PDA

View Full Version : SH4 powers off my PC

hemzy
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I have a problem which I haven't been able to come across on the rest of the threads; If I've overlooked it, I apologize in advance.
I can play SH4 for about 5-10 minutes before my PC powers-off completely. This doesn't happen when using office apps or surfing the net etc.
Searches of knowledge bases suggest either a PSU problem or overheating.
I find this hard to believe as the cause of my problem.
I have a new PC with an ASUS Striker II motherboard, a Core2 Quad 2.66Ghz processor, 8Gb RAM, GeForce 9800GTX video card in a Coolermaster Cosmos case which is very well cooled. All nVidia drivers are up to date as are SH4 patches. I am running on Vista Home Premium 64bit. I have a 750Watt PSU.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Regards
hemzy

hemzy
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I have a problem which I haven't been able to come across on the rest of the threads; If I've overlooked it, I apologize in advance.
I can play SH4 for about 5-10 minutes before my PC powers-off completely. This doesn't happen when using office apps or surfing the net etc.
Searches of knowledge bases suggest either a PSU problem or overheating.
I find this hard to believe as the cause of my problem.
I have a new PC with an ASUS Striker II motherboard, a Core2 Quad 2.66Ghz processor, 8Gb RAM, GeForce 9800GTX video card in a Coolermaster Cosmos case which is very well cooled. All nVidia drivers are up to date as are SH4 patches. I am running on Vista Home Premium 64bit. I have a 750Watt PSU.
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Regards
hemzy

tambor198
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Hmmmmmm.....I was going to say after reading about your problems that it sounds like an overheating problem, especially with your video card. If your have the luxury of being able to adjust the fan position and have one on the side of your case, try positioning the fan so it will blow directly on the video card. Also try leaving the side of your case open and see if that helps.

One more suggestion, try running with just 4 gigs of memory and see if it makes a difference.

hemzy
07-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Ok,well there's nothing like a request for help to reveal my ignorance...lol.
Thanks Tambor for replying, now could you explain in idiot-proof terminology how I reduce my RAM usage to 4 Gig? Also to try and reduce my ignorance could you explain why less RAM is better, to my layman's brain that seems counter intuitive.
Again, thanks for replying.
Hemzy

tambor198
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hemzy:
Ok,well there's nothing like a request for help to reveal my ignorance...lol.
Thanks Tambor for replying, now could you explain in idiot-proof terminology how I reduce my RAM usage to 4 Gig? Also to try and reduce my ignorance could you explain why less RAM is better, to my layman's brain that seems counter intuitive.
Again, thanks for replying.
Hemzy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem, Hemzy. Always happy to help out where I can. Usually when one reduces the amount of memory one has in their computer, it is just a matter of opening up your computer case and removing one or two sticks of ram. And as for why 4 gigs would be better to run than 8 gigs, I don't know. Some games have a maximum amout of ram that they will run with. It was a suggestion I thought might be worth trying to solve your problem. I'm not trying to be insulting, but from your lack of general computer knowledge I'm guessing you purchased this computer from somewhere. Could you tell me what kind of computer it is?

Frank_Oconnor
07-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm guessing overheating related to the graphics card.

Reason: for the other activities you mention the graphics card wouldn't be under any strain at all - hey, 2D acceleration is a breeze with no graphic card overheads.

The way to test this hypothesis would be to run a game or application (other than SH4) that stretched the 3D capabilities of the graphics card ... and there are plenty of demos of 3D games out there that can be downloaded and played if you don't have any others at home.

Alternatively, you could download one of the 3D graphics test suites and run that.

Also, there are graphics utility packages that monitor heat and temperature of the graphics card, and which support test stressing graphics cards as well as perfomance measurement.

Try either of these routes and let us know what happens.

Regards,

Frank_Oconnor
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Oh yeah,

Could also be a power supply issue related to the graphics card (those new GPU puppies suck power like you wouldn't believe through those 6 pin power cables) ... as the power supply tends to be a major problem on all new boxen.

750W should be plenty - but if the puppy is defective in any way (and for some reason heaps of PSU seem to fail nowadays) the aggravation it can cause is seriously disconcerting.

Regards (yet again)

TheRedAngelz
07-16-2008, 01:41 AM
I had the same problem. A shutdown is a sign of Windows System failure. Disabling sound hardware acceleration (something like that) in DXDIAG should do the trick.