PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Moments from a Shooter game.

BS PALADIN
08-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Just wondering what your favourite gaming moments were from any shooters that have been released in the last few years. Here's mine in no particular order :

1 Attacking the port in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. I couldn't believe that i had to capture an entire town using any tactics i wished including tank support.

2. Playing Caves on Ghost Recon. I first got this game and kept getting shot and i had no idea where from. I thought the game was broken. Stop playing for 6 months then came back to it. Took my time and then noticed i was getting sniped from a guy in the wooded area. First thoughts, Dam thats hardcore. I love this FKING game.

3. The silent cartographer on HALO. Just play it. Amazing level. Turned me into a xbox fanboy.

BS PALADIN
08-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Just wondering what your favourite gaming moments were from any shooters that have been released in the last few years. Here's mine in no particular order :

1 Attacking the port in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. I couldn't believe that i had to capture an entire town using any tactics i wished including tank support.

2. Playing Caves on Ghost Recon. I first got this game and kept getting shot and i had no idea where from. I thought the game was broken. Stop playing for 6 months then came back to it. Took my time and then noticed i was getting sniped from a guy in the wooded area. First thoughts, Dam thats hardcore. I love this FKING game.

3. The silent cartographer on HALO. Just play it. Amazing level. Turned me into a xbox fanboy.

kimi_
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Oh man I have so many of these from Rainbow Six. It's been a few years and my memory is so bad...I'll have to think of them. And now you got me wracking my brain trying to remember those heart pounding moments I encountered!

Toogr82h8
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
I would say playing the co op mode in G.R.A.W 2. It was the most enjoyable for me because my clan and I did it all in one night. Although we were hung up on shipping port for the longest time. It was really fun how much teamwork it took to beat those levels. Especially shipping port. The first time we attempted it through maybe the tenth we had no idea what to do. After figuring out the encounter it was not all that difficult.

Jermtheory
08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PALADIN_BS:

3. The silent cartographer on HALO. Just play it. Amazing level. Turned me into a xbox fanboy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

reading 2 and 3 i thought i may have posted that and forgot about it....

didnt even want an xbox,got it as a gift with Halo...my ps2 turned into a dust collector after that.SC was probably my favorite level as well...then MP had me hooked for almost 2 years.

first time i played OGR i turned it off after about ten minutes."where-tf is my gun?","this looks like ****","he only hit me once!".....

couple months later i was really bored and gave it another shot.turned out to be my favorite game ever(along with IT).

XxCH0NGxX
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
My favorite moment was when I first played Ghost Recon on the PC and saw the ghillie suit. Reminded me of the movie Sniper with Tom Berenger. I played the hell out of that game. Then when it came out on the xbox, I played the hell out of it yet again. And so I did on Island Thunder. Then Ghost Recon 2 came out in 3rd person, and the ghillie suit was gone. My least favorite moment in shooter games.

GrimlockCW
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
old rainbow six and using an MP5 to snipe has to be an odd one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

aside from that... hmm

sniping and finding myself sniping a sniper who sniped me at the same time! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

as for awe inspiring moments.. non really from an FPS, though seeing Farcry in action on my own PC was a hoot, as for overall moments in an First person game
i'd say my first time exploring an MMO (Everquest, it was First person primary originally. So its not a shooter, but it was FP http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) was one trip to remember.. had an NPC attacking me and i thought it was a player http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
but to walk out into the Field of Bone for the first time and see the whole vast expanse of it, and the ruins of the former Empire that once ruled over that area all over.
it was just something to behold at the time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

i can't say any console game ever gave me a good moment worth remembering, cause being a PC gamer at heart i've seen most things already and consoles have always been behind in doing such, or had to wait for a port of my PC games.

though its changing now with M$ trying to mix the 2 together...

Jermtheory
08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
thought of a couple more...

Deus Ex-

its all a little vague so forgive me...

on the plane where you're supposed to kill the guy,but he starts telling you some interesting stuff.my partner(the big cyborg/mutant type)try's to finish the job after unsuccessfully prodding me to do so,but i wanted to hear more and ended up killing my partner trying to defend the "target".

i didnt even have time to think about it,it just sucked me in and i reacted out of instinct.the way it affected the story and other characters suspected what i had done throughout the game was totally new to me.i had actually expected the game to end for me killing my partner...but it didnt,it just made me deal with the consequences.

to a lesser extent...

being warned by the boss for going into the ladies rest room(hours after it had happened)...returning to a window i had broken into earlier in the game,to find it now had bars...

the game really blew me away with moments like this.

Red Faction-

the part that really stuck with me the most is following the "mad scientist" into the caverns.fighting the mutants as he taunted you with things like "recognize your friends"...

not sure if its really a
"shooter",but the original Tomb Raider had alot of "WOW! moments" for me.

AI BLUEFOX
08-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Three stand out for me. All on the GR franchise, it's 90% of my game time.

The first was playing online for the first time, and someone shot me, then stood over me and tea-bagged me. Then later getting spawn killed and realising that playing computer games was never going to be the same again, because playing people was so much more real. They annoy you, they abuse you, they surprise you.

The second was getting spawn killed - perverse I know - and being the only player that stuck in the room. I got annoyed you see, and was determined to get out. After over 9 minutes of it and 103 deaths I got out and hit 5 of them. I was ecstatic, especially as this was when you respawned on single shot mode. Afterwards they invited me to spawn kill with them, because I said I'd rather die a hundred times than quit once. I did, and it was kind of therapeutic in a hypnotic way, but really boring so I quit then. It was escaping from spawn killing and getting friends in to spawn killing rooms to shut them up or the room down that makes me support the old spawn system as an in game option. It was fun and stimulating taking those teams on, and I miss not doing it occasionally on GRAW 2.

The third and by far the best - do it if you can - was getting into a clan and working with team mates. Strategy, tactics, communication, not just reaction times were now important. The first competitive match was intense and some great battles have been fought, and some great comraderie developed. I've now been in the same team for over 18 months, and we've beaten some groups of much better players. We've also taken some bad slappings as a group too. Not played Paladins lot, but we are on the PZ ladders. I think they'll slap us, though.

ubermoob
08-25-2007, 10:57 PM
My favorite moments in a shooter probably happened while playing a Delta Force game.
When you realize your .50 cal has a 10x scope and you can climb on top of that mountain over there and kill everybody on the entire map..you just sort of go HOLY****ING****!! COOL!!!!!!!!

Though I cannot forget having my XBOX hooked up to my surround sound while playing OGR for the first time. The first time I stood near a tank when it fired I was hooked on GR.
Delta Force was cool because it had the full openness of the real world and no invisible walls bull**** but in Ghost Recon you had even more realistic gameplay,graphics,sfx and you had a fully controlable squad. In Delta Force your backup is AI and they usually get capped pretty fast.
Creeping around Red Square in OGR trying to finish the game again on veteran mode with only a sniper and a demo expert...that was hardcore .
I recently got my copy of OGR back from the friend I gave it to when my xbox crapped out on me. I am remembering what it was like to have to spend hours trying to make it through a single mission. The only thing that made the game endurable in the beginning was the save anywhere like a noob feature http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif.

I had a really hilarious CoD experience once..I spent nearly 2 minutes engaged in a melee battle with the same guy before I finally managed to kill him ..some things are only possible with a regenerating health system http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

paganpenguin
08-26-2007, 02:48 AM
Not having as much experience of many shooters, I think some of my favourite moments (memories?) are:

Playing my first ranked GRAW match. Not only were the people in the room helpful, they didn't mind that I couldn't use the mic much (girlfriend was trying to sleep on the settee) and that I wasn't based stateside (with being in the UK my connection at that time wasn't as good as it is now). Didn't win and only shot two people but I had a laugh. Shame the rest had to leave when they did...

The first time I scored 25 kills in a standard 50 point Team elimination GRAW match (player not ranked). This match was also the closet due to two factors - team killing on both sides and that people actually played the game well! A random room and it actually worked, shame that people had to go (although the team killers were booted during the game).

The first CTF game I played. My heart was racing when I managed to get the flag. I ran, to the sounds of a very loud thumping heart, and managed to get within inches of my base when I got shot.

Now that I think of it, these are all fairly recent - never used to be a shooter fan.

Used_Gamertag
08-26-2007, 03:44 PM
In the original GRAW, I sucked when I first played the game on Xbox Live. Mostly due to me not knowing what to do becasue I just became used to the single player. I wasnt the worst player at first but I was far from the best. Then my Xbox Live account screwed up due to a faulty IP address and DNS server. When I came back I did worse than before eventually quitting GRAW for about 6 months. I came back after seeing some YouTube vids on how some hardcore clan players do that and then I thought to myself "I could do that". Ever since then I would go on GRAW everyday and play Team Elimination, have the victory of a set time for an hour on full games, and win by over 40 points each game I play with my team getitng over 100 while the losing team gets about 40-60. I would be in the lead with over 75 points. When I first saw that I won by a major landslide I couldnt believe myself and swore at myself in disbelief so much I got a 3% in trash talk and foul language. At least GRAW 2 isnt as cheap as GRAW 1 is even though I keep winning most matches I play and come in first.

This other time I was in Desert Gulth on a 2 vs. 2 match. I was playing aganst these 2 guys who were using the same console and system and they were some of the best players I have ever played aganst. However I have always kept one step ahead of them when I told my team mate to fall back to our spawn point during the last 30 seconds of the game and hide to ensure we would win. I only saw one of the opposing teammates charging towards us 15 seconds later but I killed him before he could even shot me. We won the match by retreating.

And also more recently in GRAW 2 I was in headquarters in a 12 player team deathmatch. I hate Headquarters when there are more than 8 people in the map and I usually die first and get a mediocre ammount of kills on that map due to campers (which is why I like to call it Head-Campers). I won the match with more than half the team kills and by simply charging towards their spawn and killing them as soon as they run towards one of the ways to get out while I was in the open.

shadownet_363
08-28-2007, 02:44 AM
my fave moments in shooters......

.rainbow six(xbox)defending the oil company ceo
.graw defending the us embassy in zocolo plaza
.rainbow six vegas assaulting down the side of
vertigo spire tower bar.
.graw destroying guardrail nine
.graw2 firefight with the rebels after the
blackhawk gets shot down