PDA

View Full Version : Maps with depth

djcee
04-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I still dont have Evolution yet, but i'm getting it soon. One thing I found the old editor lacked (mainly due to the small sized buildings) was a feeling of depth to the maps. I always wanted to get that feeling that you really were inside a canyon with things on the outside.
For example, in the game Black (good game) on the foundry level, in the distance for quite a long way you can see huge smoke stacks and buildings in the distance, which gives you the feeling that you are in a chemical plant, which is actually inland.

When I attempted to do this on FC:I you couldnt see anything over the mountains, and therefore still had that small-island feel to it.

I just want to know, is the new brush set enough to add quite a bit of depth to a level to make it feel like your not on an island in the new editor for Evolution? If it is that would be my dream come true, because I find the tropical Island theme so boring now. Also do the objects in the new brush set look like they are more inland objects and not run down tropical island-based objects? Please answer!

DarkReyule
04-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by djcee:
I still dont have Evolution yet, but i'm getting it soon. One thing I found the old editor lacked (mainly due to the small sized buildings) was a feeling of depth to the maps. I always wanted to get that feeling that you really were inside a canyon with things on the outside.
For example, in the game Black (good game) on the foundry level, in the distance for quite a long way you can see huge smoke stacks and buildings in the distance, which gives you the feeling that you are in a chemical plant, which is actually inland.

When I attempted to do this on FC:I you couldnt see anything over the mountains, and therefore still had that small-island feel to it.

I just want to know, is the new brush set enough to add quite a bit of depth to a level to make it feel like your not on an island in the new editor for Evolution? If it is that would be my dream come true, because I find the tropical Island theme so boring now. Also do the objects in the new brush set look like they are more inland objects and not run down tropical island-based objects? Please answer!

Funny you should say this as I just finished doing a map that does this exact thing.

I made it for FC:IP but seeing that FC:IE and FC:IP have the same brushes you could do it as well.

Feel free to send me a friend's request and I would be glad to show you around.

djcee
04-05-2006, 02:51 PM
hey, that map looks really cool (i'm assuming its the forest on ein your pics.) Yeh, it looks like a real map, the texture of the grass looks really realistic, though i guess that's the xbox 360s amazing graphics system http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Maxprey
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
It's honestly not the mapmaker in the game that makes a map have depth, but the mapmaker using the game. Depth in FarCry has to be a planned part of your map, as everything past the invisible wall is wate - and that we can do nothing about. Layering mountians in rows that get thinner the further away from the center of the map they get is a good way to add depth. Structures on tall mountains that are inaccessable also give this feeling. Fog can help here alot as well, but overall it is up to the person making the map to add the depth - not the application.

djcee
04-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes, i know this. I meant the first editor didnt really give you any tall buildings to put on your maps

claybacca
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah, kind of like what they do in movies called "forced perspective." Just make things smaller and they will look further away at a certain distance.

xboxdude56
04-05-2006, 06:04 PM
looks fine to me, its how the editor does it

DarkReyule
04-06-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by djcee:
hey, that map looks really cool (i'm assuming its the forest on ein your pics.) Yeh, it looks like a real map, the texture of the grass looks really realistic, though i guess that's the xbox 360s amazing graphics system http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

I should have it up tonight, I wasn't on last night so if you want please send me a friends request (whats your GT?)