can go & look ata Dell, & see it says dual core 2.4 gigs? Sounds great right?

But what is the front side bus, & what motherboard is it being used in?
9x outta 10, proprietary systems, use cheap mobo's, to dull the price down, therefore sticking you with a **** processor with a slow FSB, & no room for upgrade unless you want to spend a fortune!!

Every single Dell product = garbage!