PDA

View Full Version : PC based Dolby Digital Problem

BauerCTU
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
i want 5.1 DD out of my pc. my setup has sp/dif out to my home theatre amp. all im getting is a 2ch stereo signal. is the fact that i need to do something or is the game designed for Soundcard decoding and i simply cant send the signal down spdif ? any help would be nice as it would make the experience so much better

BauerCTU
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
i want 5.1 DD out of my pc. my setup has sp/dif out to my home theatre amp. all im getting is a 2ch stereo signal. is the fact that i need to do something or is the game designed for Soundcard decoding and i simply cant send the signal down spdif ? any help would be nice as it would make the experience so much better

DaWizeGuy
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BauerCTU:
i want 5.1 DD out of my pc. my setup has sp/dif out to my home theatre amp. all im getting is a 2ch stereo signal. is the fact that i need to do something or is the game designed for Soundcard decoding and i simply cant send the signal down spdif ? any help would be nice as it would make the experience so much better <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Dolby Digital is pure marketing since the game engine itself doesn't output DD 5.1 sound. You need a souncard which can encode DD on the fly which narrows it down to the nVidia Soundstorm on the nForce 2 (AMD K7 Athlon platform). The game engine uses regular DirectSound3D (with EAX HD extensions) which is very bit as good as DD 5.1 if not better.